Author Topic: Cottonwood lakes area fishing info sought  (Read 3544 times)

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Cottonwood lakes area fishing info sought
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:56:06 AM »
Memorial weekend I was considering backpacking out of Horseshoe Meadow area (there are a few potential THs).  I want to fish but I would like to be able to have fish dinner so cottonwood Lakes do not meet the dinner desire. 

So I was curious about fishing prospects at south fork lakes, long lake, high lake, and cirque lake?  Do they have trout, what type (golden?), and how difficult to catch?

Thanks

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Cottonwood lakes area fishing info sought
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »
Cottonwood Lakes area does not open to fishing until July 1.   I've been to all the lakes if you want to PM me for details.

John

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »
Yeah, I was fishing Lake No. 3 a few years in back in mid-June and ran into the DFG. They were setting traps and carrying buckets of fish down to hatcheries. They informed me the lakes were closed but I guess they felt sorry for me after the long hike and said I could fish No.5 if I could make it up there through the snow.  Luckily there was no warden with them.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
As John mentioned, Fishing is open July 1 to November 15 for Cottonwood Lakes 1 through 4, and are catch-and-release only that require artificial lures or flies with barbless hooks.  There is a five-fish limit at Cottonwood 5 if you can make it.

All the lakes in the area hold golden trout, some of considerable size!  For South Fork Lakes, Long Lake and High Lake, they also hold golden trout.  Cirque Lake was fishless as of 2011 (last time up there).

Can be a very busy area in the summer.  While fishing Long and High Lakes, must have been more than 20+ backpackers hike by me as I was bringing in another beautiful trout, as the New Army Pass trail runs right next to these lakes.  No problems, I gave them a nice show! :flyfish:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
Fished High Lake on my way over new Army Pass. The fish were small, but what a show they put on! After catching about 8 fish I sat back and watched them feed. Bright bodies jumping all the way out of the water. Cool stuff. I got caught fishing the Cottonwoods before the season as a young guy because I didn't check the regulations, like when it opens. DFG was collecting eggs from Long Lake and I just walked right up to them. Luckily my total facination in what they were doing took the edge off. Very cool guy's. Spoke with them for a 1/2 hour or so, and they did not even write me a ticket. Make sure you know where your at and what baits are allowed. DFG fines are steep.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:51:54 AM by Sierraslam »

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
Cottonwood Lakes area does not open to fishing until July 1.   I've been to all the lakes if you want to PM me for details.

John

So south fork, long lake and cirque lake are closed for fishing until July 1?  I was hoping to climb Langley via new army pass and get some golden for dinner.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 06:20:55 AM »
Yes, I believe the whole area, even Cottonwood Creek down by Horseshoe Meadow and the unnamed meadow creek as well.  I'm not sure about Whitney Meadow if you were to go over Cottonwood Pass.  That area drains to the Kern and maybe open at end of April.   You can keep a goldie from South Fork Lakes, I think Cirque Lake is fishless as stated above.

John