Author Topic: 8/25 through 8/31  (Read 3586 times)

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
8/25 through 8/31
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
  We spent last week at campsite #8 in Big Meadow. We had always coveted this site since it's right on the creek, and is a fairly large site. We have a 13 X 9 foot tent so we need the space. We felt real blessed when we saw that it was open. We drive up to Bishop from Riverside on Saturday and stay at the Vagabond Inn every year, and go to dinner at La Casita Mexican restaurant (good margaritas and Super Burrito!). Then we get up early on Sunday, stop at Schat's for Sheepherder bread, and then head up the hill. We got to Big Meadow about 9:00 AM, and got the site we wanted. We've experimented with different arrival days and times and have found that early Sunday works best.
  The weather was spectacular all week, there was about a 5 minute slight rain shower on  saw was 76 degrees, and one night it dipped to 39. But the average low was about 43. The creek was as low as I've seen it, but it was stocked on both Monday and Tuesday. A lot of fish were pulled out the rest of the week. I didn't fish this year, for several reasons, but I brought four books to read, so I laid in my hammock and read and listened to the wind blow through the trees. The blue jays were very vocal begging for peanuts, and we had a pair of chipmunks that thought our campsite was a race track. It was pretty funny watching them chase each other back and forth, back and forth.
  It was a spectacular trip for my sister and I (her husband doesn't camp and neither does my wife). We first came to Rock Creek in about 1957 with our parents, and the love of it has stayed with us all these years (we come up every August for the last many years). I'm already anticipating next year's trip, I'm not sure how I'll manage to wait!  :camping:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: 8/25 through 8/31
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
sounds spectacular steve!!!       

love that campsite as well:)

hummm...   i am thinking it must have been hard to read while laying in the hammock listening to the wind in the trees.. weren't your eyes closed?  :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »
Ummm, not ALL the time!

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
Sounds like a real relaxing trip. I love reading too, but when we are up there I hear the voices...many voices....."come and catch me!" LOL  Glad you had a wonderful time. My wife and I try to make at least two trips a year there. I also agree that once it closes it seems like eternity before it reopens in the spring.
"Don't get no better than this!"

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »
I swear fish whistle at me.... :lol2:  Sounds great Steve, we've enjoyed  La Casita,  too. Love the bread, too. I can't sit still to save my life on the east side, someday I hope I can learn. Thanks for sharing your wonderful time. Glad you had very near perfect weather.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
I'm the General Manager of a performance auto parts manufacturer, so I get pretty busy (sometimes 40+ phone calls per day). So to get the chance to sit and do absolutely nothing is a real treat.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »
Fish just laugh at me.   :D   But sounds like a very relaxing trip for you and your sister.  For me, I have to be hiking, fishing and taking great pictures of the Rock Creek area.  Hope when Iím up there next I can get great weather like you did!  Thanks for the trip report.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:33:58 AM »
Big Steve, you just put a major smile on my face.  I love my hammock in the aspens, hearing the wind rustle the leaves and sometimes whip them into the air for great performances like ballerinas.  Thanks for the report and whetting all of our appetites for, well, all of it!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:53:44 AM »
I forgot to mention that the only downside to the trip was the fact that the new bathrooms were closed and they had set up a couple of port a potties in front of the bathroom building. In speaking with the hosts (nice people by the way) we learned that when the new bathrooms were constructed the toilets were unable to flush properly at 8500 feet. So they're going to be changing them out, but the hosts didn't know when. It was a minor inconvenience. There's not much room to maneuver in a port a pottie for me (I'm 6'4"). I guess Iris is in the same boat, but I don't know about the campgrounds further up the road.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
Thanks for the "heads" up, Steve.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »
 :clap: