Author Topic: At the Creek and elsewhere....  (Read 4144 times)

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
At the Creek and elsewhere....
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:01:23 AM »
http://s272.photobucket.com/user/bluefish1957/slideshow/North%20Lake%20to%20Cranes%20Beach

This trip was a great adventure for us. It spanned, spending a night camped in Death Valley,  acclimating at North Lake in the float tube, a trip up the N. Fork of the Big Pine that included going up to 12,600 on the Palisade Glacier, then up LLV over Morgan, then over Mono, then some fishing at the inlet- heading  home we hiked the Methuselah Trail in the Bristlecones. Highly reccomended side trip!!!!!  Landing in Boston, we went to a favorite stretch of surf and landed a dozen stripers.
Our stay at the creek was  topped off by the 3-4 inch snow! The valley was incredible- like a bowl of emeralds and jade and gold topped with diamonds. What a great way to start the winter camping season. After seeing how incredibly receded the Palisade Glacier is, it was heartening to see an early snow.  Fishing in Long and Chickenfoot was off the charts for brookies and bows. Nothing over 12". but many dozens  of fun, aggressive dry fly takes.  As usual, I had a few shots at monsters  feeding out from the inlet- one of these days........
    I talked with other fisherman about fighting the frog, but didn't go to the meeting. We didn't go for pie, but we did send a number of other people in our stead.....We also ate at Tom's and the Taco special was as good as I've had anywhere. Keep up the good work. Some places are treasures. We already bought our tickets for next year thanks to a Southwest special. We're keeping our ears and eyes open and anything we can do to help shorten the reach of the arrogant biologists, we'll do. I'm by nature a very ecologically minded individual, but I'm also an American and staunchly believe in democratic principles. Govt. by the select few, with an agenda fueled by perpetuating grant money seems to be at play here.  Leave the lower areas ALONE!!!!!!
How do they discount the  UV increase? Bufo species are suffering worldwide. 
   Thanks to all the good folks here for the info and just plain fun to keep our hearts and minds where we'd truly like to be. Again- life at the Creek is great. :clap:

Charlie and Nancy

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: At the Creek and elsewhere....
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
Wow Charlie, thatís like 5 trip reports in one, plus some fall colors!  A great adventure indeed!  I went up early this year to the Palisades Glacier, when it looked more like a glacier!  The glaciers colored lakes are something to see and fun to fish!  Did you stop to see the old movie set while there?

I see you went over Morgan Pass to the Morgan Lakes.  Did you fish them?  I was up there just over a week ago fishing and looking for the best fall colors.  Thatís some colorful fish you caught on your trip.

Bristlecone Pine Forest is something I pass on the way home from the Eastern Sierra and have not been up there in ages.  The Methuselah Trail is something I plan on doing soon.  Thanks for sharing!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »
Wow I`m not sure EPIC is a big enough word to describe how awesome this adventure must have been.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I can`t wait for my next trip in a couple of weeks, thou it wont be quite as adventuress as yours.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:18:04 AM »

Thanks guys.  WS have you ever fished this meadow lake between the Morgans?  I was too busy scrambling and exploring  to fish. I wanted to fish Summit and Golden but 60 mph winds precluded that.  The wind patterns ripping and swirling across Ruby were beautiful.  This is the famous Lon Cheney cabin with my friend Richard from San Diego and Nancy  on the porch. He went with us as far as Third Lake.  Was this the movie set you referred to?  bstolton, can't wait for your report. Have a great time!!!!!  I hope the weather holds out for you.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
The movie set was build in the 20's I beleave.  Don't know what movie it was for, but they went to a lot of work to build this in the middle of the wilderness.

Some pictures from my trip in May:

Palisades Glacier

Overflow tunnel between #1 and #2 Lake

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:24:19 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
It's stunning what's melted since May. That snow has melted back 1,000 feet  to the cirque behind Temple Crag. That's where I ended up-the end of the goat trail on the huge scree slide that was absurdly loose and sure death. I crossed the talus where a few boulders the size of cars moved beneath me. Gave me pause, I'll tell you. It's what killed the fellow that was the head of the local SAR this fall.   The concentration of glacial flour in Lake 3 is incredible. Visibility is less than a foot. Somehow, I still managed a few brookies and bows.  Thanks for the pics, WS. Great as usual, and very interesting to me.  I traveled late this year to wait for the Kern to cool off- the Fish Creek fire kept me out of there, I may come earlier for the snow still  receding and flower season . Pine Creek Lakes are on the list for next year.