Author Topic: Tamarack Lakes  (Read 3984 times)

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
Tamarack Lakes
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
Does anyone know the actual distance from the Tamarack trailhead at RCL to Tamarack lakes? One guy told me it was 3 miles, but it seemed way longer. I also had all of my gear on, including my waders, so that might have made it seem longer. It almost looks like 5ish on google maps, not factoring in twist and turns.

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Tamarack Lakes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »
Per the Tom Harrison Mono Divide High Country trail map it is 4.9 miles from the Rock lake campground to Tamarack Lake. That's a tough hike in waders and waderboots. Are Francis, Kenneth or Dorothy lakes fishy? Also, published distance is not always accurate.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:03:10 AM »
Many years ago I heard, due to a hard freeze, that Francis became barren of fish. I believe at one time Francis had Cuts. I remember fishing the lake the year before the hard freeze. Now, I also think someone else mentioned that there either was efforts recently, or will be, to restock Francis. Nice hike, but it can be a tough one with gear.
"Don't get no better than this!"

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
Creek Dude mentioned something about Francis re stocking a while back. Dorothy appeared fishless the one time I was there.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:05 AM »
I camped at Dorothy for a night 2 years ago and it was fishless. Same with Kenneth. As a youngster i caught fish out of both lakes. I heard Francis got some fingerling Cut's 2-3 years ago, but I have not been up that way. Tamarack has many little Brookies now, But I cauth some beatiful Hybrids back in th e day. I did Tamarack in 2 days, 87vette hikes it in 1 day w/ waders on! insane! that last push above the timberline is tough.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »
Haha! It was definitely a hike I'll never forget. I did this on my second trip in late august. I was hoping to fish my way up, but there wasn't too much left of the smaller lakes. Great scenery though. I was with my brother and we were almost dead by the time we got back to RCL. We still got some pie on the way out though.

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
Thanks for the info on the Tamarack Lakes area, I'll try Francis Lake this year

spank13

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
I fished Francis in the late 90's and it was Browns. When I went back in 2003 it was dead. Hopefully they've put something in it to make that brutal hike worth it...

rockman

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 08:04:20 AM »
Way back in the  60's and 70's, my father took us to Rock Creek about 3 times a year.  We always camped at Upper Pine Grove.  Man do I miss it!  We would venture up the trail to Kenneth and  Francis.  Sometimes Kenneth had fish, sometimes not.  The interesting thing about Kenneth was the wooden water gate at one end that allowed water to run in these 2' wide and about 2' deep streams that actually had fish.  Francis from what I remember had rainbow trout and they were good size.

Now bear in mind, I left out that little pond that is just over a small embankment as you reach the top of the trail.  That small diameter pond  (50ft.) had golden trout.   One time we were there, a sheepherder  was bringing his sheep through there.  I even have a photo of that.   

Also, there was a small beaver dam that was close by.  From Upper pine Grove campground, if you look up at the mountain, you would see a larger aspen patch towards the top.  Beaver dam is right over that if you try to go straight up the mountain.   There used to be a guy that lived up there and would come by the lodge to buy things  (or trade).  He was nicknamed "the  Colonel ".  This was when the lodge was run by someone called "Kibby".  Not sure if that was the familys last name or his first name.

Last but not least, there is the pond.  We used to fish it  sometimes 3 times in a 4 day trip. 

You ought of seen the people at camp marvel at us when we returned with a stringer of fish. 

I'm sworn to secretly on what bait we used.  This was the best time of my life.   

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:46:49 PM by rockman »

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »
Welcome Rockman. Interesting first post!
I think I've heard the name Kibbie here;  it was associated with the lodge? I bet Tim (Creeker) would know. Again welcome; thanks for adding a bit of history here.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
I know that Rock Creek Lake resort was run by the Colby's and the Rader's before they sold it to the King's. I never ventured down to the lodge much. There was an old guy that spent all Summer living across from the resort, next to the Ranger cabin. I can't remeber his name now.

rockman

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
The lodge/general store was across the creek (Upper Pine Grove). 

Another funny thing was one time we were hiking up to Kenneth, the trail takes you up the hill and then it levels out.  That was always the time to tell my father that me and my brother needed to rest a minute or two.  So we are sitting on a rock resting when all of a sudden we hear what sounds like a vehicle in low gear about 50 yards coming forward, where some brush was hiding the vehicle. 

To our shock and amazement, this Ford Bronco with two guys in it, stops the car, they get out with their fishing poles and continued on.  Later I learned that the road was Sand Canyon road. 

And to think we hiked the trail all those years and didn't know..........