Author Topic: Animal visitors  (Read 1602 times)

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Animal visitors
« on: February 13, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
This past weekend, as my wife and I lay in our tent in the middle of a valley in the Adirondacks, we got serenaded by a large pack of coyotes. Since most critters are in hibernation, I hadn't put our food bag anywhere special, and it hung on a branch stub by our snowshoes. The last time this happened, I wasn't as worried, as our food was in a bear can. However; the last time  we got the 'yote chorus  it was in Oct. and we were camped on Chickenfoot. Twice I've seen coyotes trotting and sniffing along Rock Creek Lake and wonder if they are getting bolder. I did have a pack ripped and broken into by coyotes camped in the desert out by Hot Creek. (skied in back when it was still legal to swim and there were no restrictions- the yotes  got bacon and butter)  .  We left camp and went over Morgan Pass for a hike, and it made me a little nervous, even though our food was protected. I've also caught a marmot rummaging inside a daypack at the Treasure Lakes.  Has anyone else  been marauded by critters at RCL or vicinity?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Animal visitors
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30:56 AM »
In the Rock Creek area, marmots are the #1 problem for me.  Never had any problems with coyotes but I seen them from a distance.  Biggest thief in the Sierra in general are the Racoons.  Their cute looking but will tear your pack to shreds if you don't watch for them.  Also seen squirrels and mice try to steel little treats.  No problems with bears. :)
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:39:48 AM »
I all my time campig at Eastfork and Convict I have seen 2 destroyed sites at Eastfork and 1 at Convict all by Bears ! Not there fault though all 3 food was left out.

Erik and I had a bear run through our site at Eastfork in  August 2012 and last August at 4 jeffery/Bishop creek .
The Creek is Waiting...

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:07:26 PM »
Have had many critters at the cabin. We have had a few bears, one who really wanted the burgers I had on the BBQ on night.  Then there was the family of raccoons that scared the crap out of us when we opened the back door. They thought we had opened it for them and just started to wander in...ever try and get a raccoon out of your house? We have had coyotes, foxes, skunks, deer, squirrels and even a young hawk who landed trying to catch the chipmunks he had scared under the deck...chipmunks lived to see another day.  For 35+ years I visited the canyon and never saw one bear.  Then I bought a cabin in the woods, and now we are neighbors.
The creek is waiting...

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:09 AM »
I've been going to the Canyon since the late 50's and last year saw my first bear. It was meandering through the meadow at Big Meadow in the late afternoon, and appeared to be a juvenile (although I didn't get close enough to ask for ID). Caused quite a stir amongst the campers, but he was on the far side of the meadow just minding his own  business. Never saw a trace of him after that.