Author Topic: Opeining Weekend.  (Read 8036 times)

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Opeining Weekend.
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
Headed up with a couple of guys on Thursday. Left So Cal around 2pm. After some dinner at Jacks we headed to camp. We got all set up by around 8:30 and settled in around a nice camp fire. Besides the host and her amazing puppy golden retriever McGee we were the only people in camp. Talk about peaceful!!

Friday we headed out to the upper O. Fishing was slow, and I couldn't get anything to take any of the flies that I had. I was pretty disappointed but the scenery was amazing. One of my buddies managed 1 small brown on a super duper. I caught 1 maybe 10" rainbow on a pink rooster tail.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Headed back to camp and just went exploring, it was amazing because I haven't had extra time like that to explore the canyon since I was a kid, its always fishing from the time I wake up till it gets to dark to see my line.

Finally the day had come, Saturday opening day. We woke up around 5am thinking we were "early" ha ha, what a mistake. Arrived at Convict around 5:15 to see the entire shoreline illuminated by lantern light about every ten feet all the way around, with at least 25 boats / tubes at the outlet. I've never seen anything like it, people everywhere. We walked to the right of the outlet and found a nice place to squeeze in and get set up. Fishing was off the hook! Everyone was catching fish on just about everything. Every cast seemed to be a fish on. It was great! The fish were cruising the shore so you didn't even need to cast very far out. Limits were caught within an hour maybe 2.  As soon as the sun hit the water tho, the bite died off and off to "my" (ha ha) creek we went.

Convict Lake Sunrise Opening morning :

Boy once we got started bush whacking did we ever knock em dead. We were catching trout that had been in the creek for years, beautiful colors large meaty bodies and amazingly perfect fins, all with white tips, not even a hint of being in a cement pen. When you're pushing through brush and finding a perfect little "run" or "hole" every 5 feet and being rewarded with beautiful rainbows, there really is nothing better. My favorite type of fishing is when I have to crawl and push my way into small spaces, I really don't like fishing lakes or open rivers, just to much pressure and to many stockers, I like to find the natives or stockers that have been around for years.  It was great to know that we were not only the 1st people in camp, but the 1st people to get deep into the heart of creek!

Here's one of my beautiful rainbows from deep within the thicket:

Even though I wasn't able to land anything on a fly I still had a great time with great friends, Theres always next trip to get the fly working. That's 3 "Bag nights" in for me so far, hopefully many more to come!

I plan on making this a tradition!

Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Opeining Weekend.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
These were all the pictures I had on my Cell phone, as I was always fishing fishing fishing. But Baldy Creek Dude has a lot more on his digital camera, Ill have him post all of them when he gets home from work.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »
Nice report Mcgee Dude.  If I was going to a opener, I would head to Rock Creek, Mcgee Creek or Rush Creek to do my fishing and get away from the crowds.  I've been known to fish on my knees to sneak up the fish!  Great fun.  Thanks for the report.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »
Good work Jo!  We will have to get up there sometime with Salim,  maybe late summer or early fall,  to explore "your"  creek a lil more,  I have barely fished it at all.  By then the water will be warmed and they should be hitting flies well! 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
Nice pictures.
  Road trip to the upper O soon, very soon :)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »
Way to go!!!  Reading this left a huge smile on my face.  so glad to hear you had such satisfaction!!!!!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
Nice Mcgee Dude! Great report and a good start to your season. Can't wait for the other pictures.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »
Great report and pics. Cool that you got away from the crowds and got into some nice fish, looks well worth the effort. :)
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Sierra Girl

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
Looks like you did just fine Mcgee Dude!  Thanks for sharing.

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »

My favorite type of fishing is when I have to crawl and push my way into small spaces…
I like to find the natives or stockers that have been around for years.
:)

I plan on making this a tradition!
:) :) :)

Sierraslam

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
Great trip! Nice job on the bag nights! I won't get any in until June. I'm condo'in it this trip. I hope you left a few fish for me.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
Looks like a great trip!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:32:59 AM »
Sierraslam,

Just because your staying in a condo doesnt meant you cant sleep in your sleeping bag!! haha

8)

:goodpost:

Sierraslam

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:25 AM »
Condos don't count. To wimpy. Gota be in the great outdoors.

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »
My Opening weekend report -
Left LA 0800 - nice drive - no traffic on 395 - arrived in Bishop 1245 - but drove straight to Crowley - wanted to see the lay out - check out where the boat we rented was docked since we planned on being there EARLY on Saturday didn't want to fumble too much in the dark.
Left Crowley drove up to RCL - had to see my favorite place, took this pic

Drove down the hill - drove through French camp to see lay out - since my hubby and friends were going back this weekend and planned on staying there - we have never stayed there before, usually stay in # 22 up at the lake - its next to the creek - relaxing to hear the water.
Went to Tom's for some lunch it was busy in there. Went back to Bishop to check in to hotel - had to do hotel this trip hubby had surgery 3 weeks ago.

Saturday - Up 3 am on the road to Crowley at 415 - anticipating all the people, expecting to sit in long line at gate to get in ( at least thats how I heard it was for opener) drove straight in parked and loaded the boat - as if the anticipation leading up to this trip wasn't killing me, now here I was sitting in the boat waiting and waiting for it to get light enough to let us go. It was my first opener and first time fishing Crowley  - so they finally let us go - we decide to troll - don't know the names of the areas - ?mcgee - no one else was trolling there - hooked up on my first brown of the day nice 2.9 lber - and it was on after that I was up 4 fish on the troll to my hubbys 1 then his line got all tangled and twisted, so I let him use my back up trolling pole (the one he said I didn't need)he hooked up on a couple, the we got to alligator point and decided to drop anchor and bait fish for awhile and eat, there were alot of ghetto rats ( as r96 put it) lining the shore being loud and obnoxious, I caught and released 5 more - then we decided to just put around - check out the scenary. I have always heard stories of how crowded it got during opening - where you could walk boat to boat but it wasn't the case.
Sunday - back to crowley at 6am - alot of boats on the lake - did some trolling (more like tried) but the ghetto rats all seemed to have boats and were just flying every where not caring where the cut through - ended up cutting my line while trolling - lost a nice lure - yelled a few obsenities at the fools, went up toward the north landing to bait fish - there were alot of people fishing from shore and the music was so loud - we ended up across the lake but could still hear the music - anyways hooked up on 4 - released 3 of them. Left the lake around 2 - went back to hotel to relax since hubby still not 100%.

Monday - Went to Schotz bakery - breakfast at Jacks then headed home.
Have more pics - on the camera - but it is up in the sierras with the hubby right now for the "guys only" weekend - so I will post them when it returns
Kim

Fredb

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »
What a nice backdrop Troutmom,

I wonder how many of those vermin (Vermin (or varmint[1] or varmit) is a term applied to various animal species regarded as pests or nuisances and especially to those associated with the carrying of disease. Since the term is defined in relation to human activities, which species are included will vary from area to area and person to person )even had a license, they sure managed to make a spectacle of themselves. I would hate to be around them during hunting season
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:07:11 PM by Fredb »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
Troutmom, sounds like a very nice weekend. I'm looking forward to the rest of yopur pics.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »
Looks like a great trip, thanks fo rthe reort and pics.  :goodpost:

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
Hyjacked!!! LOL.. Looks like a great trip. Try and stay away from places with a lot of people, and you'll save yourself a lot of headache. You should be able to go wherever you want and have a good peaceful time I agree, but its opening weekend and thats a very popular time to go fishing for everyone, you dont like the loud music and tons of people the further you are away from a lake the better imo. My weekend was just as peaceful as could be.

I'm all for people getting introuble for trashing nature, especially a place that means so much to me ( and all of you ) like the Sierra.. But to continually bash these people on this site seems in poor taste, and to be honest its kind of disapointing, and has taken away from the great stories of the opener.

MGD

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 12:37:58 AM »
OK so here are a few more pictures I was able to get ahold of for you view pleasure:

I'm the one with my hands up in the air thanking the Lord for this AMAZING place!! ( In my desert storm fatigues as always :D )

What a great hole:

Little 12" hookJaw Rainbow released happy and healthy to create a new generation of tasty trout!! :

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 05:58:31 AM »
Nice pictures Mcgee Dude.  Not that hard to find a fishing hole where people are scare if your willing to work the creek.   :clap:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
Nice pictures MGD
  what did you guys use to get that nice fish, flies or lures?
we want more details please :)