Author Topic: ALL NATIONAL PARKS SHUTDOWN  (Read 23627 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: ALL NATIONAL PARKS SHUTDOWN
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 08:04:46 AM »
utah is gonna pay to open their parks:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:11 AM »
I beleave this is a smart move for Utah.  Their paying 1.67 million to the Federal Government to open up their parks.  Utah typically brings in about $100 million in tourism-related revenue in October.  They have some great parks to visit there.  Maybe our Governor can do the same.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »
I wonder how much money RRM is losing in the Sierra campsites they operate.  Kevin ( RRM district manager) told me last Thursday that Convict Lake campground brings in 5-6 thousand a week during October.  The campground host in French camp told me that he would no longer be paid effective last Friday, I can only assume that most if not all host have left for the season, so I have my doubts if any of the campgrounds will reopen for the season.

Their losing a bunch unless they have a clause in their contract to protect them, which I think is unlikely.  I donít see the campground hosts coming back either as most campgrounds will be closing the end of this month anyway.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »
Colorado Rocky Mountain National Park reopens despite shutdown

The National Park Service announced that it has entered into an agreement with the State of Colorado that will allow Rocky Mountain National Park to re-open and temporarily operate during the government shutdown.

Due to the lack of appropriations from Congress, the Department of the Interior was forced to close all national parks across the country last week and furlough more than 20,000 National Park Service employees who ensure the safety of visitors and the security of the resources.

Responding to the economic impacts that the park closures are having on many communities and local businesses, Secretary of the Interior Jewell announced yesterday that she will consider agreements with Governors who indicate an interest and ability to fully fund National Park Service personnel to re-open national parks in their states.

"This is a practical and temporary solution that will lessen the pain for some businesses and communities in Colorado during this shutdown," said Secretary Sally Jewell. "We want to re-open all of our national parks as quickly possible for everyone to enjoy and call on Congress to pass a clean continuing resolution to open the government."

Under the terms of the agreement, Colorado will donate funds to the National Park Service for the sole purpose of enabling National Park Service employees to re-open and manage Rocky Mountain National Park.

The agreement funds the park for a period of 10 days, running from Friday, October 11 through Sunday, October 20 at the donated amount of $362,700.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »
Some States Allowed To Reopen National Parks ó And Foot The Bill

So far, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Arizona and New York have agreed to open parks that had been closed since the beginning of the month. Meanwhile, governors in other states were trying to gauge what would be the bigger economic hit - paying to keep the areas operating or losing the tourist money that flows when the scenic attractions are open.

Grand Canyon and Zion National Parks saw big crowds on Saturday when the gates were reopen.  Several other states are considering paying to open their National Parks. 

What about California you ask?  Governor of California said there are no plans to spend state money to reopen any of our National Parks.  But is spending money on advertising to let tourists know that California State Parks are open.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:20:06 PM by wshawkins »

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »
Love the man and his reasoning like his last tenure. One reason it made it easy to leave....
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
ummmm...this whole thing is a hell of a cluster you know what...and so far ya'll have behaved,  so let's keep it that way.  As soon as you start giving opinions here about politicians about,  and mentioning their names,  it's gonna get ugly...so let's hold off on that so this thread doesn't get locked down...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »

Statue of Liberty Reopens Amid Government Shutdown

Some good news.  New York Governor announced that the state of New York would reopen the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, where New York would foot the bill. According to USA Today, the statement entailed that the state of New York would pay approximately $61,600 a day to reopen through Oct. 18. The daily expenditures will be used to operate the park and the ferry which transports visitors to the monument site on Liberty Island in New York Harbor.

Statue of Liberty is one of ten National Parks to open this week so far.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »
Wawona hotel reopens in Yosemite

The first guests arrived this weekend for check in at Wawona hotel.  Guests will have to follow certain rules because the Park is technically closed. If you ever been in the Wawona hotel, you know it has the best views of Yosemite.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
Looks like we are close to the lifting of the shut down.  I am up at Rock Creek this week so I will give everyone an update if I see any of the campgrounds end up opening back up.  I doubt they will, but sometimes French and Tuff are open late in the season.  It all depends on if the hosts have given up and headed home...don't know if they were kicked out as well. 
The creek is waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »
Yes, just saw it on the news!   I think Yosemite will open quickly, but French & Tuff campgrounds unlikely. But keep us updated RockNCreekGirl.

Negative on the final package is it only lasts until January 15th.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 10:11:56 PM »
Yes the clouds are parting but look at what has happenend. It's time to re-think, because it's not over. and won't be until there is change. Our parties Republican and Democrat are more divided than ever, allowing the far right and left to gain momentum. We need to simplify things by working together as a team as Americans to rid our Great Country of the partinship that has broken it down. Forget our dedication to things outside our country, instead work on healing our country. Bring our Boy"s and Girl"s home, bring them hope for their futures, take care of the ones coming home that need help. Rebuild this great country by voting for change and elect people in the coming elections that will work together. At the end of the day we are not Republicans, Democrats, Black, Brown, Yellow, Red, White, Gay, or what ever. We are God's children and we deserve better then the people serving our great country have done. It's real simple a business's success's is defined by how it operates as a team and how it treats it's customers.
Time for Change!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2013, 06:40:32 AM »
well said trev dog.....  :)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 07:35:12 AM »
Nicely said trev dog!  Richest and best country in world and we almost have a full government shutdown. Makes you wonder how the rest of the World thinks of us?

maverick

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »

NP, NF, and webcams are back up, and folks are back at work. :clap:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »
Great comment Trev Dog.  :clap:

gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »
Hopefully the NP and NF go easy on all the backpackers who have no permits. Otherwise, it could get ugly!

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »
Thanks TD, much appreciated comments.

There are a lot of disgusting, and blatantly irresponsible things going on with our great country.

This issue is far from over, just getting started actually. We'll be back at this point come the 1st of the year. I hope some step up with the stones to correct this problem. I have faith some will, but it'll be agonizing until then.

Again, great post TD.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
here is one solution:)

A driver was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway outside Washington, DC. Nothing was moving. Suddenly, a man knocks on the window.

The driver rolls down the window and asks, "What's going on?"

"Terrorists have kidnapped the entire US Congress, and they're asking for a $100 million dollar ransom. Otherwise, they are going to douse them all in gasoline and set them on fire. We are going from car to car, collecting donations."

"How much is everyone giving, on an average?" the driver asks.

The man replies, "Roughly a gallon."

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
That's a good one!!!!!! :lol2:    Loved what you said Trev Dog. Thanks for expressing what lots of us feel so eloquently.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
This was taken the morning after Congress voted to pass the bill to Reopen our Government.  Did not take long to reopen Yosemite!

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
Funny LH! I was thinking along the lines of pulling out the marshmellows, crackers, and chocolate. Best thing to do with a Bonfire!
"Don't get no better than this!"