Author Topic: Full Moon Fishing  (Read 4665 times)

johnjcampnfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Full Moon Fishing
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »
OK, so my son and I are going up to the Eastside this Saturday through Monday, camping at the Mammoth Motel 6, and hitting Alligator point on Crowley and then just about everywhere we can between Sabrina and Lundy.  The reports from the weekend had me jazzed up for the trip, until I learned today that there will be a full moon Saturday.  And not just a full moon, but the biggest full moon of the year.  I was starting to get a little bummed out and decided to google "fishing and a full moon". One of the first hits was this article by a fishing guide who says that, from his experience, the only connection between the moon, the sun, and the bite is that the bite is always better around the sunrise, moonrise, sunset, and moonset whether it's full or not.  So that makes me feel better.  Does anybody here put much stock in solunar tables or have any experiences with them?

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Full Moon Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Don't know about trout fishing under a full moon,  but it can make it tougher in bass fishing,  because the fish will feed all night,  then maybe not much in the daytime...but that is in heat of the summer,  and all the noise from the morons (waterskiiers and jet skiiers)  might have something to do with it.  I have heard the full moon phase can make the Sierra lakes tougher in the summer,  but I wouldn't worry about it now.  Besides,  you are going to the Sierras,  it can't be all bad!!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Sierraslam

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »
Usually the early bird gets the the worm....  unless the moon is full, then the late bird gets the prize. Just my experience. I'm going up at the same time you are. if fishing slows in the afternoon, hit it for the last 2 hours of sunlight. Seems to work for this salty old trout dog. I'm fishing Greenbanks Friday early as I can. Have a good trip! Good fishin!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
I wanted to fish Greenbanks on Sunday, but they were still charging money to enter and I'll be dammed if I will ever give the DWP one penney to fish Crowley....

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
My experience is the same as Sierraslam. Fishing during the day after a full moon is tough, best results is last few hours of daylight, or when the LAKES are completely in shade. Creeks dont seem to matter, so hit the creeks imo, Specially this early in they year, most creeks have had little pressure so there are a TON of hold over trout from last year that are BIG and MEATY!!!

Good luck!

MGD

:pie:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »
Well the parts of the creeks that dont have a trail right up to the fishing hole.. thats always a waste of time.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
Always found it very difficult to do well on the streams and rivers during a day after a full moon.
  I was told it has to with better night visibility for the fish and they eat better without getting spooked.

But what do I know, I still try to go out there and have a good time anyway.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
Enjoy the time with your son, sure you want to catch some fish but maybe take him back into the Little Lakes region one day even if you don't catch anything your son will be aw struck with the beauty of that area. Skip some rocks across the water with him on some the lakes do some wading through the creeks. When my son was young he loved exploring and taking pictures more to bide his time unless the fish were biting he would get bored easily. However because of all the other stuff we did he can't wait for returning to the Eastern Sierras each year. Get him a piece of pie if the Resort is open and take him to breakfast at either Jack's in Bishop or Toms place at the Rock Creek turn off. He will be aw struck.
Have a Great Time

Mitchell300

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:03:20 AM »
I've NEVER had good fishing during a full moon - won't even try anymore. But if you're in the Sierras with your son, I can't think of a better place to be EVER.