Author Topic: The Manzanar Fishing Club  (Read 5737 times)

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
The Manzanar Fishing Club
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
http://www.fearnotrout.com/

Gotta be an interesting view...I think they were at the Fred Hall show, weren't they?
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: The Manzanar Fishing Club
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I have read about this book and story before and look forward to seeing the movie.  Let's hope it makes it out to more theatres soon, Santa Monica is a long way from everywhere for most of the board members, yet is one of the premier Independent Film launch locations, outside of the big festivals in the early winter months.

Look forward to seeing this when able. 8)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »
Anything about Manzanar intrigues me.  My uncle taught music there during the war.. he is known as the 'music man of manzanar'. 

I have been lucky enough to meet many of the folks who were detained there during their anuall pilmagrage back to Manzanar.  It is really interesting to hear and learn of their thoughts and views of being there.   

This will be another great chapter to see.
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the link! I think I will try to get there this Friday with my son while he is home on spring break from college. We have visited Manzanar a few times both before and after the new museum opened there. For those of you in the LA area, the Japanese American National Museum in Downtown LA (Little Tokyo area) also has exhibits and info on Manzanar. Here's the website if you are interested: www.janm.org
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
Cory has done some great work!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »
Claremont dude!! I'm a Claremont dude as well!! Cheers
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
Claremont dude!! I'm a Claremont dude as well!! Cheers

So were the current owners of Tom's Place! Small world.  :)
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Sierraslam

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
Watched the trailer, looks very cool.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »
FYI - The Laemmle Theaters indicated below are having additional showings of the Manzanar Fishing Club the weekend of 4/21-4/22:

4/21-22 — “The Manzanar Fishing Club,” which recently completed a successful one-week run in Santa Monica, will be playing on the weekend of April 21-22 at the following theaters:

Laemmle’s Playhouse 7, 673 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena
Laemmle’s Noho 7, 5240 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood
Laemmle’s Claremont 5, 450 W. 2nd St., Claremont
Laemmle’s Monica 4-plex, 1332 2nd St., Santa Monica

There will be one screening each day at 11 a.m. For theater information, call (310) 478-3836 or visit www.laemmle.com.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
Attended the April 21st showing in Claremont. The movie was wonderful and as an added bonus, the director was there to talk to the audience. The director said he was never told by his parents that they were interned - he discovered it late in life and that's what led to his research and the movie.  In addition there were members of the audience that were actually interned at Manzanar. The was one gentleman whose parents met while interned at Manzanar.  All in all it was an interesting event!

IW

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »
I too find things about Manzanar interesting.   I remember driving by on the way up 395 during WWII after hoarding coupons for gas and seeing it lit up from several miles away.  I remember asking my father about all the lights.

Certainly worth a stop for a couple of hours, particularly with kids to learn about that sordid history of ours.