Author Topic: Little Lake  (Read 84050 times)

B.Baxter Matheny

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockcreeklake.com/
Re: Little Lake
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
Answering my post of Feb 18, 2014, WSHAWKINS commented that he'd really "like to have that Chevy today."  He was referring to the car, visible at extreme right in top photo below made by my late Uncle Roy, which my family drove to California from Texas that we still had when we owned Little Lake Hotel and Cafe in the 1950s.  Today someone posted on Facebook's Photos of Los Angeles a shot of another old red Chevrolet that I was able to match almost exactly with this cropping of our car that I obtained from the pic in my post.  I apologize for the poor quality, and hope it doesn't seem off-topic but contributions are desperately needed to continue the Message Board's wonderful Little Lake thread.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:42:45 PM by B.Baxter Matheny »

Hybo

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Little Lake
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
I am so thankful for finding this thread.  I have traveled up and down the 395 for decades and of course remember this place.  Unfortunately, I only knew it when it was basically abandoned, or appeared that way.  I will always remember the Confederate flag flying proudly on the hotel during it's latter days.  Would love to know more about the story of the last owner.

Also, thanks to everyone for the great photos.  Would love to hear more personal stories about all of the people that worked and owned the businesses here.  Great photo of your late sister Mr. Matheny, thanks for sharing.  Any more photos of her and others?  Would love to see them. 

Love the rock front of this hotel.  Those rocks remind me of when I, as a child of about 12 or 13, went to the area just south of Little Lake, in about 1968 or 69.  We were there to collect volcanic rocks in order to bring them back home to Mission Viejo so that my dad could build a landscape wall with them.  Dad, his co-worker and myself driving in a van loaded with rocks...Just north of Johannesburg, where the start of the long upgrade begins, going southbound, had a rear flat tire, lost control of the van, rolled a couple of times and ended up in the middle of the road.  Dad's co-worker, driving the van, had not a scratch.  Dad busted three ribs and I ended up tumbling in the back of van, among the rocks, flew threw the double doors, landed with a bunch of cuts and bruises.  God was watching over us that day.  We went to the same area later, gathered more volcanic rock, and my dad built that wall with a little help from me. 

Please, post more info here along with pics, so interesting to many.  Thanks to all again.