Author Topic: Little Lake  (Read 84042 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Little Lake
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2014, 07:31:09 AM »

Glass Beads were for adornment and trade

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
Of the hundreds of trips I have taken up 395 I have never turned off on Cinder road and explored that area.... That will be on my bucket list for my next trip up 395.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2014, 07:14:22 AM »
Coso Rock Art (Petroglyphs)

Little Lake Area features three major sites where petroglyphs and pictographs are very prominent, with the oldest site that has been radiocarbon dated to around 6,500 BC.  The difference between a petroglyphs and pictographs is a petroglyph is an image that is carved into a rock.  A pictograph is a drawing or painting that is created on a rock.  The Little Lake site has both types, where the pictographs are quite rare as they dull and fade away over time.

There are a also a few petroglyphs on the columnar basalt rocks by the railroad bridge at the Little Lake town site and some Native American grinding holes at the base of them.  You can access these from the side road (the old 395).  Happy hunting!

You’ll find petroglyphs just about everywhere in the lava rocks.  Good location is around the lake itself.  Remember the lake is private property, so you’ll need to get permission from the Little Lake Ranch owners before looking around.  Below is just a small sampling of what’s here as there are literally thousands of petroglyphs in this area alone.

Hard to see perhaps but petroglyphs of bighorn sheep, hunter, his dog and a medicine man are seen here.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2014, 07:15:48 AM »
Once you have permission from the Ranch owners, you can drive down to the lake and check out this great site of petroglyphs.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2014, 07:17:06 AM »
The most common petroglyph in the Coso Range is the Bighorn Sheep.  Historical records indicate that petroglyphs were made by one particular group:  The medicine men.  These were healer and religious leaders who were believed to be able to go into the supernatural world by entering a trance.  They did this primarily to acquire supernatural power, which they usually obtained in the form of an animal spirit helper. But they also entered the supernatural and used its powers to cure, make rain, control animals, find lost objects, predict the future and sometimes bewitch their enemies.

Petroglyphs were made at the conclusion of the medicine man’s vision quest, immediately after he came out of his trance.  This vision quest involved isolation from other people, fasting, meditation and sometimes, the use of tobacco. All of these activities can result in hallucinations, which were considered to be sacred visions.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »
Site of dozens of petroglyphs and pictographs in this cave.   Several caves are in this area, including one famous one especially if you’re a historian or archeologist.

Cave Site

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »
Did you go inside of that one?  It's hard to get an idea of the size, but the ground is well trodden, so I'm guessing that opening is passable.  Amazing pictures..  We just got back from a small excursion to Grapevine Canyon (near Laughlin, NV) and saw what I think were both petroglyphs and pictographs, which were quite faded.

Good thread, wshawkins, with so much information of treasure that I blow past in my hurry to wet a line.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »
Good thread, wshawkins, with so much information of treasure that I blow past in my hurry to wet a line.

Me too! Will make plans to see this area on my way back, as I usualy see Little Lakes at first light of morning on the way up. Thank's again wshawkins!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2014, 07:03:07 AM »

Me too! Will make plans to see this area on my way back, as I usualy see Little Lakes at first light of morning on the way up. Thank's again wshawkins!

Thanks Trev Dog.  Every time I bring somebody up there they are just blown away!  One of Owens Valley little secrets that few know about.  Most are surprised that there is so much to see in such a dry environment!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2014, 07:06:07 AM »
Did you go inside of that one?  It's hard to get an idea of the size, but the ground is well trodden, so I'm guessing that opening is passable.  Amazing pictures..  We just got back from a small excursion to Grapevine Canyon (near Laughlin, NV) and saw what I think were both petroglyphs and pictographs, which were quite faded.

Yes, I went in.  The cave entrance is about 5 feet high so you had to duck or crawl.  The cave went in for about 20 feet and then opened up to where I could stand up.  Nearly pitch dark in the cave so you need lights to see.  Was worth the effort as there were dozens of petroglyphs on the walls of the cave. 

Took some pictures of course but did not come out great, just OK.

Different angle of entrance to cave

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »
Inside the cave

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2014, 07:10:02 AM »
Inside the Cave.  If you look closely you’ll see some bighorn sheep, stick figures, a dog, a hunter, etc..

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »
The Sacatar Trail

The Sacatar Trail, an old wagon road and one of the few evidences of man in this area, provides backcountry access into this wilderness.  The trail follows Little lake Canyon to where it joins Kennedy Meadows Road. 

The Sacatar Trail was the only route into the Owens Valley from the West before the road over Walker Pass was built (Nine Mile Canyon).  Cattle, soldiers, and commercial traffic used this trail.  The Sacatar Trail is now a federally designated wilderness area, managed by the Bureau of Land Management. 

To get to the trail head, head north 0.9 miles from Cinder Road, turn left onto an unnamed dirt road.  Head due west for 3.3 miles over the first and second Los Angeles Aqueducts to the trail head parking.

At Trail Head looking back at Red Hill.  This is the "green" area that most likely been the near one of the marijuana farms.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2014, 07:20:16 AM »
Looking back at Little Lake & Coso Mtns from The Sacatar Trail, about 1.5 miles into the hike.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2014, 07:21:38 AM »
Little Lake Canyon area

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2014, 07:22:56 AM »
Gets more lush as I climb up Little lake Canyon

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2014, 07:24:59 AM »
Beautiful Water Falls about a mile before I arrive in Kennedy Meadows.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »
How many miles is your hike on this venture?  There are so many more places to explore and trails to hike. 
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
I was just fooling around online and saw this:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Dunmovin_Little-Lakes_CA_93542_M20299-25613?source=web

I just though it was cool after learning so much about little lake.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
How many miles is your hike on this venture?  There are so many more places to explore and trails to hike.

Sorry saudust, did not see your question until now…..

Its nine miles if you hike the complete rout to Kennedy Meadows.  But you only really need to hike about 4 ½ miles of the Sacatar Trail as 4-wheel drive roads will take you to Kennedy Meadows.  Once you get out of the dry desert, it is a really a beautiful hike.  And the fishing is surprising good at the crest.  Many meadows with small streams to try your luck for the small trout present.  This area reminds me of lot of the “Golden Trout Wilderness” area out of Lone Pine.  The larger trout are located in the South Fork of the Kern River, which also runs through Kennedy Meadows.  Surprising nobody has done a fishing report from here.  At least I don’t remember any?

My destination for this hike was to meet my wife at Grumpy Bear’s for their excellent barbeques!

Grumpy Bear’s

B.Baxter Matheny

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockcreeklake.com/
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:40 AM »
Hi! 
   I am excited to have found your Little Lake discussion!  You have lots of pictures, yet a dearth of good ones and I hope I can remedy this with my contributions.  I am 64 and sure lived there at the most propitious time.
   Little Lake may have continued in the years following rerouting of the highway, but not thriving on the scale I remember.  Someone described online how it later was an "armpit."  Once it was quite different.  My parents Burl Sr and Isabel Matheny owned and operated Little Lake Hotel & Café in the mid-1950s, and they brought it its real glory, developing the business amazingly.  Customers praised us.  We paid Merle Porter, Royal Pictures, to produce the first ever color postcard, seen here (click and drag bar at bottom to view both sides).  We revitalized the hotel, installed the neon sign, built the swimming pool, added the souvenir business.  My parents and my sister Charlotte (all deceased now) and I loved Little Lake so much we considered it to have defined us as a family!  After news of the coming highway diversion, business sense led us to sell.  But we never regained what we'd lost, nor were we ever able to forget.  Charlotte cried when passing Little Lake years later.  And I have been homesick for it my whole life, devastated by its reduction to ghosttown then destruction.  I collect photos and mementos of those happiest times we ever knew. 
   On Facebook there is a "Little Lake California (open group)" that could use some visitors--having just 10 members of which I apparently am the only one from the pre-highway diversion glory days--for "Remembering Little Lake, one of the few towns to disappear from the face of the earth, zip code and all.  This page is for people that lived through, passed through or experienced the town of Little Lake to connect and share stories, photos or memories of that unique place and time."  Let me add my opinion that it was a Heaven on Earth that God must have allowed to be destroyed because He would brook no earthly competition for Heaven!
   From Little Lake days...Always,
B.Baxter Matheny

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:18:48 AM by B.Baxter Matheny »

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
Welcome to our little slice of history and love of the Owen's Valley; and RCL in particular. Hawk I consider one of our historians as well as Scout, Tim and others I can't name at the moment.  We all try to contribute to enrich at least the awareness of the Valley and the history. I look  forward to your future installments! Welcome!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2014, 10:37:29 PM »
Welcome to the Board and thanks for sharing some of Little Lake's History. 
The creek is waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:37 AM »
Yes, welcome to the Board B.Baxter Matheny!  Always nice to hear from someone who actually lived there during its boom years.  Must have been great to live there as a child, with so much to do in the area.  I believe they built the divided 4-lane highway in about 1958 according to my parents.  Your parents were smart to realize that the new highway was the beginning of the end for Little Lake, though it might have hurt you and your sister at the time.

Thanks for sharing some of Little Lakes History, and if you have more stories and/or pictures, we would love to see them!

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »
Welcome B. Baxter. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I  stopped at the cafe many times during the '50' , probably bought coffee and snacks from your parents.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock