Author Topic: Propane bottle explosion  (Read 1858 times)

retired96

  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1028
    • View Profile
Propane bottle explosion
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »
Saw a news item a few days ago where a couple in So. Calif used a small propane bottle to light their BBQ. They set the propane bottle next to the bbq which eventually exploded killing the wife and critically injuring her husband. Fire dept. says the heat from the bbq caused the propane inside to expand and explode...


Marine One

  • Rock Creek Guide
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
    • View Profile
Re: Propane bottle explosion
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
They probably had the propane bottle sitting right next to or in direct contact with flame!

Little Hardrock

  • Administrator
  • East Side Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2891
    • View Profile
Re: Propane bottle explosion
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
that is just aweful!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

fshrsmn

  • Weekender
  • ***
  • Posts: 220
    • View Profile
Re: Propane bottle explosion
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 06:21:25 AM »
It's a tragic thing to lose a loved one suddenly like this, but when it happens right in front of you it can be magnified many times over (as I can relate to). I would hope this guy receives not just the physical care he needs but psychological as well. Events as this can serve to help others understand the dangers in everyday activities and help us all to not become complacent in our lives. I, for one, have a small BBQ with the small propane bottles and have placed the bottle right next to the unit while using it. I don't think I will ever do this again. I have already been thinking of modifying the BBQ with a heat shield barrier between the bottle and BBQ.
That small voice calling my name is the mountains,
and I must obey.