Author Topic: Wild Justice  (Read 6772 times)

Sierraslam

Wild Justice
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »
Anyone seen the episode of Wild Justice on Nat. Geo. that took place in the Mammoth. I have yet to see it, but it airs Monday and Tuesday. I hear the warden waits in the bushes at Virginia Lakes, watches some guy's catch limits, then follows them back to Mammoth. When they go back for there second limit in 1 day they get busted. I gota check this out. Poachers beware!

Sierra Girl

Re: Wild Justice
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
Thanks Sierraslam, this is something I like to see too. 

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »
lockup poachers and throw away the key!
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

stanbery

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:15 AM »
It was a good episode. Poachers had over 50 fish heads in the trash.
Jon

Sierraslam

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
I was thinking how I would never do something like that... then my wife reminds me of the 5 trout in my freezer that I need to cook. Let's say I leave this Thursday w/o cooking those trout, if I catch a limit Friday, I'm done. That's something I don't always consider. I have my frozen fish defrosting now. I'm going to start the season w/ a clean slate. Just remember, it's all your fish, not just the one's with your at camp. I liked that episode, got me thinking about never freezing trout again.

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
Very good point.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »
There always seems to be somebody who thinks the rules are for everyone else. Glad they got caught.  ;D ;D ;D

Mabuse

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Hello everybody.  I joined your message board just so I could ask some questions about the episode. 

The limit is 5 with 10 in possession. 

There were 5 fisherman and in the end the fish & game counted up all the fish in their possession and the fish heads in the trash and the count was 52.  That's only 2 over the limit.  And the fish heads aren't "in possession" anymore, they've been cooked and eaten.

So the guys were in violation of taking more than the daily limit but they did not exceed the number in possession.  Seems to me that for all the time they devoted to the investigation the violation was pretty minor. 

It also seems to me that they could have cooked and eaten their morning catch during the day before heading out in the afternoon.  The fish heads in the trash would confirm this.  It just seemed shaky.  I wouldn't be surprised if the fisherman got off. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
Your right the limit is 5 with 10 in possession.  Then your math gets fuzzy.

The limit per day is 5 fish.  If you eat the five fish you caught for breakfast, you still can’t go back out to the lake and keep five more.  Limit is 10 fish in possession.  That counts the fish you just caught plus any in your cooler or frig.  You also cannot keep 10 fish the first day; the limit is 5 fish each day, Period.

Say after two days you have 10 fish and decide to eat them all for dinner.  The next couple of days you can keep 5 per day up to 10 again.  No problem there.

What the fishermen did on “Wild Justice” was catch their daily limit at one lake, ate them and went out again in the same day and caught 27 more fish, all over the limit!  That’s 27 fish over the limit in one day!  They broke the rules and will pay dearly for it.  That’s what poaching is.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

flyGirl

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
That's one way to get new members to joined!   :lol2:   Lucky I don't keep that many fish, and the one's I do catch I usually cook and eat them up at the creek. 

The regulations sometime confuse me too.  Can somebody explain the Brooky rule to me?  Think it's called the bonus rule or something like that.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »
That's one way to get new members to joined!   :lol2:   Lucky I don't keep that many fish, and the one's I do catch I usually cook and eat them up at the creek. 

The regulations sometime confuse me too.  Can somebody explain the Brooky rule to me?  Think it's called the bonus rule or something like that.

Fly Girl, that's always been something I didn't understand either. Here are the regulations straight from the DFG website for the "Sierra District" that I think you refer to as the brookie, or bonus rule:

(3) All streams, lakes and reservoirs in Inyo and Mono counties, except those listed by name in the Special Regulations.  LIMIT: 5 per day 10 in possession

but then it goes on to say:

(B) IN THE SIERRA DISTRICT SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 80, UP TO 10 BROOK TROUT PER DAY LESS THAN 10 INCHES TOTAL LENGTH MAY BE TAKEN AND POSSESSED IN ADDITION TO THE OTHER DAILY BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS SPECIFIED FOR THE SIERRA DISTRICT. THIS ALLOWANCE DOES NOT INCLUDE RED LAKE IN ALPINE COUNTY OR KIRMAN, LANE OR ROOSEVELT LAKES IN MONO COUNTY.

Here is the actual link to that page: www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch3-art2.html

Not that it would be wise to catch that many without releasing, but I agree, it is confusing. Maybe someone out there can clarify?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
The reason for the special regs for brookies is because in many waters they are over populated. The over population results in small stunted fish that eat virtually everything in the water just to survive. The regulations are set up so that you can catch your normal 5 fish limit, any size of trout, any kind of trout or combination of trout. Because there is an excess of brookies in the selected area your are allowed to keep an additional 10 brookies less than 10 inches. Because brookies are such prevalent breeders taking the extra 10 brookies out of the lake will not hurt the lakes population at all. If anything it will help the lakes fish population by making more food and space for the other fish to multiply and grow bigger resulting in a much healthier fishery. If half the stunted little brookies were removed from many backcountry lakes the average size of the fish would go way up.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:38:37 PM by Gary C. »

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
Very informative gary C. Thanks  :goodpost:  :clap:

flyGirl

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »
Thanks for the great information guys!   :thanks:

Sierraslam

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »
Just to let you know, I'm almost positive that episode was on opening day. They could only have 25 for the five of them.