Author Topic: My week at the creek  (Read 9028 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
My week at the creek
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
Left home last Wed. at 0600, had zero traffic on 395 but had winds the entire drive...Got to French camp at 1100, got my favorite site, opened bear box to see a bunch of trash and spent 10 minutes cleaning out the firepit that was filled to the top with ashes.. Collected pine cones and downed wood for the week...The creek was stocked Tuesday by DFG and I could see at least 200 fish, they were much larger than I have ever seen stocked, 13-16 inches and a few lunkers...Went shooting for two hours, came back to camp and in bed by 1830...

Hit the Owens above Benton Crossing and tossed lures for 3 hours, catching 4 small trout.. was the only one there.. River was muddy in color... Went to the monument section and walked all the way to the lake and never saw one fish... Had a gut feeling that fishing would be poor for the opener and boy was I right...Went shooting again for a few hours before the wind came up and headed back to camp where the wind started roaring down the canyon about 1500, I don't mean a slight breeze, winds were 60-70 MPH. I spent about 4 hours in my tent holding the poles so they wouldn't break..

Friday, went to the Lower Owens and fished by Five Bridges area and on 2nd cast caught a beautiful 18 inch brown, told the fish it was nice to meet him and sent him back to play with his friends..Fished for about 4 hours, caught 5 more.. Came back to camp, cooked a steak and hit the rack about 2000... Campground had about 25 vacant sites both Friday and Saturday mights.

Sat.. Opening day. Hit the Upper Owens at the monument area at 0700 and first thought was, where the heck is everyone. There was only 25 fishermen on the river..Fished for over 4 hours and never had one GD bite no matter what I used.. I only saw one man catch a fish and every one I talked to said they also had no bites... When I left you could count the fishermen on one hand.. This was only the second time I got skunked on the river on the opening day...Went back to camp and fished the creek from East Fork down to French and caught and released about 15 fish..Went back to the Owens for about 90 minutes and zip, nada zilch...

Sunday, fished Crowley at Alligator point by Layton Springs and caught 4 nice sized pink meated rainbows, the largest about 3 pounds...Had a group of ghetto hood rats near me and the trash and garbage they left behind was absolutly disgusting. You idiots shouldn't be allowed to enter Inyo/MonoCounty...I spent 10 minutes picking all the trash up after they left...

Monday, hit the river for 2 hours and again the big skunk, I was the only one there... Went back to Layton Springs on Crowley and caught 5 more nice size trout... very few people on the lake. Went shooting for another 2 hours.

Tuesday,, fished the creek for about 4 hours caught about 10 released all and headed home about 1300...

Overall a good trip great weather except for the hurricane winds on Thursday. Was very disappointed in the poor fishing on the Upper Owens. Don't know why but the fishing in that river has really gone down in the past 3 years...The lady at Browns Campground said a survey was done for spawning fish and the count was only about 200 fish... Don't know if that was a true statement but if so it doesn't look good for future fishing...

Now my rant... You people that only come up once a year need to learn some fishing etiquette, you don't come in large groups where a person is fishing and take over someones hole..You don't walk away with 50-60 fish and wipe out a stocked hole. If your ghetto rats, stay in your own turf and make a mess there, don't come to the Sierras and throw all your trash and garbage for me to pick up..

Total miles drives....901
total gas money      180.00

Sierraslam

Re: My week at the creek
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »
Nice trip! Crowley really produces some nice trout. I can't wait to get into some of those pink meat hold overs. I once carried a case of empty Carona Bottles back to my truck from Alligator Point. It really is disgusting. Could you imagine what the shoreline of Crowley would look like if they let people camp there all season? How hard is it to pick up your own trash? Good Fishin!

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the report retired.

Sorry for the behavior of those folks, it would of dampened my trip as well. I just can't envision what is in their head(maybe cause nothing is there).
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
Nice report... I was at Crowley on Saturday and Sunday, My first time fishing there, I agree there were alot of ghetto rats there just to party and piss the real fisherman off -  both on shore and on boats - What happen to common courtesy of not ripping by right behind someone trolling - lost a nice lure getting my line cut - for awhile there - I thought there were some boat races going on - and whats up with all the loud music - was there a competition to see which motor home had the biggest sound system. I can't wait for RCL to thaw, I love the peace and quiet there, But I did catch a couple nice browns with beautiful pink meat.
Kim

Fredb

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
Good to hear overall it was a good trip.
I have also been around a few of those yahoos while up at Palisades and it does put a damper on your relaxation, only these were family. Now I try to go with just my kids and I, less stress and aggravations

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
Thanks for the great report R96.

Thank you for cleaning up after these morons.
Pleople like that do not deserve to be in the Sierras or any other great area like the Sierras

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
I always look forward to your reports, retired - you really tell it like it is. :)  The reason I head up to the East Side is so that I can get away from yahoos like those you mention.  You do have to hike in a bit to do so sometimes, though.  Glad to hear this season was pretty successful for you.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
Great report Retired,   your reports are always entertaining!  You should have arrested those fools from the chrome rim crowd...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
Terry,, they were not the chrome rim crowd,, they were the lowlife, pants hanging off their butts, straight outta Compton waste of humans... need I say more....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 04:27:44 PM »
Forgot to add in my original post, I never saw one Game Warden for the entire week, I'm sure they were up there but I never even saw one driving by....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »
always love your reports retired!  may this be the first of many for this year!!      humm. perhaps using the lowlifes as targets would be good use for them?   
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
Thanks for the great report.  At convict there were a few yahoos, but didn't really seem too many other people like that around.

