Author Topic: 22nd-24th trip  (Read 4172 times)

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
22nd-24th trip
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
Hey guys and gals! I went up to the Bishop area this past weekend and wanted to share a few things with you. It was more of a family trip than a full fishing trip, but i still managed to get some good fishing in. We arrived in bishop saturday around noon. After checking into our hotel we shot over to lower owens off chalk bluff road. I fished there for about 3 hours and landed 3 nice browns in the 10-12 inches range.

Sunday we went up the hill to upper owens. I landed 2 decent rainbows in about 2 hours and I had a few missed fished.

We also shot over to hot creek for about an hour. I didn't catch anything, but i had 4 nice bites working a streamer just before leaving.

We then checked out mcgee creek. The creek was low and you can see there wasn't much snow up there. No fish.

Now you can't go up there without stopping by Rock Creek!!! We tried to drive all the way to the lake, but the little snow that was there managed to close the road right at east fork. We just messed with the snow there and down at palisades.

Sunday morning I hit the power plant hard for about 3 hours before shooting back to checkout. This was definitely the hottest fishing! It took an hour for me to find what they wanted and then it was bite after bite. I ended up landing 5 trout including a nice 1lb 10 oz rainbow. I had alot of bites though!

Overall, it was a perfect weekend trip.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:08:29 PM by 87corvetteking »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd-24th trip
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »
Sweet trip!! Pictures make it look more like early spring than February in the Sierra.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
Nice 87corvetteking, just what the doctor ordered!  Great way of finishing off the weekend with that large bow.  Not sure what you’re doing wrong at Hot Creek?  That spring creek has some of the highest fish populations in the country.  But nice way to start up the year!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »
wshawkins - Yeah, I definitely see the potential to put up good numbers at Hot Creek. I tried a couple dry flies and various nymphs and I wasn't getting anything. I think it might have just been a matter of time. I think i was just narrowing in on what they wanted and then had to leave. I cant wait to get back out there and redeem myself though.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
You did great!   :twothumbs:  Fishing Hot Creek is no means considered easy.  The trout see a lot of flies and anglers as well as other visitors, so the trout can get very fickle.  Even though it can be a little tough to fish at times, it can produce some nice trout when fished correctly.  :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »

Now you can't go up there without stopping by Rock Creek!!! We tried to drive all the way to the lake, but the little snow that was there managed to close the road right at east fork. We just messed with the snow there and down at palisades.

Is the road closed or just impassable?   Also does anyone know correct conditions of road leading to Laurel Lakes?

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
Thanks wshawkins!

Heuschele - I'm not sure about the road to laurel lakes, but the road to Rock Creek was just impassable. I didn't see any closed signs or barricades. The road was just snow covered with warning markers in front of the snow. A couple of people just parked and walked to the lake.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:38:50 PM by 87corvetteking »

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Great report and pictures. Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.  :clap:

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 10:51:02 AM »
Nice fish! PVR is really good right now. I've heard that it will only get better because they stock heavy for the blake Jones trout Derby. We are all aware that Rock Creek, Mcgee Creek and Laurel Lakes are closed till The last Saturday in April right? Just making sure. Good fishin!!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
fun, fun fun!    really appreciate the photos..   even if they are lacking in snow :(   
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
The Rock Creek road is always closed at East Fork during the winter, if there's snow, it's a cross country ski area. In the last few weeks I've seen the gate open, then closed again...maybe they closed it due to the upcoming storm, maybe because of all the cars parking above the Sno Park.
The road to Laurel will be open when Mother Nature allows it, nobody controls it. With some of the off camber turns up there, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait until the road is completely dry to try it...just my opinion.
Thanks for confirming the fishing dates Sierraslam.

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 12:46:38 AM »
Nice fish! PVR is really good right now. I've heard that it will only get better because they stock heavy for the blake Jones trout Derby. We are all aware that Rock Creek, Mcgee Creek and Laurel Lakes are closed till The last Saturday in April right? Just making sure. Good fishin!!

I was mostly curious for a potential visit.  I have a vehicle that can handle a lot of snow/ice.

I suspect I will not make it up there to fish until late May unfortunately.