Author Topic: 2014 Sierra Nevada Photos  (Read 111225 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
2014 Sierra Nevada Photos
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
Let’s continue 2014 with a new photo post of our beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains.  The “Eastern Sierra Photos” thread I believe was a success thanks mostly to all who shared their photos.  Let’s continue this for 2014 and continue to share your pictures of anything “Sierra”.  All Sierra Nevada photos are welcome, old and new.  Let’s this be an inspiration for all of us this coming season!

I’m going to start this thread with a backpacking trip I took last June that started from the Western Sierra and that ended on the Eastern Sierra.  Fished and passed dozens of Sierra Golden Lakes.  Best fishing I ever experienced on a backpacking trip, especially with golden trout!  Normally, I would never take a backpacking trip this early, but with the drought on-going, going over several passes was a breeze.

Lake Thomas A Edison
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Sierra Nevada Photos
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »
This is a picture taken during a hike up McGee Creek August 2013
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »
That was Edison in June, 2013? Here I am 30 plus feet under water by the puddle at the dam in late September.

" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
I love these pictures of the Sierras. It is really cool to have the date attached also. Thanks to all who have posted. I truly wish that I could have had time and energy when I was younger to see these beautiful places of God's creation, that He made for our enjoyment.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:17:20 PM »
That was Edison in June, 2013? Here I am 30 plus feet under water by the puddle at the dam in late September.

Bj, the picture is a bit deceiving as the lake was down about 20 + feet and maybe half full at that time.  I heard later they drained the lake down to a mud hole, where even the water taxi could not operate.  They ended up shutting down the resort earlier than scheduled due to low lake levels.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
I love these pictures of the Sierras. It is really cool to have the date attached also. Thanks to all who have posted. I truly wish that I could have had time and energy when I was younger to see these beautiful places of God's creation, that He made for our enjoyment.

I love pictures of the Sierra too!  Even though I took this trip in June 2013, it sure felt like August with the lack of snow present.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »

Bj, the picture is a bit deceiving as the lake was down about 20 + feet and maybe half full at that time.  I heard later they drained the lake down to a mud hole, where even the water taxi could not operate.  They ended up shutting down the resort earlier than scheduled due to low lake levels.

We were there at the resort the weekend they closed. The water taxi had been closed for several weeks.  We did have some snow. It would have been a neat spot with some water in the lake.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »
Hot Creek - Not the greatest fishing in the hot water, but I did catch a couple of small carp.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:14:44 AM »
Hot Creek - Not the greatest fishing in the hot water, but I did catch a couple of small carp.

Didn’t know Hot Creek held any carp!  I only caught Rainbow and Brown trout myself.  Using a “dry” fly is the secret to some good fishing at Hot Creek. :fishing4:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »
I was headed south bound to the PCT/JMT so I ended up taking the Bear Creek trail.  Very pretty trail runs right up the canyon along Bear Creek, picturesque and the elevation gain was minimal.

Bear Creek Trail at the John Muir Wilderness/Sierra National Forrest Sign

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »
Didn’t know Hot Creek held any carp!  I only caught Rainbow and Brown trout myself.  Using a “dry” fly is the secret to some good fishing at Hot Creek. :fishing4:

I know, I couldn't believe it either! There was a giant group of them in the blocked off area where the water is really warm. They were all very small. I threw my rapala out there and they all fought over it. My buddy also caught a small carp at upper owens river a few years back, just north of the benton crossing bridge. We couldn't believe it, but I guess it made its way down from hot creek. I might have a picture of his that I can post. Thanks for the tip on the dry fly, I hope to fish hot creek more this year.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 11:44:21 PM »
This is the waterfall below Moonlight Lake in the Sabrina Basin.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
Nice pic. Thanks for posting.  :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
This is the waterfall below Moonlight Lake in the Sabrina Basin.

Great shot of the waterfall Gary!  Moonlight Lake made a good base camp for me to visit Echo Lake, which you can follow the inlet at Moonlight Lake for about 1 mile further up at 11,600 feet and Hungry Packer Lake, which is close by too.  Both lakes also had some decent size Rainbows when I visited there last. 

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 12:59:45 AM »
I was headed south bound to the PCT/JMT so I ended up taking the Bear Creek trail.  Very pretty trail runs right up the canyon along Bear Creek, picturesque and the elevation gain was minimal.

Bear Creek Trail at the John Muir Wilderness/Sierra National Forrest Sign

One of my favorite trails.  You can catch browns, brook and golden between bear diversion and jmt.  Also bear diversion has good size browns, I average ~18". 

You caught rainbows?  I have never caught a rainbow from that creek but I like the thought of a Sierra grand slam from one creek.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:03:44 AM by Heuschele »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:50 AM »
One of my favorite trails.  You can catch browns, brook and golden between bear diversion and jmt.  Also bear diversion has good size browns, I average ~18". 

You caught rainbows?  I have never caught a rainbow from that creek but I like the thought of a Sierra grand slam from one creek.

I was wondering if anybody else ever fished these waters!  Just a tough road (4 wheel drive) to bear Diversion and the trailhead.  On bear Creek towards PCT/JMT, Browns were showing up for the first mile or so, the Bows at 3-4 miles up and Brooks just about everywhere.  The Goldens were mostly in the higher country.

I've done Bear Creek as a day hike many times in the past as it's such a good fishery.  Most fishermen don't go beyond the diversion so I usually have it too myself. :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »
Fishing was pretty good at most of the lakes and streams I passed, including this Lake.

Marie Lake - JMT

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »
wshawkins, did you have cache drops along this trip?  How many days were you on the trail?  Love the pictures of places I've never been.  Thanks.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 04:24:25 PM »
From Scout:

The moon setting over McGee Mountain as the sun rises.
Note the lack of snow.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »
wshawkins, did you have cache drops along this trip?  How many days were you on the trail?  Love the pictures of places I've never been.  Thanks.

I was out for seven nights and carried all my food.  I supplemented my meals with trout.  Cooked up some rice and veggies, added my spices and mixed in the trout.  Six out of the seven nights it was “Golden Trout” for dinner and several mornings it was “golden Trout” breakfast burritos.  I was in heaven with the tasty trout, great fishing and beautiful views.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »
From Scout:

The moon setting over McGee Mountain as the sun rises.
Note the lack of snow.

Great shot Scout!  Looks like the mountain is on fire. :twothumbs:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
Marie Lake and nearby Rose lake, was home to some good views and even better fishing.

Marie Lake at the outlet - JMT

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »
Heart Lake harbored Goldens up to 10”. 

Heart Lake – John Muir Wilderness – Sierra National Forrest

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »
There are three Salle Keyes lakes that sit at about 10,200 ft.  They all consisted of Goldens that run up to about 12”.  Another nice fishery.

Salle Keyes Lakes - John Muir Trail – John Muir Wilderness – Sierra National Forrest

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »
John Muir Trail