Author Topic: ALL NATIONAL PARKS SHUTDOWN  (Read 22316 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
ALL NATIONAL PARKS SHUTDOWN
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:20:27 AM »
Yosemite and all the US’s national parks, monuments, and zoos were closed at midnight last night, after Congress failed to pass a new budget.  Campers will have 48 hours to leave the park.  The closure of the parks will unfold in two stages, according to the National Park Service Contingency Plan. In Phase 1, to take place over the first day and a half, all "day visitors" will be instructed to immediately leave the park. Overnight visitors (campers, RVers, and hikers) will be told to leave the park as part of Phase 2 and all commercial services will cease. The total process will take four days.

At the end of Phase 2, park operations will be kept at “minimum levels.”

Wonder how this effects backpackers?
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: ALL NATIONAL PARKS SHUTDOWN
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:30:14 AM »
i had wondered the same thing.. i certainately hope that 'they' dont send a ton of rangers out looking for folks...

but can you imagine the surprise on some backpackers faces when they come back out into a national park area.. and no one is there?!?!    i hope the rangers at least post some signs at the trailhead as to what is going on!    talk about a freaky feeling thinking armaggedon may have happened!

and just think... its the 123rd anniversary of yosemite....   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

maverick

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »

Keep in mind that even though one can still enter into National Parks and backpack, though
 illegally, SAR response times will be affected by this. Wonder whether people will be charged
 for rescues during the closure period since one is not supposed to be in backcountry.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:50 PM »
Never considered that Maverick, that could turn out be one expensive trip! 

I was thinking how great it would be to have the Park to myself without Rangers roaming the back-country and no crowds. :hiking2:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
Back in the mid 60's they shut down a special surfing place called the Trestles south of San Clemente. Because our President Richard Nixon had made his home there. The Secret Service and the Marine Corps patrolled the beaches taking surfboards that washed to shore and aresting surfers who just came to enjoy a special place. I only got caught twice, got my boards back and they told my father a retired Navy Captian that he would lose his base privileges if his son was caught again. I joined the Army after High School and went off to fight an unpopular war so all was well. In the early eighties the county banned dirtbike riding in the area from the off ramp area of Beach Cities and Las Ramles (I-5) back into the wilderness of the Cleveland National Forest. At that time My family had our first home a block away from dirtbike paradise! My friends and I learned how to avoid the Sheriff Helicopters that patrolled the area and continued to ride for a couple of years until the development that is today. Today people that enjoy the great outdoors have lost their National Parks and ability to enjoy the Back Country within them. All I can say is be carefull, enjoy what God gave us and watch out for Drones from Big Brother.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »
Don't give the Big Brother any ideals Trev!  I see it now, drones flying over the National Parks :(

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »
I've been trying to get a wilderness permit fax'd to me for the Golden Trout Wilderness for this weekend. No one is at the phones and there is only a message. Permits for that area are unlimited so friday morning we will stop by the FS office and see if the permit sheets are outside the office. If they are not available we will go without a permit.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
I don't blame you one bit, Gary. I stopped this afternoon at one of my favorite fall smallmouth bass spots- a falls on a tributary of the Hudson River near Sartatoga Spings, NY. . I had just released a nice fat 3 lb'er, when a ranger from the Saratoga Battlefield National Monument came down over the bank to oust me. When he saw who I was and remembered the conversations he'd had with my wife and I,  he told me to stay and that he hadn't seen me. I thanked him and told him I was unaware I was inside the park boundary.  Had it been another ranger, I might not have had the pleasant late afternoon I did. I don't know how many times this little scenario  must have been  re-enacted over the  whole country. It places many people in a confrontational situation with govt. employees that are  enforcing policies they hate themselves. This situation is a travesty. It's treason in my book. Sorry, end of political rant. Have a great time, Gary- they are turning on. We fished some high lakes last week.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:41:35 PM by charlie »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
Thanks Charley. I fished the special regs section above the bridge last weekend and the cooler water temps have helped a lot. That is what made me decide to drop into the GTW this weekend before winter sets in for real. I don't think the permit should be an issue. Going in from the south the Blackrock FS leaves there permit sheet in a box out front for after hours and even for a few months when the station closes for the witer. All you have to do is stop and fill one out and put it in your pocket.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
did anyone see the story on the news last night about the WWll monument at the national mall?   it was closed yesterday as well.... but the busses of WWll vets arrived as usual.   the rangers were upset at having to tell them the monument was closed.  there was one of those fences placed around it like are at parades and such not....   the vets were sad...several of them said the were old, and may not be able to make this trip again....

