Author Topic: Fishin Boat  (Read 4959 times)

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Fishin Boat
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/bstolton/bth_IMG_11001280x960_zps14ae403c.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/bstolton/bth_IMG_1102960x1280_zps9e390204.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/bstolton/bth_IMG_1099768x1024_zps30b0e017.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/bstolton/bth_IMG_10971024x768_zps6f40bf18.jpg

Project I have been working on that I thought some of you might appreciate, 21' pontoon boat that I am restoring and hope to use to catch stripers and trout from. I launched it for the first time on Monday at Silverwood lake, but unfortunately  couldn't get it started. We will be back to try again.  :fishing3:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Fishin Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
wow!  what a project!

not starting is an engine issue, not a boat issue:)     

so since your boat didnt sink,,, you can claim victory!  yea!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
Dropped it off at Sun Country Marine this morning, so they can take a look at it and see what`s wrong hopefully. I already had them rebuild the carbs and do a full service on it earlier this year, so I`m hopping they can finally get it right this time.

I wanna go Fishin!  :fishing3:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
Fishin Boat update.

I`ve been back out to Lake Silverwood to try my hand at Striper fishing, 4 trips = 4 striper. Apparently I`m only good for 1 per trip  :lol2:
Anybody have any tips that might help this half-ass trout fisherman learn how to get closer to a limit of striper, feel free to chime in.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »

Bill.  Stripers move in schools...many times large ones. Where you find one you will find others. When boiling they may not travel far after surface activity. When boiling I use a shallow running lure (very large) and pull it fast. When down I will use a medium to heavy spoon to get under the shad. I have found they love ledges...so if you find one hanging out on a ledge there will be others in the general vicinity. Locating the larger fish is not hard with sonar and these can many times be enticed to bite when jigging a large to medium weight spoon.

The only stripper fishing I have done has been at Pyramid and San Antonio Lakes. I have never tried Silverwood Lake. These fish LOVE to feed, and will do so for a couple hours or so until full then hang-out in the general area where the baitfish are. The key, I have found, is locating the bait they are feeding on and be there when they decide to feed in a frenzy...they won't be far as they will follow this school of baitfish.
"Don't get no better than this!"

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
Fshrsmn
Thanks for the tips. So far I've been fishing with cut bait (anchovies) and flukes on a scrounger head with some success. I haven't had any luck with trout like swim baits, either casting or trolling. No luck trolling the flukes either. Learning how to correctly read the fish finder and figuring out the right speed and depth for trolling, I know will just take time. I must say so far I'm enjoying the challenge, all though there has been some frustrating moments. It's amazing how it all becomes worth it the moment you have Fish On !

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »
Bill you need to put Fish Killer Lori on the boat for good luck!

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
nice boat Bill

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:38:27 PM »
Trevdog

Way to cold for Lorri right now, but I will get her out there in the spring for some lunkers  :lol2:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
Fshrmn

What kind, size, color etc. of spoons do you recommend. Also are you casting them out with various retrieves or jigging them straight up and down thru the water column.

Salim

Thanks it's been a lot of work, but I think it will bring years of fun.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »
Open invitation to any so cal RCL members that would like to go out for a day of fishing on the boat.
Maybe after the holidays we can have a local get together, day of fishing, no guarantees on Catching  :rotflmao:  :fishing3:
Send me a PM and let's make something happen.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »

Fshrmn

What kind, size, color etc. of spoons do you recommend. Also are you casting them out with various retrieves or jigging them straight up and down through the water column.

Bill,

I like using the crocodile in the silver and silver blue (large one). It's best if you can find one with a little red on it towards the front. If not, I like using lure paint and painting a red line towards the front (like the cut on a gill). This shows that it's injured. Casting or jigging? This depends on how active they are feeding. If you locate a school that is not very active, jigging may be the best. However, I have caught them casting and letting it sink while raising and lowering the rod tip. Be sure to keep the line tight though. As it sinks deep without a hit I then jig it several times before trying again. This procedure covers a lot of water depth and can show you exactly what level the feeding fish are. I use the count-down method as well when casting as this helps to recreate the last cast in cast of a strike. If closer to the surface then I have used a white spinner bait, tandem blade, but they can really tear the lure up when feeding well, so have a few. The spinner bait also makes a great casting lure and letting it sink while raising and lowering the rod tip. Pulling it slower while doing this can entice fish that really are full.

