Author Topic: Rock Creek Road Construction Notice  (Read 4924 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Road Construction Notice
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »

Rock Creek Road Construction

The long awaited Rock Creek Road Construction will be taking place soon for all of the 2014 and 2015 seasons!  The work involves widening the road and adding a bike lane.  Expect delays of 30 minutes or more from Monday through Friday.  Work will be suspended for the major 3 day weekends and for weekends.  Expect work to start sometime in May.

See the full story:
http://www.monocounty.ca.gov/roads/page/rock-creek-road-construction-notice
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Road Construction Notice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »
I'm probably the only one but I don't have a problem with the road except certain drivers that think its a race track. I would hate to see a better road bring more people to the creek..

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:58:33 PM »
I agree with you Roy. I hope the contractor does a better job with the road than the contractor did with installation of the new toilets at Iris Meadows.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:46:12 PM »
oh boy,,,,   i would not not to be the flagman at the bottom of the hill that has to tell folks that are arriving to the canyon that they have to sit and wait for 30 mins before heading up... oh dear!   

'are we there yet? .....   i have to go pottie!  ....    i am hungry! ......

i am going to have to deal with myself after a long drive,,,, cant imagine dealing with a car full of anxious kids:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
This will be fun.  We go into town for groceries, guess I will need to bring an ice chest with me.  Unfortunately, they gave no notice to us cabin owners...they probably don't even know people live up there.
The creek is waiting...

Mr. Magoo

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »
oh boy,,,,   i would not not to be the flagman at the bottom of the hill that has to tell folks that are arriving to the canyon that they have to sit and wait for 30 mins before heading up... oh dear!   

'are we there yet? .....   i have to go pottie!  ....    i am hungry! ......

30 minutes more for PIE  :eating:  :pie2:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:28:47 AM »
Hope they build the bike lane like they did in Mammoth lakes, off the road completely.  If they actually build a bike lane on Rock Creek Road, it could be very dangerous due to the speeders as Retired mentioned.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:30:33 AM »
Like retired said...this will only serve to increase speeds up and down the mountain. Just makes me wonder what impact this will have on the ecology now. Increased speeds=more animal deaths. There are a lot of deer that are out early in the morning and later in the afternoon. There is not one time I ever go there that my wife and I don't see some little animal dead on the road. It's heartbreaking. That is THEIR home. I understand the road may need repairs or widening to add for safety for bicycles, but there is a great need for speed enforcement as well.
"Don't get no better than this!"

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »
I can count on about 3 fingers the number of times I have seen a Mono Sheriff driving up or down Rock Creek road and I have never seen a CHP on the road....I just don't think the road is in bad enough condition to warrant re doing it....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »
Here is info on the road project, looks like a seperate designated bike lane that will connected to the road.

The existing Rock Creek Road within the project corridor is a two-lane, paved roadway with widths varying from 22-24 feet and variable width unpaved shoulders, as well as multiple unpaved pull-offs and intersecting roadways.  The proposed project involves widening the existing roadway to accommodate two 11-foot travel lanes, a 4-foot wide striped bike lane adjacent to the southbound (uphill) travel lane, and 1-foot paved shoulders (a total paved width of 28 feet).

The creek is waiting...

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »
 A 4' bike lane next to an 11' travel lane is very tight and hazardous IMHO
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
A 4' bike lane next to an 11' travel lane is very tight and hazardous IMHO

Especially if the bike lane has bikes going in both directions in one lane.  I see enough knucklehead bicycle riders here in Carlsbad, most of them are clueless about the rules of the road.  As a motorcyclist, their blatant disregard for road signs and signals is maddening.  And that's not even the club riders.

John

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 05:30:43 AM »
Especially if the bike lane has bikes going in both directions in one lane.  I see enough knucklehead bicycle riders here in Carlsbad, most of them are clueless about the rules of the road.  As a motorcyclist, their blatant disregard for road signs and signals is maddening.  And that's not even the club riders.

John

Kaiser pass above Fresno is a single lane windy road of significant elevation and the only road into some significant areas of the sierras (Edison Lake, Florence lake, mono hot springs, bear diversion, etc.).  Every year there is a bike race up to kaiser pass and back down.  The bikes are racing on a 1 lane road being shared by cars.  One bicyclist was foolish enough to say something when their speed was impacted by 2 cars squeezing by each other.  The wife ripped into him about the stupidity of this race on this road.

To put it in perspective it would be similar to having a bike race to the end of the rcl road and back with the road being a single lane for the 2 way traffic.

I do not know if they are required to obtain permits for such a race but the race should not be allowed. Someone will get seriously hurt at some point.