Author Topic: ALL NATIONAL PARKS SHUTDOWN  (Read 22211 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: ALL NATIONAL PARKS SHUTDOWN
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Keep in mind that dispersed camping is still allowed in many sites in Inyo and Mono County.  Its first come first served.  And best of all its free!  If you have an Inyo or Mono County map, it shows where you can camp and where it is restricted.  For instance, all City of Los Angeles land is restricted and closed to camping.

You can do that or pay for lodging nearby.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »
We just got back last night from French Camp at Rock Creek. From what we were hearing on the local radio backpacking would be allowed with permits that were previously granted, but no new permits would be allowed. Also, they mentioned that in case something happened in the back-country there would be a longer response time if emergency help is needed. It was also mentioned that those driving through Yosemite would be allowed to do so but could not stop along the road and there would be no services within the park. I think they were announcing this to just try and safeguard any issues that may arise when there will be no park personnel available if anything happens. Any campgrounds which are run by concessionaires will be still open, but any which are run by the park service will not. There were many people coming through French Camp amazed it was open as others they visited were closed. This was because these camps are run by the concessionaires. Sad that it came to this. To respect the rules of the board, and its members...I'll just leave it there and not comment further.
"Don't get no better than this!"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »
That’s good news about French Camp.  I’m surprised it’s open too!

The Occupy Yosemite movement set for tomorrow may be a moot point now. Yosemite may be going into full hard closure at the gates.  Earlier today they had to deal with 50+ vehicles at Olmsted Point in which the drivers had moved the barriers and driven in to park.

There still quite a few backpackers still out there that either will need to be picked up or drive out if they drove there in the next week or so.  We’ll see what happens.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »
Tom’s Place, Rock Creek Lodge and Rock Creek Lakes Resort are not required to close down due to the Government shutdown fiasco.  I imagine business may have actually picked up some due to the campground closures.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
This is a press release from the Bishop Chamber of Commerce

TO:  ALL LOCAL MEDIA

FROM:  TAWNI THOMSON, BISHOP AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & VISITORS BUREAU

DATE:  THURSDAY, OCTOBER 3, 2013

SUBJECT:  UPDATES ON GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN AND LOCAL ACCESS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Federal Shutdown, now in day three, has caused much confusion and concern locally.  The Bishop Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau has been inundated with inquiries about access to favorite Eastern Sierra recreation spots and they are doing their best to gather and relay information.   In general, access remains good; however there has been a major change to the campground situation.

The Chamber has learned today that USFS Campgrounds, even those managed by concessionaire, have been closed or will be closing within the next few days.  The good news is that many private business camping and lodging options remain open in the area for the remainder of the season.

Inyo County Campgrounds that will remain open include:

Diaz Lake, Portagee Joe (Tuttle Creek), Independence Creek, Taboose Creek, Tinnemaha Creek, Baker Creek, Millpond, Pleasant Valley, Glacier View, Brown’s Tonwn and Tecopa Park & Campground.

Some Privately Owned Campgrounds & Cabins that will remain open:

Parchers Resort

Creekside RV Park

Bishop Creek Lodge

Cardinal Village

J Diamond

Highlands RV Park

Tri-County Fairgrounds

Rock Creek Lakes Resort

Keough’s Hot Springs Resort

Boulder Creek RV Resort

Dispersed camping is still available and open.  In regards to campfire permits, a new system allows for online application via computer or smart phone.  Visit  HYPERLINK “http://www.preventwildfireca.org” www.preventwildfireca.org to watch a brief video and then download the permit.

It is our understanding at this time that all major roads will remain open and that travelers are allowed to drive through Yosemite National Park and Death Valley; however stopping to recreate is not allowed.  Privately owned resorts inside the parks will remain open including Furnace Creek Resort in Death Valley.  Manzanar is closed and the Ancient Bristelcone Pine Forest is accessible although the visitor center is closed.

We have also been told that day-use activities do not require permits and that previously issued overnight hiking permits will be honored; however, new permits are not being issued.

Interagency Visitor Center in Lone Pine and White Mountain Ranger Station Visitor Center in Bishop are both closed.  The Bishop Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau will remain open Monday through Friday 10am until 5pm and weekends 10am until 4pm.  The Chamber is located at 690 N. Main Street, Bishop.  Our telephone number is (760)873-8405.

The Bishop Area Chamber of Commerce is a community-based nonprofit organization working hard to sustain and improve our local economy.   We are supported by local member businesses, the City of Bishop and County of Inyo.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »
great info bill... thank you!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
Great info Bill.  That's for Inyo County, anybody have a list for Mono County?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »
Rock Creek Campground Facebook now says October 5 at 9am all Rock Creek Campgrounds will be closed for the season as the US Forest Service has mandated that all campgrounds on US Forest Service land be closed, including campgrounds in the Rock Creek Area. 

