Author Topic: Hilton Creek Lakes  (Read 18763 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Hilton Creek Lakes
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
I too was going to inquire about the campfire at 1 and 2, as packer did.

I was hoping they lifted it, and I just hadn't heard.

Hawk, you were able to make it to the junction much faster than I did, and I was traveling lite, as it was a day hike to 4 and back.

Great report, thanks for bringing it here.

Thanks playingmenace!  Kind of blew it on the campfire restrictions.  Read on-line they lifted it, but reading it again it meant only where it was allowed before restricted due to fires this year.  I was an outlaw year for me, went into 3-4 campgrounds during the Government Shutdown either for fishing or fall color photos, then Scout posts about a huge fine if you cross the line. :campfiregroup:

On day hikes, I also head for #4 Hilton, then head down the outlet to #2 or across to #3 for rainbows.  No bad choices there.  :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 06:44:21 AM »
Davis Lake with Mount Huntington

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
Thanks playingmenace!  Kind of blew it on the campfire restrictions.  Read on-line they lifted it, but reading it again it meant only where it was allowed before restricted due to fires this year.  I was an outlaw year for me, went into 3-4 campgrounds during the Government Shutdown either for fishing or fall color photos, then Scout posts about a huge fine if you cross the line. :campfiregroup:

On day hikes, I also head for #4 Hilton, then head down the outlet to #2 or across to #3 for rainbows.  No bad choices there.  :fishing3:

Thanks for the response hawk, but it triggered a question as it was legal to have campfires at H1 and H2 prior to the restriction. Based on your statement, wouldn't it be legal now?

I'm surprised you weren't informed when you pulled the wilderness permit.

Either way, lets just chalk your trip report up to a Public Service Announcement to us all who are
unsure. I'm not going to call you an outlaw, lol.

Thanks again.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:53 AM »
Lesson learned. :)  Thanks

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
Another shot of Davis lake (#1 Hilton) at the sandy beach area.  This is where I caught my large brown trout.  Has always been a good spot for browns over the years for me. 

Can you see the beach chair, umbrella and a little table with your drink of choice there?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:52:57 PM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
I often get asked if there is any real difference between a regular hatchery Rainbows and a wild backcountry Rainbows.  Big difference!  Rainbow trout get their name from the colors that shine in its skin. Rainbow trout are silver fish, but often will have some red/orange colorings down both their sides - these will shine especially in the sunlight. It is these rainbow colors in the fish that give it its name.  A regular hatchery bow is mostly more silvery in color with the reddish stripe almost completely gone.

Wild Rainbows are noted for spectacular leaps and hard fighting when hooked.  The color and favor of the flesh is entirely dependent of the diet and freshness of the trout, but wild Rainbows have a pink salmon colored flesh that tastes superb!  And the beautiful colors of a wild Rainbow Trout; well just take a look at these photos below.  Also notice the difference in the tails and you’ll see why the wild Rainbow can leap high and fight so hard.

Drive to Lake (Hatchery Rainbow)

Wild Backcountry Rainbow

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
When they restricted fires there I called and asked why. I was told it was because they felt that the downed wood was being used up and it is needed to replenish the natural course of nature. Around Davis and #2 there is a lot of forest area and plenty of wood to be had. Add the beetle issue and there is soon to be a lot more downed trees in that area as many of my favorite tent spots are now surrounded by widow makers.

Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.