Author Topic: 2013-dry dry dry...  (Read 4915 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
2013-dry dry dry...
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
This is from Sierra Drifter's Guide service:  Well it's official. The driest year ever recorded in California is now on the books. I hope I do not stand corrected by predicting a normal precipitation year; however it is not looking good friends, and this persistent ridge of ultra high pressure is forecast to remain for the foreseeable future damn it! The local bears are coming out of hibernation three months early! I have been forced for the first time in nearly twenty years here to water my deciduous trees, in a T-shirt-They are budding! 60 degrees does not seem that warm to ya'll in So-Cal, but for McGee Creek in mid January it is unreal. The "catching" remains excellent in several areas. Hope you get a chance to enjoy spring time in January. Beg, plead, do rain dances, use a last wish, pray, whatever it takes we desperately need snow and rain! be the fly
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-dry dry dry...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »
Topwater, when are the desalinization plants going to be thought about in earnest?  The high pressure ridge is extending border to border on the west coast and in to Colorado.  What a mess we are in store for this summer.  The creeks aren't even going to be running in June at this rate.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:32:51 PM »
Art-that will prolly happen about the same time we start using something other than gas in all our cars.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  My dad's crew in the navy used to turn salt into fresh water...because they had to.  Saudi Arabia has desalt plants because they have to.  We don't...not yet...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »
Ya guys, it's pretty dry.

Down about 80% from what I'm hearing.

This will be an interesting year.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:29 AM »
This warm winter has caused some of my plants to bloom 3-4 months earlier than normal. I have no hope for a rain or snow miracle this year... The water in the Sierras this season is going to be downright grim. With the Governors comments yesterday of a drought emergency, I can  see some strict water restrictions this year.

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
Topwater, when are the desalinization plants going to be thought about in earnest?  The high pressure ridge is extending border to border on the west coast and in to Colorado.  What a mess we are in store for this summer.  The creeks aren't even going to be running in June at this rate.

Art,

I have been told that the MWD has been evaluating bids for the construction of the required desalinisation infrastructure.  Over the past month the bids for the main intake line have been completed.  I think that this pipeline extends several miles into the Pacific per the bid specifications. 

I am not sure when the desal plant bids were completed, but my guess is that they were made final last year.  This means that the design process was probably completed in 2009,..., in advance of this water shortage.

The MWD been very aware of the water crisis and have been actively working on a mitigation plan.  Most folks don't realize this because the bids for the work are not discussed in public by the media.

I have been told that he storage facilities (reservoirs) have already been designed.  We should see those go out to bid in a few months.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »
vhbcinc, thanks for the update and your insight.  "Necessity is the mother of invention" and it is good to know our public agency recognized the need and is actively pursuing a recourse.  Hooray for something positive!!!  Although actual construction would take an eternity, the path is being laid out.  There has to a beginning somewhere.  Not being a student of this, but reading enough to know that technology has been here to do it for some time now, this is a massive undertaking perhaps a bit overdue.  Nothing like our worst drought in California's recorded history to bring it to the forefront.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
California officials both state and major cities have always known that our state can suffer at the hands of a severe drought that could last years...There is no GD excuse that years ago plans were not made to utilize the Pacific Ocean for a water source for those in the Southern Calif areas..  If something would have been done 25-30 years ago we wouldn't be in the position we are in now....But no , our governments would rather spend our tax dollars on useless BS....or better yet give billions to countries that hate us....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »
I have a cousin who works in the oil industry,  and he says oil companies will look for alternate power sources...but not until they have too.  It's the same as alternate water sources,  DWP or MWD won't do it...till they have to.  It looks like maybe that time has come if they have some desalt plants in the planning process.  I think Lake Cachuma is hooked up to the aquaduct just in case,  and when that happened the plans for a desalt plant off Santa Barbara was scrapped...As far as giving money to folks who don't like us,  we give lots to oil companies that rip us new ones on a regular basis,  but hey,  let's not get political here :lol2:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:22:50 PM by Topwater Terry »

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
This is not political,,, why is California willing to spend millions if not billions of dollars for a rail system that probably will not get much use... that money could have been far better used....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »
This sucks!  We need some snow.  Not only will the streams be low, the tree's in the canyon needed a hard cold winter to kill the Bark Beetle epidemic.  Looks like I will be selling some firewood this year!
The creek is waiting...

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
Well we are behind the world in a lot of different areas.  As far as trains,  ours look prehistoric to those in Europe or Japan,  but as far as the water,  Roy,  it might take these real dry years to get er done as far as desalt plants.  Tons of pressure on the Sierra watershed,  and plenty on the Colorado River basin too.  Even in 2011 when the Sierras had record snowfall (but not record water content,  a sign of the times),  the Colorado River basin was still in a drought situation.  Gotta use some of the salty stuff sooner or later...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
This is not political,,, why is California willing to spend millions if not billions of dollars for a rail system that probably will not get much use... that money could have been far better used....

Agreed Roy. As broke as this State is, one would think projects like that would have been cut out of the budget long ago. It's a nice to have...not a need to have. I see this as politically neutral too, more based on common sense or lack of.

One may drive a car that's 10 years old, but it runs fine. A new car would be nice, but do you buy one when you're barely making ends meet, or wait for better financial times?

I wonder if folks honestly understand how broke this State is? We need a more practical approach in prioritizing expenses.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:04 AM »
DWP and MWD aint broke,  they make millions in profit every day of the week.  I don't know of any failing oil companies either.  One of these groups could build a desalt plant and make even more money.  Again,  back to my original point.  California is not a very wet state right now.  It is dry.  We have a lot of salty water close by.  We could use it.  We have a lot of sun and wind for power.  We can use it...but won't until we absolutely have to.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »

Looks like the bad news keeps coming. Only 13% of normal snow pack so far...Dismal. They say the longer the high remains in the same area the stronger it gets.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Maybe if enough of us watch this native Indian rain dance we can conjure up some snow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2e1515l7Tc

:shoveling:
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
The train money will be used to supplement the cost of new hydro projects needed to mitigate the loss of water.

The new projects include desalinisation facilities, reservoirs, wells and canals.

Based on what we have seen, this pile of projects looks just like the WPA from the 1930's.  The projects are huge in terms of facility creation, the creation of jobs and overall cost.

Let's hope for quick results...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 08:16:22 PM »
i had a breaking news alert come over today.....    it said. 'rain coming on thursday'

i sure hope so.     this is the first time weather has made our local news alerts:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »
the state just announced '0' water deliveries to many farmers in the central valley...

0, as in zero, as in none, as in oh my .....
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
the state just announced '0' water deliveries to many farmers in the central valley...

0, as in zero, as in none, as in oh my .....

And this hints towards another point of view a good friend sent me recently..

http://www.mantecabulletin.com/section/38/article/96764/