Author Topic: Little Lake  (Read 63414 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Little Lake
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2013, 07:10:07 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the history of the town and the area Big Steve.  I enjoyed sharing it with everyone.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 07:16:51 AM »
Little Lake before the dam was put in and the railroad over the  tulle beds in 1909

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
Some more old photos:

This was the "old" Little Lake Hotel and Saloon from 1910

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Little Lake Railroad Depot from 1910

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2013, 06:54:39 AM »
Little Lake Garage and Store from 1918.  From the book "Zig Zag Post Office".

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2013, 06:58:16 AM »
Building the "Little Lake Hotel in 1921.  Took four years to build this hotel.  From the book "Zig Zag Post Office".

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2013, 06:59:50 AM »
Little Lake 1921.  Lot of flat tires back then!  From the book "Zig Zag Post Office".

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2013, 07:01:27 AM »
The Hotel is almost done 1923.   From the book "Zig Zag Post Office".

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »
I had friends that grew up in Little Lake and bussed to LP, and then when they were old enough to drive they drove themselves..  We always stopped there on trips to Ridgecrest.  I recognize some of the cars in the photos from 1980.  I recall the Rustic Motel in Olancha being the site of the Bates Hotel, not Little Lake Hotel, at least that's what the rumors were.  I have no firsthand knowledge of such because I wasn't born when Psycho was filmed.  Once in a while I cruise thru Little Lake on my way south just to reminisce of the booming little town.  There was always a lot of people there.  It was sad when it burned down.  I remember seeing the trains out by Owens Lake when I was a kid.
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
Thanks for your memories of Little Lake DoubleDingo.  I heard also that they had some great parties at the Little Lake Hotel. 

I spent some time exploring and shooting photos at Olancha few years ago as they have so much character in their buildings.  Many were abandoned, but most were in "arrested decay", such as the Rustic Motel and the Ranch Hotel.  Either one of them hotels could be in the running as the site of the “Bates Motel”. ;D

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2013, 07:13:02 AM »
This is a postcard that I own (I collect old postcards) from my collection.  This is the store & Post Office right after it was built I beleave.  Hotel is in the background from 1924.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »
Little Lake 1926.   From the book "Zig Zag Post Office".

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2013, 07:16:03 AM »
Another one of the Store and Post Office in 1928.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2013, 07:18:05 AM »
Post Office winter of 1935.  Building on the left was the home of the Postmaster.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 07:18:49 AM »
Frashers Photo of Little Lake from 1936

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:04 AM »
Little Lake from 1939.  The new highway (395) was put in to the right near the buildings.  The building were for the horses and other stock.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2013, 07:23:56 AM »
Little Lake from the mid 1950's.  From the book "Zig Zag Post Office".

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »
Looking south/west on the road through Little Lake.  The graffiti is on the lava rock.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2013, 07:24:27 AM »
This is looking north on the road through town.  This is part of the original "Midland Trail" that used to run in these parts.  It runs about 1/2 mile west of the 395 alignment going north.  You can still drive on the original road, as it follows the railroad track mostly.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2014, 07:20:46 AM »
Just a little about the Midland Trail.  I believe Scout talked about it on a tread as it goes by Toms Place near Rock Creek.  Interesting history I believe.

The Midland Trail

The Midland Trail was an unimproved wagon trail dating back to the 1860s that first served the silver and gold camps in the early 1900s.  It was still nothing more than a dirt trail in 1913 when it received its name, Midland Trail, as part of a much longer transcontinental route of that name.

The Midland Trail, also called the Roosevelt Midland Trail, was a national auto trail spanning the United States from Washington, D.C. west to Los Angeles and San Francisco, California.  First road signed in 1913, it was one of the first, if not the first, marked transcontinental auto trails in America.

The Automobile Club of Southern California marked the route very well, starting in 1915.  The Midland Trail was signed as US-6.  The Midland Trail was added to the U. S. federal highway system in 1937, with the extension of highway 6 from Denver westward.  It was further given the appellation “Grand Army of the Republic Highway” in 1953.

In 1964, the great decommissioning of US routes in California truncated US-6 to Bishop, but one can find the Midland Trail by taking US-395 south from there, then turning on to California state route 14, which parallels the old road, and then San Fernando Road (old US-6/US-99 multiplex) into Los Angeles.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »
Unimproved Wagon Trail as seen from about 1900

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2014, 07:23:01 AM »
Midland Trail Tour Guide 1916.  My own personal Copy

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
The Midland Trail Tour Book 1916

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »
Midland Trail Sign at Little Lake 1913

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 07:25:40 AM »
Stage Coach near Little Lake on the Midland Trail 1914