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
See my post,, all campgrounds in Rock Creek were closed Thursday afternoon and all campers including me had to be out be out by 0800 Saturday morning...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
Retired, looks to me it’s all political theater.  During the past shutdowns standoffs, the park closings were resolved quickly.  The National Park Service is being far too aggressive in barricading public lands in my opinion. Many are accusing the agency of “showdown theater,” aimed at pinning blame on Republicans and reminding people of the importance of the federal government.

From the Washington Times:
“It’s a cheap way to deal with the situation,” an unnamed Park Service ranger reportedly told The Washington Times. “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

In what some say is a first, the National Park Service has also shut down private operations that lease federal lands but do not rely on federal personnel for patrols or backup.

From Fox News:
Warren Meyer, a private campground operator in national parks, said that his campgrounds have not been affected by past shutdowns, but were ordered closed this week by National Park Service officials. Mr. Meyer said he received orders directly from the White House to close about 100 campgrounds.

In a letter to his congressman, Meyer wrote, “We employ no government workers ... and we actually pay rent into the Treasury.” Thus, “I can only assume their intention is to artificially increase the cost of the shutdown as some sort of political ploy.”

Sorry your trip was impacted Retired. 

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 08:21:36 PM »
Arizona tried to fund the Grand Canyon as they had done in the previous Federal Fiascoes. The feds flatly refused them.

This is laid directly at the feet of the administration in power. Considering the dire straits that our economy is in, how can they refuse free money given to the feds by the State of Arizona?

They obviously do not consider that they are in any way beholden to the people of the United States.

Vote every incumbent out on their a///s...I mean ears!

We need workers in our government, not serf-masters.

Just my take.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
Occupy Yosemite went off as planned Friday in Yosemite.  The original plan had been to stage a "sit-down protest" inside the park at Tuolumne Meadows.  But a pair of law enforcement rangers directed the protesters to park at a turnout just inside the gate, offering two options for where they might stand with their signs. "We won't ticket your cars," said Tom Medema, a 21-year veteran interpretive ranger. "We just want to make sure you guys are safe."

A sign at the ranger gates reads: Yosemite is CLOSED. Through Road ONLY! No Stopping. No Recreating. Thank You."

Neither of the rangers is being paid as they have been furloughed with 600 other park employees. "We're a resilient bunch," said Medema. "We deal with fire and rockfall and flood.  But anybody who gets cut off from a paycheck, there's impact."

Did the protest do any good?  Hard to say but plans are on for another protest at the west entrance of Yosemite for Today.  Other protests are being organized through-out the nation in National Parks in the next week.  It was a peaceful protest and nobody was cited or arrested.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
Wow, can't believe they closed the campgrounds.  Guess our trip to the canyon will be a very quiet one with no one around.  This is just sad...
The creek is waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 06:40:09 AM »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
Shutdown Forces California to Close Pyramid Lake

Pyramid Lake

Maybe State Parks are safe for now, but an outdoor destination run by a state agency quickly closed to the public Friday afternoon.

"Although the California Department of Water Resources operates Pyramid Lake and the Pyramid Lake Recreation Area, the U.S. Forest Service is the land owner". "The Forest Service ordered the closure due to the Federal budget impasse." The area was closed less than two hours later.

Pyramid Lake, which bridges the Angeles and Los Padres national forests off the 5 freeway in the Tejon Pass, is a California Aqueduct reservoir, feeding the hydroelectric Castaic Power Plant. Activities on the body of water include boating, water skiing, swimming, fishing, picnicking, and camping, all which have been suspended until further notice.  Fishing is good for large- and small-mouth striped bass trout in Pyramid Lake. 

What’s puzzling is there are no Federal employees impacted here as this is run by California Department of Water Resources, which also operates the Pyramid Lake Recreation Area?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 06:26:55 AM »
I was thinking about RockNCreekGirl and her cabin when I read this story!

Property Owners Kicked Out of Their Homes by National Parks Service

Private-property owners on Nevada's Lake Mead have been kicked out of their homes by National Parks Service officials as part of the federal government shutdown, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Saturday.

At least 60 families with vacation properties along the picturesque shores were given 24 hours to vacate their homes that are situated on federal land.

"They are all vacation homes and everybody who lives in them are considered visitors," said Christie Vanover, spokeswoman for the Lake Mead Recreational Area.

"If anybody needs to gather their personal belongings, we’re not going to deny them access. They can go do that. They just can’t spend the nights there or have barbecues during the day," Vanover said.

"They need to get in and get out," she said.

Ralph and Joyce Spencer, who are 80 and 77-years old respectively, told KTNV-TV they were forced to leave so quickly they forgot to pack essential clothing.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Joyce Spencer said.

Recreational boaters will protest the closure of Lake Mead Sunday night by towing their boats down the Las Vegas Strip between the Tropicana and Sahara.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
I was thinking about RockNCreekGirl and her cabin when I read this story!

Property Owners Kicked Out of Their Homes by National Parks Service

Private-property owners on Nevada's Lake Mead have been kicked out of their homes by National Parks Service officials as part of the federal government shutdown, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Saturday.

At least 60 families with vacation properties along the picturesque shores were given 24 hours to vacate their homes that are situated on federal land.

"They are all vacation homes and everybody who lives in them are considered visitors," said Christie Vanover, spokeswoman for the Lake Mead Recreational Area.

"If anybody needs to gather their personal belongings, we’re not going to deny them access. They can go do that. They just can’t spend the nights there or have barbecues during the day," Vanover said.

"They need to get in and get out," she said.

Ralph and Joyce Spencer, who are 80 and 77-years old respectively, told KTNV-TV they were forced to leave so quickly they forgot to pack essential clothing.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Joyce Spencer said.

Recreational boaters will protest the closure of Lake Mead Sunday night by towing their boats down the Las Vegas Strip between the Tropicana and Sahara.

Guess I better start counting the days so I can make sure to subtract that amount when my lease is due!  Not going to be paying the government if they are not going to let me live in my home.  Wonder if it was because they were still using the lake as they had access?  My lease is similar to the Resort and Lodge, so if they can kick off homeowners then they can probably close down the Resort and Lodge as well.  We will see...hope they get this taken care of soon.  We have a trip to the Statue of Liberty in November so we will see.
The creek is waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »
All it said on the article was that their home was on Federal land.  I was wondering too if they have to access their home over Lake Mead somehow, as that would make more sense.  There are a lot of homes/cabins built on Federal land in Inyo and Mono Counties.  I just don’t see them kicking out all those families out.

Anyway, here is some good news.  Mosquito Flats is still open as of yesterday, and the bathrooms are still not locked! :clap: :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 06:41:52 AM »
Economic impact is high and is growing daily.

Nationwide the National Park Service stands to lose approximately $450,000 per day in lost revenue from fees collected at entry stations and for camping, plus the gateway communities across the country estimated to lose up to $76 million per day in total sales from visitor spending due to the government shutdown.

Some of those “gateway” communities include Lone Pine and Olancha in Inyo County, and Lee Vining, June Lake and Mammoth Lakes in Mono County.

How about the furloughed employees?  Well they will get back pay when this shutdown is over as Congress passed a bill for that.  Not their fault, but most will get a free vacation out of this.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »
Wshawkins

Saw that last cartoon in the paper today and  :rotflmao:
Funny but painfully true !
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 06:56:51 AM »

Defying government shutdown, national park visitors play ‘catch me if you can’

Some Americans are challenging government shutdown national park closures by leaping over barricades or tossing cones aside in acts they call civil disobedience, but which some authorities call just breaking the law.

With the US government shutdown well into its second week, growing numbers of Americans are gleefully engaging in what they call “civil disobedience” by tossing aside cones or jumping over government shutdown-inspired barricades around national monuments, malls, and park entrances.

The question this article is asking is “should we leave popular places like Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc open with no one other than a few Rangers to patrol”?

What do you think?

My take on this situation: 

With facilities closed with little enforcement, some people would be trashing everything, driving off into meadows damaging critical habitat, vandalizing buildings, getting lost, getting hurt on trails, etc..

I know a lot of us here can take care of ourselves and be responsible, but some in our society needs to be watched; especially in places like Yosemite National Park, where the average person coming in has little clue how to take care of themselves outside of the big city.  I see it firsthand in Yosemite NP when the tour buses come in and the poor tour guides has to try to round up these people.  I see it sometimes on the trail too, especially day-hikers but also backpackers that are not equipped or prepared for the outdoors.  My 2 cents.

The whole article is here:
http://news.yahoo.com/defying-government-shutdown-national-park-visitors-play-catch-213527587.html

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 06:42:27 AM »
Government Shutdown Update

Governors in at least four states — Utah, South Dakota, Arizona and Colorado — have asked for authorities to reopen national parks within their borders because of the economic impact of the closures. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said the government will consider offers to pay for park operations but will not surrender control of national parks to the states.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 07:16:52 AM »
I wonder how much money RRM is losing in the Sierra campsites they operate.  Kevin ( RRM district manager) told me last Thursday that Convict Lake campground brings in 5-6 thousand a week during October.  The campground host in French camp told me that he would no longer be paid effective last Friday, I can only assume that most if not all host have left for the season, so I have my doubts if any of the campgrounds will reopen for the season.