Author Topic: Rock Creek Road Construction  (Read 42239 times)

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Road Construction
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
Has construction actually started on the road?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
Re: Rock Creek Road Construction
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »
Surveying has started. According to a letter I received from USFS, construction is planned to start May 1, depending on weather. Says contractor plans to limit operations to weekdays, but may need to work some weekends. No holidays will be affected. Road will remain open, but there may be delays of up to 30 minutes. The entire roadway will be reconstructed from Crowley Lake Drive to just past the Pack Station. Widened in some spots 'to provide a consistent pavement width and a paved shoulder' and a bike lane on the uphill side.

(I'm sure this was posted on another thread, but since I had the letter out....)

Patience for pie!   :pie2:

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
No letter for me, probably sitting with some red tape on the desk of the Forest Service.
The creek is waiting...

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
Update received today; not much of a surprise:

The 30 minute traffic delays along  Rock Creek are anticipated to start next week. Note that parking will be extremely limited in the canyon and prohibited in the active construction zone.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
today's update from facebook:

Major reconstruction on the Rock Creek Road has started and is planned for the duration of the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
Survey work, fencing, and erosion work have been completed thus far with minimal delays. Ground breaking activities that will reduce traffic flow to one-lane are expected to start the week of May 12 and will begin the longer (up to 30 minute) delays.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is overseeing the project that will improve the road, widen it, and provide a bicycle lane along a nine-mile stretch between the Rock Creek Pack Station and Crowley Lake Drive.
This year, re-building of utilities and culverts is planned. Additionally, the reconstruction will begin along the upper part of the project (near the Rock Creek Pack Station).
While the road will remain open to traffic throughout the project, visitors may experience delays of up to 30 minutes. Additionally, at certain times, the road may need to be closed for longer periods of time, Monday through Friday. These closures will be planned approximately two weeks in advance so that recreationalists can plan their visit.
Parking will be extremely limited in the canyon and prohibited within the active construction zone. This includes trailhead parking areas for the Hilton Lake trailhead. Please carpool if possible. When roadside parking, ensure that your vehicle is entirely off pavement.
“This project addresses a desire of the visiting public to have safer access up to the popular recreation areas along Rock Creek,” said District Ranger Margaret Wood. “We request your patience in the short-term during this project that will dramatically improve the experience in the long-term.”
Construction will be suspended for Memorial Day weekend, the Independence Day holiday, and Labor Day weekend in order to minimize delays.
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
I still think its a big waste of taxpayer money.............

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
2 Dumb questions LHR. How can campers find out about closures in advance? Will the people that ride the bikes be filtered into the traffic mess that will exist? Do you know what the plan is?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:46:59 AM »
2 Dumb questions LHR. How can campers find out about closures in advance? Will the people that ride the bikes be filtered into the traffic mess that will exist? Do you know what the plan is?

i know nothing!:)     

i dont even know if they know anything:)    they may just wing it until they figure it out.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:12:22 AM »
Here's a link to the Mono County site that has information and another link to a page that will have info on closures on Rock Creek Road:

http://www.monocounty.ca.gov/roads/page/rock-creek-road-construction-notice

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:43:03 AM »
If you haven't already like the Rock Creek Facebook page , they have been posting info there.
The Creek is Waiting...

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »

I have made a request via Mono County to find where I can get the latest info since I am a resident and have recieved no response.  The link they provide is just to the Mono County page for Rock Creek, no road construction info as of yet.  Nice that Rock Creek's Facebook page will have updated info, that may be your best bet for now. 
The creek is waiting...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »
an update from facebook:

Heres a little road construction update... There is none on the weekends! Enjoy a worry and wait free drive up the canyon on saturdays and sundays and also before 9am and after 5pm on the weekdays. The roads havent been torn up ( and probably wont be for most of the summer) so you can still ride your road bikes up. Our summer store hours are 7am-7pm with the grill closing at 3pm we have pies, crisps and cobblers made fresh daily and gourmet burgers made to order. See you up here!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »
I`ve put chains on to get to RCL to fish, road construction is not going to stop me.  :fishing3:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
The contractor for the Rock Creek Road reconstruction project is tentatively planning to begin pulverizing the asphalt on the upper two mile section of the project, beginning this upcoming Monday June 23.  Parking restrictions for this section, beginning  1000’ below Pine Grove Campground and extending to the Rock Creek Pack Station, will go into effect Monday June 23.  This includes the Hilton Lakes Trailhead parking lot.  Parking will be permitted in this section for the Fourth of July holiday weekend, beginning at noon on July 3.  However, parking will once again be restricted as of Monday July 7.  The contractor’s plans are tentative at this point.  If the pulverizing operations are delayed, the parking restrictions will be delayed as well.  Please adhere to the dates noted on signs located in the construction zone as these will be updated with the most current information.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
By the way, work definitely starts before 9 am, contrary to what we were told. At least as early 7:30 am. But so far the delays have been short.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
Pulverizing of the asphalt on the upper 2 mile section for the Rock Creek Road reconstruction project has been delayed until after the Fourth of July holiday weekend.  Parking restrictions for this section, beginning  1000’ below Pine Grove Campground and extending to the Rock Creek Pack Station, are now scheduled to go into effect Monday July 7.  This includes the Hilton Lakes Trailhead parking lot.  Please adhere to the dates noted on signs located in the construction zone as these will be updated with the most current information.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »
Trouter  :clap: I agree  nothing was wrong with the existing road except its hard for RV's and out of control cyclists. When I first came up to Rock Creek Canyon in the early sixties with my Dad the asphalt ended 3 miles up from Toms Place and we made it up to our campsite fine in my Dads 1962 Ford station wagon. Yea paving it up to Mosquito Flats has made the drive easier and more accessible over the years, but I don't want it easier (safer) for that big RV to camp next to me at Upper Pine Grove or Big Meadow so that I have to listen to their generator instead of children, people having a good time, birds and the wind in the aspens in late afternoon. Next thing the access road into these campgrounds will be widened so that these vehicles have easier access. I agree with your point on contractors who never finish anything on time or within their original bid. And a Government that has no clue how to spend money where its needed (R 96). Whoa better end before I cross the line. Thanks again!  :twothumbs:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »
well there is one thing...  the out of control cyclists cant get their pie now.

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 05:11:06 PM »
Don't talk about pie. You should have seen the mess at about 11:00 with the crew working right in front of the store and stopping traffic. What a mess! It sure didn't stop anyone from getting in there for their pie though.  :pie2:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »
You are correct about that line,   Trev Dog.  This is the one message board I know of that for the most part,  stays non political.   I know of a couple of others that let things get out of hand,  so I don't post on them anymore.  This post is very close to getting too political in my opinion,  so let's be careful guys,  before we have to lock the thread down.  Talking about if and when the road will be finished is one thing,  but talking about beauracrats and unions is heading in the wrong direction...thanks guys...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
Update from the Forest Service:

Utility relocation will begin next week at the first bridge location at Rock Creek Road.  These relocations will necessitate holding traffic up to a 30 minute delay at this one location.  Although the delays at the other locations will still be minimal, the entire delay going up the canyon could be between 45 to 60 minutes.

Parking restrictions are still in effect from below Pine Grove Campground to the Rock Creek Pack Station, including the Hilton Lakes Trailhead area.  Test paving will begin the week of August 20, with production paving scheduled to begin the first week of September.  After paving is complete in this area, parking restrictions will be moved to below the currently restricted area.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
note to self,,,  stop at toms for a bathroom break before heading up the canyon..... 

oh dear, 45 mins to an hour,,..  really? 

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
Jill,
As always thanks for the intel. I'll be Creek/Mammoth bound about the 22nd for a few days. I assume you w/b in the usual meadow?

Note to self: Have a slice of pie in lap to eat waiting in traffic line going down cyn! Bathroom stops for guys are a whole lot less involved LHR... :lol2:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
Are the road crews working on the weekends?

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
Jill,
As always thanks for the intel. I'll be Creek/Mammoth bound about the 22nd for a few days. I assume you w/b in the usual meadow?

Note to self: Have a slice of pie in lap to eat waiting in traffic line going down cyn! Bathroom stops for guys are a whole lot less involved LHR... :lol2:

hello!    just to let you know that jill is back in chicago...   she left in early july this year, didnt stay out very long at all.   

so if you go out to the meadow, it will be empty:(

There w/b fish though... :clap:
Sorry to miss ya'll both but plan to meet up with a few from another board as brought along some "Texas Sunshine" condements that we are so proud of. I did meet Jill last year and almost Cory Baer.  I will be floating through 395 n from LAX to RNO for the air races Sept 4-11 if anybody else there at that time, Love making friends and connections.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:34:45 PM by Little Hardrock »
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.