Author Topic: Season Finale - Part 2  (Read 8435 times)

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Season Finale - Part 2
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »
We left SD last Tuesday for Leevining hoping Yosemite would be open by Wednesday and of course that didn't happen. So we hit Gardisky Lake early Wednesday and then Fantail Lake in the afternoon. Very little action at Gardisky but that climb has certainly gotten longer and steeper in the last few years. Couldn't have anything to do with old age. Quiet at fantail also but did manage some small ones downstream of the lake.

Gardisky Lake

Fantail Lake

Thursday went up Lundy Canyon to Oneida Lake. Couldn't get any interest from the fish. Tried several flies, lures and jigs but nothing doing. There was some color left in the canyon but all the reds were gone and Lundy Lake was quite low.

Oneida Lake

Lundy Lake

Friday couldn't get to the Chocolate Lakes because snow and ice on the trail so we parked at Long Lake. Got several nice brooks there but more later on that. South Lake was a disaster as you can see from the pics.

Long Lake

South lake - Inlet end

South Lake- -middle

Back to Long Lake. When I first got there, I walked quietly up to the shore to see if anyone was cruising nearby. This is no BS, there was a relative of Henry about 6" below the surface and 2 ft or so from shore. I hollered to my buddy to hurry and tried to dig out my camera but with cold, fumbling hands, I didn't get the pic. I would say the fish was 22+ inches and 5+ lbs. It was worth the cold, slippery hike to see a fish that big in a backcountry lake at over 10,700'  I will go back there..............
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:26:09 PM by bj »
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Season Finale - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
Even if the fishing was a little slow you got to seem some beautiful fall scenery. There are some huge Browns in that lake. I saw a couple even bigger than you are describing. They will really get your blood a pumping.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
I was up at Gardisky Lake this last Sunday!  Was my final trip this year too and had it to myself!  Hate the hike but the fishing makes up for it. Action was good for me.  Also had good action at Oneida Lake but that was in September.

Never seen South Lake that low before.  Itís terrible that DWP is allowed to drain the lake so low before fishing season is over!  Thatís it, I going to Long Lake next season.  Second time in two years I heard about huge browns in that lake.  I need to see this for myself. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
GREAT phots bj!!!

we have had a couple of earthquakes ,,, maybe that has made the hike a bit steeper:)

love the shot of fantail.. so pretty!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:24:58 AM »
Wow Lundy Lake sure looks full compared to opening day!

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Beautiful pictures!  Thanks so much for sharing!!!

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »
Great pics thanks for the report.  :clap:

Jackmac

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »
I was camp host at Intake II this year ...South lake and Sabrina lake have been down to mud holes like this all season. We need some snow pack this winter for sure.......
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.  ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
Thanks all for the comments. WS and Gary... I was glad to get confirmation on the big fish in Long lake. I wouldn't have believed browns in there but I caught one about 12" 2 years ago.
Hardrock

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »
Thanks for the TR, bj, and the pics, too.  South Lake really has been reduced to an almost mud hole.  Sad.  Let's all hope like Jackmac said for a good snow pack this year.  So, Long Lake has Henry's not-to-distant relative???  That must have been a real shocker to see that so up close and personal.  :fishing3:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
Bj, I read in another Board where they hiked in to the Chocolate lakes recently and encountered ice and snow on the trail, with some snow drifts up to their knees!  Good decision not to go for it this time or it could have been another possible rescue mission for this year!   :clap:  This is the year where anything can happen.  I donít mind the snow too much but the ice makes it treacherous.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the awesome pics.  :clap: :clap:

Not sure where Gardisky lake is, but it sure looks like it`s worth the hike!!!
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »
BJ,  Any of the old miners cabins still standing at Oneida? Loved to explore there when I was a young kid, and have not been back since. There were about four cabins still with cot beds and wood burning stoves.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
opic=648.msg7191#msg7191 date=1383162150]
BJ,  Any of the old miners cabins still standing at Oneida? Loved to explore there when I was a young kid, and have not been back since. There were about four cabins still with cot beds and wood burning stoves.
[/quote]

One partial cabin standing was all I saw. The shaft opening where the track rails come out was mostly filled with dirt and rocks. That area was pretty well grown over with brush blocking the old trail. There a lot of water running out of the shaft.. In general the place was a mess and not really worth a hike up there to see what's left.
Hardrock