Author Topic: Huge German Brown Caught!  (Read 13048 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Huge German Brown Caught!
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »
20 pound, 8 ounce German Brown caught and released last week near Silver Lake in the June Lake Loop!  Congratulations to Paul Gonzales.  This is the same guy who caught and released 18 pound 2 ounce brown about same time last year in Silver Lake.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:40:04 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Huge German Brown Caught!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
Talk about a studly looking fish!!!  Congrats to Paul and his catch and release of what is surely an old predator and king of his stream.  Thanks for the post.

...now where's my license and that reel with 6 pound test...
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Looks a lot like Henry!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »
I love that tail and hooked jaw.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
That hooked lower jaw (kype) is just huge on that Male German Brown!  Henry is still with us!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
Nice  :chestbump:

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
Looks almost exactly like the one he caught last year.  IMO I'm still trying to think of how thisfish is over 20 #.  It is a big fish for sure, but 20?  I don't think so.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
Itís the most impressive trout caught this season thatís for sure.  I have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on this one.  He caught it, weighed it, photographed it, took a video of it and then released it.  I rather take his word on this than to for him kill it by taking it over to Ernieís Sporting Goods to get it certified.

Do wish he would give out the length and girth of the fish.  I being an engineer by trade would know in seconds if that weight makes any sense. :fishing3:

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »
I sent an e-mail to Andrew with SLR asking if he had any knowledge of the catch and release.  In another post I looked up elsewhere, Andrew had said that the fish last year Paul had caught did not come to his attention until well after it was released, so I am thinking that since the resort had already shut down he might not have any news of this one.  The Sierra Wave had posted the news, but only said what you had informed us, wshawkins, that it was 20 lbs/8 oz., but they also added that it was caught in Rush Creek below Silver Lake (which you and I had already surmised by the photo).  I don't think Paul is the fibbing type and made the video to back it up, as well as share, and unless his gear was faulty the weight should be accurate.

I realize, tongue in cheek, that fishermen like to stretch the stories, but I'm with you and inclined to believe and be in awe.  Maybe we'll get the stats on it sometime.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »
Let us know if you hear anything from Andrew saudust.  Also if anybody finds the video, please post it.  Would be hard to ďPhotoshopĒ an video Iím thinking.  Like to see that monster in action!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 07:40:33 AM »
This is the big brown he caught last year about this same time.  You think it looks like the same fish, just a year older?

Sierraslam

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
It does look like the same fish. He likes to fish in light blue sweatshirts too.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »
It could be 20 lbs. I have a pic holding a 15 lb yellowtail that looks  smaller than the brown
Hardrock

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
The top of the caudal fin appears decidedly different on the two fish, though in a year I suppose it could change a bit, or being held differently might change the appearance.   I've looked for a You Tube video, but with no luck.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »

I think itís legit!  I just amazed that they can get that big in the June Lake Loop with all that fishing pressure during fishing season.  Kudos to Paul for catching that big monster.  Big kudos for releasing the fish back into Rush Creek.  :twothumbs:

Sierraslam

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
It looks like he's standing just above Silver Lake in that slow moving inlet, not the outlet side towards Grant? What huge trout! He's got it down.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:49:52 PM by Sierraslam »

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
Sierraslam, I believe it's just below the outlet area where Rush Creek widens out and splits.  The outlet area water is way down, which is why the bush on the right is so out of the water.  You can even cross the rocks to the other side last time I was up.  The inlet doesn't have a bank like that as I recall.  We've taken the little boat up there a few times and it's quite narrow in the inlet area all the way back to the fallen trees before the power station area, plus it doesn't have the aspens.

He knows to fish for them in spawning season for sure!  I wonder what he used in such shallow water this time because he dropped a Rapala on the one last year in the lake and as I recall was wet from the waist down when he went in after it.

wshawkins, they might be coming upstream from the weir because there a a lot of deep holes in Rush Creek from there up.  I don't know if they can get past the weir, but I don't think so.  I'll have to check that out.

Nevertheless, what a trophy fish to C & R.  In my dreams...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
Paul released another photo of the huge brown.  I this photo heís holding it similar to last yearís large German Brown trout.  I believe this one looks somewhat different than last years.

Saudust, they were releasing more flow when I was up there and I was fishing near the weir one day and it looked passible, but it would have been hard to do.  I fished at Silver Lake Inlet, the outlet and Inlet to Grant.  Grant inlet was best for me but Silver Lake inlet also pretty good too.  I caught more brown this year than I ever had before.  Once you figure it out, it was pretty easy.  18Ē and bigger in Rush Creek for me this trip with a scattering on large bows too.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 07:04:02 AM »
I decided to put the last years brown and this yearís brown side by side to see if there are any differences.  Theyíre both huge, thatís for sure.  But check the spotting on both fish and you can see the difference.  Especially the spotting on the gill plate, big difference.  German Brown trout donít change spots, except to get bigger as the fish grows.  These are two different fish, Iím sure now.

Pretty exciting that there are fish this size in the June Lake Loop.  The standing record for June Lake Loop is a 23 pound brown caught from Gull Lake.  Paul Gonzales now has the second biggest.

Take a look at the photo and see what you think.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »
Definitely look different to me. Pic on left made SD paper today.
Hardrock

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
Great work, wshawkins.  The side-by-side is like getting two pieces of candy in one wrapper.  Glad to hear that your fishing was stellar.  Maybe next year my schedule will allow a late October trip for fishing Rush Creek.  I'll bet there are others on this board that might make that effort, too.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
Just a reminder, anglers who keep late season browns could be damaging the spawn and the quality of the brown trout fishery for the future.  Especially donít disturb them when theyíre in the spawning beds.  Itís cool to watch but leave them be.  They donít stock brown trout anymore.  The last time brown trout was stocked was in 1942 for Silver lake/Rush Creek/Grant Lake areas.  Once their gone, their gone!

Iím happy to say during my last trip every fisherman that I observed was doing C&R on browns caught, other than bleeders. Keep all bleeders as they will soon die anyway, itís the humane thing to do. 

What was interesting this year I was finding some browns cruising in this area as early as late summer (September) staging to spawn already?  Very unusual for me to be catching browns that early.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 06:40:55 AM »
More tidbits about Paul Gonzales Huge German Brown Trout adventure:

Paul Gonzales caught this monster brown at the same spot he caught the 18.2 lb. brown last year.
The fish was weighed on a hand-scale at the stream before being released.
He caught over 40 browns between 3-7 lbs.
He also caught a 12.3 lb. brown from Grant Lake.
He caught them with Rapalas on six-pound test line.

I still cannot find the video of the catch.   :fishing3:

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
wshawkins...I agree... there is no reason for someone to keep a brown. Our last rip to RCL I landed three from the outlet ranging from 10 inches to 16 inches (estimation of course) on early morning flies. Everyone was released without touching them at all. This is the way to release them if you can as this keeps the slime coating on the fish and does not disrupt its natural combatant of water born infections. Also, if the angler can release without much thrashing of the fish it lessens the trauma to the fish. My wife an I usually only keep what we can eat that night or the next, then keep enough for one meal right before leaving to come home. Oh...by the way...I never keep them in the back country.
"Don't get no better than this!"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
I do eat some trout in the backcountry, especially when on a backpacking trip.  Most backcountry lakes are pretty healthy, and some could actually use some thinning out.  But I practice C&R when necessary.

Excellent catch & release fshrsmn!  If you can release them without touching them, they have an excellent chance of survival.  I saw a lot of poor C&R going on at Rush Creek on my last trip.  Fishermen had the right thought, but the execution was poor.  This is something that probably needs to be talked about some more later. 

Some of the tools I use for catch & release are:

Rubber net:  The rubber material is easy on the fish and it does not snag your fishing hook like many of the other mesh net materials.  Its large gap mesh material allows you to hold the fish in the net, without taking off the fishes protective slime layer.  Another major advantage to rubber is the open, non-twisting design.  Get rid of that old mesh net.  Or you can just replace the mesh with rubber, they come in all sizes.

Ketchum Release Hook Remover: Great took for releasing fish without touching them.  Takes a little practice, but works great for releasing fish.  This is especially good if you do not have a net handy.

Rubber Net - No stressing out this brown trout

Ketchum Release Hook Remover - best little tool out there!