Author Topic: Any Fall Color reports?  (Read 5364 times)

raswilliam

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Any Fall Color reports?
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »
Hello,

Forum newbie Here. I've been trying to experience the Eastern Sierra falls colors for years now and I'm determined to make it happen this year. The interweb is full of fall color report but it's a pain sorting through all the old one's. I know it can happen quick so I don't want to miss out.

Any recent eye witness accounts? Thanks in advance.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Any Fall Color reports?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:55:43 AM »
Heading up tomorrow for a few days.
Will post a report when we get back.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:47:13 AM »
WE were at Bishop Creek/Lake Sabrina over Labor Day and it was just begining . We go up in October every year and it is always BEAUTIFUL  :clap:  even better there aren't a lot of people  :camping: 
Can't Wait :happy: :happy: :campfiregroup: :marshmallow: :dogrun:
The Creek is Waiting...

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:16:01 AM »
We are headed up the 28th of Sept. through 4th of Oct. Typically the colors are really beautiful then. If it gets colder at night earlier then it may advance a little. It really is the best time of the year to go if you don't mind the cooler nights. The bite slows a bit but I have found that the size of the fish you do catch can be bigger too.
"Don't get no better than this!"

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum, raswilliam.  The end of September through the first two weeks of October is almost always the best time to go for the colors.  If they are not showing at lower elevations, take a hike up higher.  If you get to the June Loop, drive down to the aspen lined road around Silver Lake and, if you get the chance, get to the back of Parker Lake and Walker Lake for their aspen displays, both around 8,000 foot elevation.  There is also the back end of Grant Lake that usually attracts a lot of photographers around this time.  Kind of convenient since you can park along the roadside and soak it all in.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »
welcome welcome!!!

i found this tidbit that was put out by the mono county tourism folks:

BEST MONO COUNTY FALL COLOR VIEWING SPOTS:
Particularly good hot spots are the Lee Vining and Lundy Canyon area near Mono Lake and Yosemite, Rock Creek south of Mammoth Lakes, McGee Creek, Convict Lake, and the June Lake Loop.  Around Bridgeport, you won't want to miss Virginia Lakes, Twin Lakes and the Conway Summit.  The West Walker River is also lined with gold.

Fall Colors by Foot: Day hikes in Lundy Canyon, McGee Creek or Rock Creek Canyon are sure to impress. Stop by one of the region's Visitor Centers to get directions and maps.

Fall Colors by Car: Tioga Pass (Route 120) climbs through dramatic and rugged Lee Vining Canyon, connecting the Great Basin landscapes with the high alpine meadows of Yosemite. The June Lake Loop (Hwy. 158) is a gorgeous aspen-lined drive which links numerous lakes.  Rock Creek Road is also a colorful drive -- be sure to stop by Rock Creek Lakes Resort for home-made pie!

CURRENT FALL COLOR REPORT - Check here for fall color updates, week by week. We try and describe by percentages how close the fall color hot spots are to "peak" and full color.  So 0-15% is still mostly green, lime green with some yellow.  Of course, 80-100% will be at peak with colors ranging from bright yellow, golds, oranges and reds.

Last updated: 9/5/13 - Still very early for any color changes. Some off green colors are starting to appear in select locations. The best time for fall color viewing is usually the end of September through the month of October.

and here is the link to that page:   http://www.monocounty.org/fall-colors/

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:29:09 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Fran

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »
October is usually the peak.  Here are some scenes from mid-October 2011.  That was just a little past the peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSEl0iaYARs

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
Nice pictures fran!  Don't look like you missed the peak color by much!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
what a fantastic presentation of photos fran!     thank you so much for providing that link!   

came back from a couple days in nevada yesterday,, and the cottonwoods were just starting to turn along the yuba river. ...  (runs along side hwy 80)

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »
Just got back from three days at French Camp.
Leaves are turning. Some beautiful yellows, but still a lot of green.

First two weeks of October should be awesome.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

maverick

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
Thanks for that link, Mav.  I head up in 11 days to Silver Lake and hope to take in a beautiful display of color, just like Jared was showing us.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »
This past weekend the leaves were turning throughout the canyon.  The higher up you go the more yellow the leaves have turned. 
The creek is waiting...

maverick

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »

Report from this weekend from a fellow photographer:

" I was looking for aspens turning. I checked Hope Valley, Monitor Pass, down 395 to
  Conway Summit, nothing, they were all green with an occasional tree that had a
  few yellow leaves.

After Conway I turned onto the Virginia Lakes road and explored the Aspens in that
  area, same thing, a few with some yellow, no all yellow trees that I could find. I
  even 4WD up some dirt roads as far as I could go, same story.

It wasn't looking good so I detoured out to Bodie and wandered around there for a
  couple hours trying to find stuff I had not photographed on previous visits.

I checked Dunderberg, June Lake Loop, Lundy Lake, and continued checking all the
  spots I knew about on down to Bridgeport. It wasn't until I got to North Lake very
  late in the day that I found any real color. In that area yes, the change is underway.
  Most trees are yellow, many are orange. Looks like it will be in full glory in a
  week or so."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
Mother Nature can be fickle but looks to me that in one to two weeks fall colors should be in peek in most areas.  I was at Rock Creek Saturday and is starting to look real good in the upper sections.  I think we need a “Fall Colors” photo stream so we can see the colors as they change and not just talk about it.  ;D
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
You can check out http://www.californiafallcolor.com/

They have daily updates of fall color sightings
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
rock creek  posted this photo on facebook today.....   from today:)