Most of these techniques work great at Lake San Antonio and Pyramid, I have only fished Silverwood once from shore. Another option is getting fresh anchovies or sardines at one of the off-shore marinas the morning of the fishing trip. Long haul to do this but I hear this works better than frozen bait.
"Don't get no better than this!"

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 07:32:59 AM »
an open invitation to 'so cal' members?         hummmm...   

maybe us 'nor cal' moderators are gonna have to have a meeting about that :)

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
Carol
You know your company is always welcome, no slight intended for the nor cal members.
I just figured since I`m down here in Riverside ca, only those that are within an hour or so drive would be interested.  :grouphug:
So the invitation is really for anyone who wants to go fishing.

I`ve only been fishing for about 6 years now and there is so much to learn in this sport, so any opportunity to fish with others and soak up some of their knowledge is time well spent in my book.  :fishing3:

Fshrmn

Thanks for the tips on the crocodile spoons, I will definitely give those a try.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 07:33:26 AM »
just giving you a bad time bill..     it is fishing and fun you are talking about afterall, so all logic has to get thrown out the window:)

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
tolton! your on the right track. I would recommend either silverwood or diamond valley lake. There are guides available for both lakes. just get on the internet. I had talked several times to a guy from "trout Only" but I never had a chance to make it out to diamond valley this past summer. I did fish silverwood many many years ago and did very well. but now I have my eye on diamond valley and want to do it with a guide. One. going out with the guide really gets you a one on one with a pro that knows all the ins and outs. Two, going out with a guide gives you all the opportunity to fish with out having to worry about navigating the ship and having to worry about any gear, he provides it all! you just show up with the money if you got it! For me, its always justified on the money part. For me, its "therapy" for my soul considering all the daily day to day bologna I put up with at home and work!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »
Bill, don't forget Lake Elsinore.  I spoke with a contractor who fishes there some and it sounds like a gem.  The report was that the lake has been cleaned up and the marina/boat launch is great.  That along with some hidden honey holes that the locals keep private sounded really enticing.  From Riverside you can't be too far away.   :fishing3:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »
tolton! your on the right track. I would recommend either silverwood or diamond valley lake. There are guides available for both lakes. just get on the internet. I had talked several times to a guy from "trout Only" but I never had a chance to make it out to diamond valley this past summer. I did fish silverwood many many years ago and did very well. but now I have my eye on diamond valley and want to do it with a guide. One. going out with the guide really gets you a one on one with a pro that knows all the ins and outs. Two, going out with a guide gives you all the opportunity to fish with out having to worry about navigating the ship and having to worry about any gear, he provides it all! you just show up with the money if you got it! For me, its always justified on the money part. For me, its "therapy" for my soul considering all the daily day to day bologna I put up with at home and work!

Mike
DVL is definitely where I hope to start fishing next year and a guide trip is for sure on my bucket list. I`ve been to a few seminars at the Fred hall show and will probably try Mark Franco, super nice guy and he also works at BPS and has already given me some pointers. Silverwood is my first choice as a beginner, mainly because most of the reports are that they have a large population of schoolie stripers in the 1-2 lb range, which is what I`ve caught so far. Just want to get some fish under my belt before I venture out to DVL.

Bill, don't forget Lake Elsinore.  I spoke with a contractor who fishes there some and it sounds like a gem.  The report was that the lake has been cleaned up and the marina/boat launch is great.  That along with some hidden honey holes that the locals keep private sounded really enticing.  From Riverside you can't be too far away.   :fishing3:

Saudust
Lake Smell somemore is only a half hour from my house, and I have taken the toon there a couple of times already just to run it not to fish. I don`t believe there are any stripers in that lake, although I believe at one time they planted some wipers (hybrid white bass ? ). From what I`ve read there is mostly catfish and carp in that lake, and during certain times of the year they have a pretty good crappie bite. I did read recently that they where trying to introduce LMB.  That lake has had its ups and downs over the years and they have definitely made a lot of improvements over the years, but its still always seems to be pretty algae infested. Used to water ski there a lot in my younger days and it would take days for the smell and green tint on your skin to wear off.  :rotflmao: