Author Topic: Sept. 23-28 @ the Creek!  (Read 5104 times)

steveh

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Sept. 23-28 @ the Creek!
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »
Hey Creekers,
I finally made it up the creek on Monday after about 2 years. We checked the camp spots heading up the canyon after we arrived. We found Iris and Big Meadow to have port o potties instead of restrooms. The new restrooms look to be of the non-flushing type . Almost nobody was in these camp grounds. We ended up in 2 of the best spots in the canyon (in my opinion) :tent: East fork, at sites 110 &111. The first night was pretty cold. The second night, a bone chilling wind came up. We tried to launch the boat at Convict on day 3 but 80 mile an hour winds kept us and everyone else off the lake. The 4th morning, we awoke to about 3 inches of snow in the freezing cold. We again tried to launch at Convict but this time, the motor wouldn't start and the battery was soon dead. We then fished along the shore and managed a few small bows. Mean while back at camp, the fish were still holding in the pools. We seen and caught many quality bows in the stream up to 2.5 pounds. :clap:
On Friday, we rented a half day boat on Rock Creek lake. The lake shore was packed with people, as it had been all week. I had to return to camp to get one of my anchors as the rental boat anchors have short ropes and little holding power. Our boat was number 10 and had a little trolling motor on it. As I was backing out of the boat dock/ marina area, I stood up to look for any fish. I seen many 2 pound model bows scattering away from the boat. Some had lines trailing from their mouths while trolling around small tree branches. It was about this time it happened. I seen a huge dark shadow, dart away in to the deeper water. It was about 3 ft. long. It appears that monsters like Henry are still indeed in the lake. We managed several smaller fish in deep water. The weather, which was down in teens at night all week, was finally warming a little on the last night. The fall colors are in full effect and will probably be mostly gone in the next couple of weeks. I also managed to get a piece of chocolate pecan pie  :pie2: at the resort. If you don't get there early, the pie selection is still slim this time of year.
Anyhoo, it was great to be creek side once again.
Tight lines,
Steve  :cold:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:36:18 AM by steveh »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Sept. 23-28 @ the Creek!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
Steve, good to see you made it back to Rock Creek!  Yeah you scored on the camp spots on East Fork.  Really good locations near the creek.  Sounds like the weather was like I had last time up there.  I can fish and hike in most weather conditions but 80 mph winds will ground most people. 

I rented a boat from Rock Creek Lake Resort too and agree their anchors are too short for the deep water and you really need a second one so the wind doesn’t spin you around at will.

Happy to hear Big Henry is still there!  Hope I can meet Henry face to face in about a week. ;D :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »
Sounds like you made the best of the conditions and still had a good time, that's what I love so much about the sierras and RCL, a good time seams to surface no matter what else happens. Sierra Magic !  :fishing3:  :tent:  :pie2:  :clap:

I hope Big Henry sightings continue, but I think most of us are just going to end up catching little Henry's`  :rotflmao:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »
The new restrooms are flushing types, but for what ever reason they back up after a few flushes, which is why they have been closed for a long time...

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
Steve, we  left on the 25th, but can relate to the wind and snow. We had snow on the Sat. before you arrived.  I saw a very large fish down by the inlet. I was getting blown around in a float tube.  The Creek has its Nessies.....  :lol2:  I couldn't find any decent holding pools on the creek, next time I'll look harder. Glad you had a great time.  A little weather makes the Creek a little more adventurous, certainly worth the effort of dealing with it. Thanks for the report, maybe we'll  run into each other next time.  I didn't visit Convict at all.

steveh

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
Charlie, it was by the inlet, actually closer to the bridge by the inlet, that I seen "Henry" many years ago. It was the biggest brown I've ever seen (my personel best big brown is 10 pounds).
For those of you who never heard the story, here goes; I was fishing the mid inlet area on a early spring morning. I was casting a lure down stream. The lure past what looked like a smallish log sitting in the rapid current. As lure past the front of the "log", it suddenly sprang to life and darted after the lure. I was standing on that big rock that sits mid pool in the inlet. Shocked by what I seen, I nearly fell off the rock. About this time, it seen me. Within a second it turned and darted back to the lake. This fish was easily in the 20 pound class if not bigger.
I've seen bows in the creek up to 10 pounds in east fork when their dumping the big ones at the end of the season.
tight lines,
Steve
PS, we seen many coyotes this last week in the camp grounds and by the lake. Never really seen any there for the last 30 years before this? This last week, a guy fishing the shore of the lake, had his stringer of fish stolen by one when stepped into the bushes to take care of "business".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:27:12 AM by steveh »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
20 lbs, that's huge!  I gonna need a bigger pole, and line!   :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

steveh

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
You're off the edge of the map mate, here there be monsters! :twothumbs:
No lies, to even be in the game, 10 to 15 pound test for sure. They are out there, I don't care if anyone believes me or not, for I know it to be true.  :fishing3:

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »
I believe, I believe!!!! :fishing3:
Steve, a 'yote came out on the beach midday Monday, we all yelled to scare him off. I heard a large pack howling on the other side of Long when camped at Chickenfoot Sat. night. I was glad my food was in a bear can. I remember the pics of one near the beach from earlier this year- sure seems like a bunch are around.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:00:00 PM by charlie »

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
good report Steve, thank you

the wind was blowing on sunday also.
it was low 50's at noon with the wind howling.
From mosquito flats to palisades.  brrrrr.............

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
love it!

long live henry!!!!!!!!!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
Steveh, I believe it and your account is truly credible.  I've seen a very special brown that even if I tell the story again and again I find that it sounds incredulous.   It was a trophy class brown in the 20 plus range and at least 34" in length.  That was back in '09 and I haven't seen or heard about it since.  They are there, the lurking lunkers.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

steveh

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
It's hard to believe until you actually see one. There are fish in that lake that dwarf the ones that have been hanging on the walls in the resort for as long as I can remember.