Author Topic: Golden Trout Lakes Advice  (Read 4454 times)

caddisjb

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Golden Trout Lakes Advice
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »
I'm trying to plan a trip to the Golden Trout Lakes for some fly fishing this summer. Has anyone done this hike? Is it good to take for teenagers and a dog? Thanks for any input.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Trout Lakes Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
There is a thread in this ESF section called "Goldens from Rock Creek Area" that has some information.  There used to be another thread, but maybe that went away when we had something bad happen (don't dare say it).
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
Are you talking about Golden Trout Lakes  above Onion Valley?
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

caddisjb

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »
Yes, above Onion Valley. I have read a little on the internet, but you can't always believe whats on the net. Thanks for any input/advice.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
Caddisjb, did you read the thread that Sawdust mentioned? It has good information, and Sierraslam knows the area well, as does wshawins.Sierraslam does a lot of utube videos and they are always great.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I thought it was a tough hike and I caught a few small brooks, no goldens. Poorly maintained trail, at least when I was there. Try the Cottonwoods......
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »
Caddisjb, Per a Tom Harrison topo map, it looks like a demanding hike. Appreciate any info. you find on these lakes

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:04:10 AM »
I have done the hike a couple times not using the trail but heading straight to the lake and going over the ridge.  By far the fastest way and not that bad.  For fishing I have done much better in exit stream than the lake.   I have not had an exceptional day.  3-4 golden is the best I have managed working maybe 0.25 miles downstream. 

If you want a nice lake with few people then it is nice.  If your primary reason for going is the golden fishing it is not that great.  I can do much better at lower Laurel (or the Laurel stream) for much less work.   I average >10 from lower Laurel and can drive to water edge of the upper Laurel. Only thing is that most of the fish caught at Laurel do not meet the size restrictions of that area (but some do :=).