Forgot to add in my original post, I never saw one Game Warden for the entire week, I'm sure they were up there but I never even saw one driving by....

On the day of the opener I saw them walking around Gull Lake, and then watching the lake with binoculars.  Also saw them at Convict lake doing the same thing. 

On Sunday as we were leaving Sabrina he was coming down the road.  We stopped him and had a nice conversation.

On the DFG facebook page they posted pictures of someone they caught with 8 fish over the limit.  They had 38 fish total, and only 3 guys.  So they had their bag limit plus 8.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Nice report Retired!

Saw the game wardens on friday parked at the Benton Crossing bridge, they walked up and talked to every person fishing, which was a lot probably around 40 people. Saw them again on opeing day twice. Once to enter Convict lake, and the second time, they drove right into my camp and asked if we had been fishing, and how many we caught. They were out there you just didnt see em.

:goodpost:    :thanks:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

johnjcampnfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 06:59:58 PM »
Too bad about the ghetto rat infestation.  I heard that people have to park at the fence and walk all the way out to the point, instead of driving right up to that old survey pole.  I would think that the longer walk would discourage the scum from at least carrying too much stuff.  Maybe when gasoline reaches $6.00/gal it will thin out the less dedicated.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
R96
Sounds like you had a pretty good trip overall, except for your run ins with the bozo`s. It`s pretty sad the way some people choose to act.

Thanks for the report, look forward to more in the future.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 01:40:14 AM »
You Tell Em R96! I liked that. Your report has got me going crazy, I love Owens River and Rock Creek. To bad your first trip was a little rough. At least it was fairly economical, whats that? About 21 mpg? not bad.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 07:44:58 AM »
R96 I hear your frustration over the people that don't respect the outdoors. I've ranted about this before, and I'm glad you thought enough to pick up after them. Glad you had a great first trip!

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
Nice report  :goodpost:

It always breaks my heart when I see people like that in places I love . Thank You for cleaning up after them ,I try to do the same whenever I 'm there .
Did you meet the new hosts at French camp ?
The Creek is Waiting...

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
On Crowley Sunday the DFG - came and checked me and my husbands licenses and boat while we were headed back into the dock - first time I have ever seen them
Kim

Mitchell300

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »
R96 - I was in my tube off of Aligator point on Sunday and wittnesed your "ghetto rats". After watching them from afar and then seeing them leave laughing about the carnage they wrought on the beach, I figured karma is paying them back by the miserable lives they must endure back at home.

You, on the other hand, must be blessed and surely have a special place reserved in heaven for the good deed of cleaning up that mess - and I am here to tell you all that it was one of the worst messes I've ever seen. Thank you...

Mitchell300

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 01:28:20 AM »
BTW - there were a couple of the boys shooting soft air pellets at me as I paddled out even though I was about 50 yards away. A real classy group. I was a little concerned about my truck when I saw them leave.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
All there little pellet guns ended up broken on the ground and there were hundreds of those little green pellets laying around...

Fredb

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 06:36:54 AM »
It's too bad no one snapped a photo of these morons so we could post it on here or turned their miserable butts in.
These people complain about the filth they live in but are the first to tag new buildings, freeway walls and overpasses.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:40:28 AM by Fredb »

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »

Now my rant... You people that only come up once a year need to learn some fishing etiquette, you don't come in large groups where a person is fishing and take over someones hole..You don't walk away with 50-60 fish and wipe out a stocked hole. If your ghetto rats, stay in your own turf and make a mess there, don't come to the Sierras and throw all your trash and garbage for me to pick up..

:rotflmao:   We call them Barney's...and I totally agree with you about those that don't know what they are doing.  I have a hard time with the gang bangers in the Sierra's. I don't back down and stand my ground with them...which always tends to confuse them, which I find amusing.  But unless you are in LE, I would not try this at home. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:13:56 PM by RockNCreekGirl »
The creek is waiting...

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
We call them "Jabronis". (As described in a former incarnation of this board.")

And, we call the area that the inhabit while in the Sierras as the "Jabroni Zone".

They are primarily flat-landers, but will occasionally drive to the end of the road and then walk a short distance.
Altitude generally discourages them, and hard work and long hikes are usually out of their realm.
Their boundaries include any lake or stream that can be driven to, or walked to, in less than an hour.

Their presence can be determined by loud "music" with very limited tonal or rhythmic variation. Kinda mostly goes "thud, thud...thud...thud. Thud, thud...thud...thud", and, if from a vehicle, every part on it vibrates.

They are not good at land navigation, and so employ the Hansel & Gretal method of route-return, using wrappers, peelings, popsicle sticks, etc.

Herd mentality is their norm, and they can be aggressive if they are in the majority. However, if caught alone, they are generally meek and mild. A gentle bluff can cause them to move off. They should be considered armed and dangerous if encountered in a parking lot or park.

If separated from their herd at a young age, or if they have responsible parents, they can be educated and trained to be normal, producing humans, with great potential.

If you do not want to interact with them, proceed at the highest speed possible, through their "zone" to the high country where the rarified air and harsher conditions discourage their presence.

OldSarge
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:29:38 PM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!