Author Topic: Reservations are made!  (Read 3713 times)

oakboy

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Reservations are made!
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:30:20 PM »
I have set up reservations for our first family camping trip to Rock Creek.

The wife and kids are super stoked.  We will be at the East Fork Campgrounds in site 127.  Anyone have any good or bad info on the site.  One question my wife had was are there any restrooms close?  On the Recreation site it does not show restroom locations. 

Also what else beside fishing is there to do up around Rock Creek?  I have three kids under 5 so my options are pretty limited.  Either way i am excited to introduce the kiddos to the Sierras and spoil them with Rock Creek.

<><
KP
<><

KP

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Reservations are made!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
I wouldnt know about the Campsite, as I've never been to it. But besides fishing I'd take them to the Hatchery to see all the fish. My dad took me when I was younger and I've never forgotten it. It's great fun. Back then there were Fish and Game guys everywhere ready to talk to you and take you on a free tour. I was there recently and it was a ghost town. No money i guess. The fish were all still there, and it was still great to see and feed them.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:50:44 PM »
Two pit-toilet building is between 124 and 125. There's another one on the other side of 129, across the road, so all should be well for your group! It's a nice location. Big pine tree, if I remember correctly.

We used to have a static link with links to youtube videos of some sites. Anyone help out?

As for things to do, you can do any number and length of hikes. Kids might like it along the creek starting at Upper Pine Grove. Or around the lake. Definitely around Convict Lake. Hatchery is a great idea, along with viewing Hot Creek.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »
you said you are going,  but did not say when?  Either way,  there is fishing,  hiking,  eating pie,  roasting marshmellows,  looking at the bluest sky you have ever seen....need any more options? :pie2:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »
127 is one of my favorite off creek sites ! It has a big Pine tree in it so you will get some shade and it is right across from the creek and a great little fishing hole .It's where I taught my kids to fish ,it has a big grassy bank and a large area without trees it is also one of the spots where they dump fish when they stock the creek. There are a couple of negatives to the site for some people, it is a small site by Eastfork standards so depending on what you are sleeping in Tent or Trailer ? if you are in a Tent it has a small tent area if you are in a trailer you are fine it is also very close to the road . The bathroom is just a couple of sites down in either direction and they are flush toilets not pit they also have sinks with running water (cold) . You and your family are going to love it ! Make sure you take them up to the lake and to the resort for PIE  :pie: There is also a great trail that goes up through Eastfork all the way to the lake BEAUTIFUL ! Have Fun  :camping:
The Creek is Waiting...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
Mammoth Lake community pool off of Benton road ,it's cheap ,they have a kiddie pool that's heated and a Large pool.They have showers if you feel the need. I think it opens to the public every afternoon .When my kids were small I used to take them they loved it
The Creek is Waiting...

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »

oakboy

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!  we will be heading up late June.  The wife will be happy about the flush toilets.  We will be in a tent trailer so sounds like we will be good on space.

One question, how long is the hike from East fork campground to the Lake?

<><
KP
<><

KP

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »
I would hike them kids to the Pond from Upper Pine Grove, and back into Little Lakes Valley at least to Mack Lake. Also, a trip to Bodie may be in order. All kinds of stuff to do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
East Fork to the lake is about 2-3 miles one way.  A good plan is to hike up to the resort,  eat pie,  then hike back! yummm :pie2: :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 07:03:21 AM »
3 miles up and 3 miles back  for the most part easy BUT the last stretch up kicks my butt... switch backs short but steep  :hiking2:. It is such a Beautiful hike ,it follows the creek all the way and if the flowers are blooming it so so pretty .If you get tired just turn around .

It's are 1st hike anytime we camp at Eastfork and YES we go up to the resort have PIE and then hike back  :pie:
 :pie2:
The Creek is Waiting...

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »
For suggestions for things to do for kids and family's...I can name a few as I have been coming to the Canyon since I was a toddler...and I ain't no toddler anymore :) 

Hot Creek Fish Hatchery - The hatchery is located near the Mammoth Airport and is free...but bring quarters to get fish food to feed the fish.

Hiking - There are a lot of little trails around East Fork so you could hike around camp.

Whitmore Hot Springs - Along 395 before Mammoth, make a right at the Green Church on Benton Crossing Road and the Whitmore Hot Springs Swimming Pool is on your right.

Shopping - There are some retail stores in Mammoth and a McDonald's...so you can fish and the family can go hang out for the day in Mammoth.

Laws Railroad Museum - This is located in Bishop along Hwy 6.  Some old buildings and trains make up this large Museum.
The creek is waiting...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »
Campsite photos are here: http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/East-Fork

Thanks Michelle for posting this again.

Maybe Tim or one of the other mods could re pin this link.

Paul
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »