Author Topic: WHAT'S GOING ON  (Read 8255 times)

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
WHAT'S GOING ON
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »
Aside from wshawkins the forum has been dead. Sierraslam, Bstolen how were your recent trips? Tim you haven"t been online in since your apology. What happened to Morning chuckles. Me, I worked in the yard over the weekend and watched our So Cal teams ( UCLA, USC ) win big games, looked to see if Mattingly got his well deserved long term contract with the Dodgers, and now I'm cooking BQ for the family and watching the Lakers. Boring to everyone but me. What's up!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT'S GOING ON
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »
The Board just hibernating. :lol2:  Action some times slow down this time of season.  Just the opposite for me, now that I'm not living, breathing fishing, hiking, photographs, old mines, I now have more time to share my experiences this past season.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »
Thanks for all of your history, fish reports & so many beautiful pictures. You keep my wishes to see the Sierras active and fulfilled even if remotely. Walt

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:28:20 AM »
Seems this board hasnt been the same since the CRASH last year.........or was it early this year?? Was it even a crash?? I know I couldnt see forum for about 3 months.........Way less activity since then.........
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
Thanks Walt for the nice comment!  I'll see what stories I can condor up this winter.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »
:)

the crash wasnt really a crash...  there was a technical glich that got everyone,,,one of those upgrade things that happens and then needs some repair work...... and then AT&T 'banned'. our webmasters sites,,and any of their intermediate connections from acessing the board.  so all of us who use AT&T. or any of their cell towers where blocked from the board.  AT&T was saying too much spam came thru those channels, and it was affecting their other customers.

our one and only creek dude took on AT&T and got them to remove the ban.     :)

but by then,,, damage was done.   

then add the gov shutting down the campgrounds early....     more damage

and now its hibernation season,,,  many dont look at this board during the winter...

school has started, so there are alot of new schedules to get used too .. that takes a bit

so hang in there....   this thread may spur some activity:)   
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
Trev Dog, many of our lives are boring even to ourselves.  My daily/weekly routine is work...and more work, which is a blessing considering the past four years or so in the So Cal construction industry.  This board, even quiet as it has been, is also what I can refer to as a blessing.  I wish I had something as knowledgeable as wshawkins to post, or some pictures or something, but I am ever so thankful for the intermittent times I take a break, log in and read any of the posts.

Let's see, I get up each morning around 4:00 to 4:15, clean the kitchen, make the coffee and leave for work at about 5:15.  At 5:00 I can get home, help with dinner and spend an hour or two with my family, usually watching the first half of a movie if I can stay awake that long.  Do you know how many movies I've never seen the ending?  OMG, it's too stupid to even try to count them.  Next day, same thing until Sunday, when I come to work for a few hours, then go have my Sunday morning coffee with Irish cream with my wife and spend the day working on household projects like my hill and tree planting, sprinkler mending and digging holes and trenches.  Yep, it's not an exciting life, but it's what it is and on the bright side, I love what I do daily...for the most part.

You mentioned BBQ and I am on board with that.  At least I can contribute to my family with a little charred meat from time to time.  I BBQ's up some chicken on Sunday, finger lickin' good.  It sat in brine all day and then slow cooked after searing it.  Yummy!

Well, that's it.  Back to the drawing board.  Thanks for starting a thread and letting me serve up some boring details.

I rather be  :fishing3:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
Thank's sawdust, what I refer to as boring is is actually our normal lives, our daily routines that are decades old. work and managing family during the week, spending our off time doing the things to keep up the house (honey does ) and spending a few hours cooking big meals for our family to enjoy. If we manage our time correctly we get to relax in what ever manner we choose. Our forum is our getaway to hear about other peoples experiences in our beautiful High Sierras, wshawkins, Old Sarge, and Scouts incredible photography, fishing reports and just good stuff. It's what we enjoy with our coffee in the morning, down time at work, and in the evening to stay connected with the place we love to visit. I'm very blessed, as a life long surfer I moved to San Clemente in the 70"s married my life partner, raised two wonderful children and two years ago became a grandfather. My life is fulfilled with the happiness of my family and enjoying both the ocean, and the mountains. I'd rather hang with Harper then run with the Boy's. Boring to some but fulfilling to me. Hopefully people will chime into this thread and share goodtimes that they are having in their daily lives as you have done. WHAT'S GOING ON we have Harper and Willow ( Kid's Dog ) for the weekend! Banana pancakes in the morning fun all day and a hand rubbed pork shoulder for dinner on sunday. Boring to some our friends but I wouldn't have life any other way.
WHAT'S GOING ON OUT THERE! as we get ready for the Holidays and look forward to the summer months ahead?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
ok trev dog.. we are ALL going to show up at your house for breakfast and dinner!   sounds yummy!

as for here.. we have been getting ready for winter... firewood in,,, repainting the deck handrails,  putting the summer toys away... raking up leaves before they get soaked... getting the garden ready for winter.....making sure the,water pipes are wrapped, and the lower water is shut off.....  right now its reading by the wood stove...waiting for the rain to start.  they are saying we should get a couple of days of rain here...   looking forward to it:)

we have been able do alot of fall bike riding.. going down to the american river bike trail.  the river itself is full of king salmon coming up the river to spawn....looks like a good run this year.

the excitement around here lately is that it is the middle of rutting season,,,  the bucks are chasing the does back and forth trying to impress them, and this years babies are following behind....its kind of funny cause the kitties all look both ways before stepping outside so they dont get run over:).   gotta pay attention when walking around outside, that is for sure.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »
LOL...yeah, things kinda slow down once the fishing season closes.  Some of us still head up in the Fall and Winter just because we are crazy like that.  Thinking about heading up for Thanksgiving, unless the road has already been closed at East Fork.  Husband is headed out for a 10 day blue fin tuna trip, so yes the seasons have changed.
The creek is waiting...

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »
We are thinking on a trip in December (probably 26th-28th) but we will more than likely stay in Mammoth at a dog friendly hotel.  :doglick: We can't go without him as he loves it so much there and has earned his right to go anytime we do. I get two weeks off from school and work then. We have never been that time of the year so it will be an experience. You know, of course, I will have to bring at least one pole to fish the Owens (below Bishop). WE don't ski anymore due to knee/leg/back/neck issues. It's a pain to get old.

Until then... as saudust put it...work, work, and more work...but with me you have to add full-time school in there too. Typically 14-18 hr days 5 days a week (work and school) then all day Sat. and Sun. in school. Can't wait till December break!
"Don't get no better than this!"

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
Hey Trev Dog

Posted an end of year report, don't know how exciting it is, but a good time was had.
Hope you enjoy.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
Erik and I and the dogs are heading up next week  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  We are staying at Convict ,this will be are 4th maybe 5th year of spending Thanksgiving at Convict. I am so excited !!!
The Creek is Waiting...

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
Erik and I and the dogs are heading up next week  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  We are staying at Convict ,this will be are 4th maybe 5th year of spending Thanksgiving at Convict. I am so excited !!!

Hope you, Erik and the dogs have a great time and a wonderful Thanksgiving!
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
Bill, a good time in the Sierras is all that counts! And enjoying family! Thank's for the Grandchildern picture as I am sure you and Lori are very proud.

Good to here from you again!

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »
Hope everyone had a great Holiday!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »
I did...go Bruins!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
me too:)

great food...    and even better bike riding!      go me! :)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
Holidays are all about family, friends, neighbors and tradition for our clan.  For Thanksgiving, we drove up to Ventura to my older brother’s home for the gathering.  Great time was had by all, and an excellent cooked turkey by my sister-in-law.  She also cooked up a great lasagna from scratch (she’s Italian).

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
and with your post Trev Dog the board is alive again  but with no pie 

time for winter :fishing3:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
my house has pie:)

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
Pie is now all gone (Marie Calenders Rasselberry, and Kahlua Cream) a good second choice when you cant have pie in the sky til next summer. Salim how is the Dog Rescue going? It's so important what your wife is doing! Our neighbor is involved in a Rescue Center in Perris. Too you and your wife and everyone everywhere that's involved in finding abused and neglected animals good loving homes  :clap:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Salim how is the Dog Rescue going? It's so important what your wife is doing! Our neighbor is involved in a Rescue Center in Perris.

Trev Dog
Thank you for the kind words.
The fight continues, my wife has been able to recruit some volunteers and is slowly building support network.
She will be in El Cajon on Saturday and Irvine on Sunday.  Couple of weeks ago she did some local stuff.
She is very determined to get this project going and will make it a success.  We just have to be patient.