but eventually, someone opened one of the sections of fence,,,,   the rangers just stepped back as the vets went thru the opening.,,,, many in wheel chairs....  and went to enjoy 'their' monument.

one of the rangers said these men stormed the beaches of normandy for us, there is no way i am going to prevent them from storming the monument for their moment of enjoyment.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
bishop creek, big pine and convict campgrounds are closing tomorrow!      i believe its cause all campgrounds within national forests are being asked to close... even if they have private management.

the campgrounds in tahoe national forest have to close as welll....

and rock creek canyon just annouced the same!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:57:39 PM by Little Hardrock »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
Rock Creek is shut down!  That’s just incredible.  What a dysfunctional Government we have! >:(  There goes my next camping trip scheduled for next week.  What about the Rock Creek Lakes Resort and Rock Creek Lodge, does this force them to close because they are on National Forrest property?  Will they shut the gate going to Mosquito Flats too?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »
we could have some interesting trip reports... i believe we have a few folks up there this week.....

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »
Gary,  if they are closed and you can't obtain a permit you might want to be concerned about Calif DFG. They probably don't care that you could not get a permit. Good luck :clap:

PSWP

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
Unbelievable.  I have been waiting all year for my families anual week long trip to rock creek and now this. Everything is packed with no where to go now. An hour after buying my fishing license I found out the campgrounds were closed. Thankyou government. Hopefully they put my $45 to good use.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
i just read that toms place operates on a forest service permit..... so what does that mean for them?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »
All eastside campgrounds are now Closed For The Season, bathrooms will be locked up.  They are saying this even if there is a budget compromise in Washington!  Their saying it’s too late to re-open now.  Not sure if Yosemite would open any campgrounds, but unlikely at this point.

One interesting note is 120 to Yosemite is said to be open for though traffic but is not manned.  Rumor is that you can be ticketed if you stop your car to hike or backpack.  Hard to verify anything as all National Park internet sights are down due to Government shutdown.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
Occupy Yosemite Protest Scheduled for this Friday.  They are staging a sit-in at Tuolumne Meadows to demonstrate against the government shutdown that has closed all the national parks.  Hopefully this will be a peaceful demonstration.

Here is the link:
http://www.kcet.org/living/travel/socal_wanderer/national-park/occupy-yosemite-protest-scheduled-for-friday.html

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
This is all very sad news. It looks like our elected officials spent more time planning for the fall not fighting for our people in this great country. I'm sure that they arent affected by this situation throughout our great nation.  Trying to look for sunlite between the clouds I'm thankfull that it didn"t happen during the summer months. Whether your Democrat or Repubican its time to look hard at the people you have voted for and the people that you elect to move our great country forward

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
On voting for our elected officials, how many of you looked at the choices and wondered where the “none of the above” box was!  No matter who we vote in it seems we can’t move forward.   

Hopefully this government shutdown gets settled quickly so we can get back to the creek!

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »
On voting for our elected officials, how many of you looked at the choices and wondered where the “none of the above” box was!  No matter who we vote in it seems we can’t move forward.

Me

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 04:30:11 AM »
Me, too.   

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 07:25:38 AM »

Interesting the Park is closed but you can drive through.  Can be ticketed if you stop though!  They are not charging either, nobody is manning the entrances.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »
More bad news.

According to the Rock Creek Facebook page, all Rock Creek campgrounds will be closing as of today.  Current campers are being told to vacate the campgrounds by noon and any refunds will be issued.

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »
More bad news.

According to the Rock Creek Facebook page, all Rock Creek campgrounds will be closing as of today.  Current campers are being told to vacate the campgrounds by noon and any refunds will be issued.

:( :( :(  -  Was going to try to squeeze in a trip next weekend
Kim