Author Topic: Little Lake  (Read 63407 times)

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Little Lake
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
I remember the town quite well and watched it transform and deteriorate over the years during our annual trips to the creek.  Most people driving by wouldn't even know that it used to be a town.   
The creek is waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
How do you gain entrance to the Little Lake overview.... I have driven by there hundreds of times and never saw that sign..

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 06:57:49 AM »
I remember the town quite well and watched it transform and deteriorate over the years during our annual trips to the creek.  Most people driving by wouldn't even know that it used to be a town.

Yes Little Lake is gone, but remembered fondly by some.  Although forgotten by many travelers along Highway 395 and many of them folks never knew the town existed as you stated.  That’s why I posted this story.  If you don’t write or talk about it, it dies forever.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
How do you gain entrance to the Little Lake overview.... I have driven by there hundreds of times and never saw that sign..

Retired, to get to the “Little Lake Overlook”:  Heading north bound on 395: Turn right (east) onto Cinder Road at the signs for Fossil Falls/Little Lake.  Little Lake Overlook is located 4.9 miles from the Highway.  Travel past Fossil Falls about 2 miles to the Power Line Road.  Turn right (south) on the Power Line Road and follow the signs to Little Lake Overlook for about 2.75 miles.  Turn right (west) to entrance.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »
Love these old photos.  Another Frashers Photo from 1936

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »
Doing a little 4-wheel driving, looking back at the little Post Office, 395 and Little Lake

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »
wshawkins,

Your posts and the history discussed therein has kept our RCL DT's at bay.

I look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks for the images and history.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
Your welcome vhbcinc!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
Just a few yards away from Little lake is the start of the piped L.A. Aqueduct. 

This is the original pipe from the turn of the century.  Was empty and abandoned

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
New pipeline from Little Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »
Found some track nearby they must of forgot about?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 06:53:56 AM »
This heading towards Owens Lake (dry) as the land takes it back.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
Overview of Little Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »
There was fishing and camping at Little Lake.  Not sure what year they stopped it.  Looks like they fished for bass, which makes since as trout would have a hard time surviving the warm summer months.  Found these photos from the book "The Zig Zag Post Office" by Jane A. Thomann.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:52:59 AM by wshawkins »

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
Great stuff, wshawkins.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »
Did you see the size of the Bass!  Seems the fish were always bigger in the old days. ;D

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »
Like to share my memories of Little Lake from the 1960's;

My dad had a 4-Wheel-Drive Willys Station wagon with wood paneling we took just about anywhere in the Eastern Sierra.  Think it was a 1949 or 1950 model, not sure of that.  But we had to stop every so often to cool down the radiator.  So a stop at Little Lake and Sherman Grade were mandatory in them days.  I remember on a hot summer’s day (no ac), I walked into the building with my father. It was air-conditioned and cool.  There was a bar, with a Hamm's Beer sign on the wall, which had an animated waterfall, to illustrate the Hamm's slogan of "From the Land of Sky Blue Waters".  It all seemed very magical and enchanting to me as a small lad.  I my father always bought us something for us to drink and we made it a relief stop.  They also had great ice cream there.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 07:26:42 AM »
Little Lake and Lichen

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »
Little Lake near the overlook

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
Thanks as always Hawkins!
I have memories of Little Lake.  First the hotel burning leaving only the Chevron/"Standard" station for a few years then it was closed down... Sigh.   Also a LEO who would sit on the s/b entrance of 395; there would have a good view of the n/b and s/b traffic.  :sheriff:. I have a friend that his dad was a machinist for DWP that traveled the 395 corridor fixing pumps and turbines. He told me that on the sly DWP types were allowed to fish pretty much anywhere on DWP property with a blind eye turned towards them...
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2013, 07:23:25 AM »
Thanks for the memories Tex.

Had a friend at work who retired some years back tell me stories about fishing Haiwee Reservoir (Between Little Lake and Olancha) and the Tinemaha Reservoir (Near Big Pine) with DWP employees he knew and catching some rather big ones.  Never knew if he was pulling my leg or it was legit.  I wish I could have tagged along.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »
Another shot of the old Post Office.  You can almost see an old-timer rocking in the chair. ;D

Gypsy Wind

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
This thread has been a great read, as are all of them.
I thought my mind was slipping thinking there was a town here, I was sure I remembered pulling off the highway in this area, back in the late 80's. I was getting desperately low on gas on a winter trip to Mammoth and cruised through town but the lone gas station was closed.

Even more coincidental to find this on CL:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/reo/4253815747.html

May be an opportunity for you history buffs???

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 06:56:42 AM »
How interesting Gypsy Wind!  On Craigslist no less.  I like know how it claims there is a 2br/1ba cottage/cabin fixer upper there?  Fixer upper is correct.  See below.

Just needs a little paint. ;D  Where was that bathroom at? :arrowhead:

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
This is all so fascinating, every time I drive up 395 I think of Little Lake as the entrance to the Sierras. I've driven past it many dozens of times over the years, and had no idea of the history of the area and town. This thread gives me a new appreciation of the history of the Valley. On our yearly trip to the creek last year, we finally decided to drive up to Bodie, another place I'd driven by dozens of times but had never been to. It was well worth it. Now, my next goal(s) will be to stop at Little Lake, and I also think I owe it to myself to stop at Manzanar. Thanks, everyone for all the info. And Merry Christmas!