Author Topic: 1950s Spring Water Drinking Fountain - out of a large rock along Hwy 395  (Read 3262 times)

Fishing Dee

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Does anyone remember the large rock drinking fountain that was near a corner in what I think was a small town along Hwy 395. I remember always stopping there for a drink after the long ride through the Mohave desert back in the 1950s. It was on the East side of the highway and may have been near Lone Pine. The spring water ran continuously and was a huge treat since older cars didn't have air conditioning and we were parched!!

Keeping fingers crossed that someone out there might remember it since my parents are long gone and I am going crazy trying to remember where we saw this! Thanks.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1950s Spring Water Drinking Fountain - out of a large rock along Hwy 395
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
I remember that drinking fountain well, clear cold water coming out of a algae covered spigot. My family would stop to get a drink on our way back home from the cabin, just as yours did. I remember it being on the West side of the highway, roughly a block from the  Main Street in Lone Pine. I have some old home movies of my oldest sister and my Mom taking a sip out of it in the early 40's, I remember it from the 50's, but not much after that. I wonder if it's still there?
It's always nice to think back to those trips, my parents, four kids and all our stuff in a VW bug (first one was 1954), not really in a hurry, some stops along the way to stretch our legs, and in Lone Pine, get a last drink of cold mountain water....thanks for reminding me, Dee.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1950s Spring Water Drinking Fountain - out of a large rock along Hwy 395
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Awesome memories. I haven't seen it myself, but hopefully it is still there.