Author Topic: Week at the creek  (Read 6505 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Week at the creek
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »
Sadly I had to come home after spending  a week Camping/fishing. Stayed in Iris Meadow and pretty much had the place to myself. There was never more than 4 other campers and sites 3 and 4 have been closed off by the Forest Service due to erosion problems.. The road in the campground was re graveled and packed down which made it very nice to drive on...Restrooms are still closed and the Forest Service is suing the contractor that built them..

I mainly fished the Upper Owens and the fishing was excellent, water was clear and no weed problems...River was stocked on Wednesday and I watched the DFW fellow dump in 24 nets of large fish near where I was fishing...fish were all in the 1-2 pound range... I was catching 25-30 fish a day and never once caught a small fish.   There were very few people on the river all week, even on Saturday maybe 12-15 fishermen...

Weather was perfect, mid to high 70's, cloud cover every day and no wind at all.... Thursday at 1730 hours I walked to the trash bins in Iris Meadow and as soon as I got there the rain began to pour down..By the time I walked back to my campsite I was absolutely soaked. It poured for about a hour...

Went to Palisades campground on Friday and saw the bear box from site 4 had been moved about 100 feet and was sitting alongside the road above the creek bank,,,, why the hell someone moved it so far as they weigh over 500 pounds.. Campground host said they will have to have a skip loader put it back where it belongs..

Rock Creek is running low, I did manage to catch about 8 fish in Iris Meadow area but all fish were only about 6-8 inches..  The Aspen trees are starting to turn color, leaves are becoming yellow in color. a few more weeks before the beauty of the fall colors..

Was surprised that French Camp had almost 40 campers, unusual for that many this time of the year... East fork, per the host only had 9 campers...

Great trip, outstanding Owens River fishing, I shall return in about 3 weeks for my final trip of the season.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Week at the creek
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »
sounds absolutely perfect retired!    another successful trip under your belt:)

i sure dont understand why everyone feels the need to destroy palisades...    ugh!!!!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
Awesome report.......glad is was a success :clap:
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
Sounds like a nice trip, Roy. Iris meadows was fairly empty when I was there last month too. The fishing was a little better then, but the water level was dropping fast. Hope your next trip is great! Thanks for sharing.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »
Nice report Roy

You always seem to do well fishing the owens, something I haven't done much of but I think that needs to change. I will be up there again in about 4-5 weeks, cant wait. That will be my 3rd trip this year, how many are you up to 8-10 ?  I sure hope I get to fish as much as you do when I`m retired.  :fishing3:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
This last trip was my 10th, 3 before the season opener fishing the Lower Owens, and 7 in Rock Creek...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »
way to have fun R96
 glad the fishing was good.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
Anyone notice the old bathrooms in all the other campgrounds are working great?  Stupid ass RRM and forest service...can't leave well enough alone.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
Nice trip report!  Hope to get up there this weekend and find some fish.  Yes, there have been increased issues in Palisade this year, don't know what people are thinking.  I am sure Fall will be in full swing soon and I am looking to the cooler temps they are forcasting this weekend!
The creek is waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
Anyone notice the old bathrooms in all the other campgrounds are working great?  Stupid ass RRM and forest service...can't leave well enough alone.

The new bathrooms at Convict Lake are not working either and Porta Pottys are in place..

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 06:24:45 AM »
Roy, Congrats on the excellent trip.

I find it odd the restrooms were closed, yet the campground was open. Or did they have outhouses in place?

As always, thanks for bringing your report here.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 06:36:56 AM »
Roy, Congrats on the excellent trip.

I find it odd the restrooms were closed, yet the campground was open. Or did they have outhouses in place?

As always, thanks for bringing your report here.
[/quote

They had two porta pottys placed in front of the closed restrooms...

amentze

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Mentze.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
Can anybody say, if Big Meadow, East Fork and the Lake restrooms are open?

Sierraslam

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Big Meadow has out houses, not sure about East Fork.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
Eastforks restrooms were not re-done so they are fine.
The Creek is Waiting...