Author Topic: Rock Creek Road Construction  (Read 41386 times)

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Road Construction
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 10:49:23 PM »
The 4-hour closures scheduled for the week of May 25th have been canceled. This means the contractor will have to give USFS another 3 week notice so the closures will likely be in June.

"F THEM." Typical disparity between trades AND the public *which pays them*!  :giveup:...SAD S.O.B.'s; Sorry. NICE but TRUE response. I'd boycott the creek b/c of these un-cuth baboons. Send it to the powers that be for what it's worth.
ANY idea where JacMack is cc host this year!?
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »
Jack has done Intake 2 , Bishop Creek the last two seasons so thinking he will be there again. Wish he would return to East Fork!!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
yes, come back jackmac!!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »
Hopefully the union running this project won't dictate the summer for the people that come to enjoy God"s Country? But I do have doubts? Reality!

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »
Any word on when the 4 hour delays are going to hit?  Planning to come up June 4th - 8th but don't want to get stuck in the delay nightmare.  How far up is the construction at this point?  Any suggestions for alternate campgrounds to check out in the Mammoth area as a backup plan?  Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Acquaman

Travelling Cirques

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
I drove up on Wednesday May 6 and waited maybe 10 minutes. Got out and chatted with the flag guy. Much easier than I had anticipated. On that day anyway.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »
Any word on when the 4 hour delays are going to hit?  Planning to come up June 4th - 8th but don't want to get stuck in the delay nightmare.  How far up is the construction at this point?  Any suggestions for alternate campgrounds to check out in the Mammoth area as a backup plan?  Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Acquaman

Since they have to give 3 weeks notice, you will hopefully avoid the 4-hr delays during your visit. Lucky!

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »
I went up the hill on Sunday, they had the road torn up below East Fork for less than a mile. Both lanes are dirt, well graded.

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 01:44:35 PM »
Any further word on the extended 4 hour closure dates? Coming up in 2 weeks and hoping we are in the clear. Can't wait to breath in the fresh Sierra air and have some pie!

Cheers,
Acquaman

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »
We were up last weekend and the wait time was minimal (10-15 minutes). The road is pretty tore up (gravel) for a ways up the canyon, but new asphalt starts at East Fork. One section you have to be careful as it is one lane for both directions, so you have to make sure there is no one coming to pass the bridge being constructed.
"Don't get no better than this!"

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
Any further word on the extended 4 hour closure dates? Coming up in 2 weeks and hoping we are in the clear. Can't wait to breath in the fresh Sierra air and have some pie!

Cheers,
Acquaman

Acquaman - they need to give three weeks notice, which has not yet happened, so if you're here in two weeks, I think you'll be okay!

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the info. Anyone heard how the fishing has been? Haven't seen any recent reports.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
Started my summer work today. Pilot car leads drivers up and down, starting uphill just after the second bridge until just past East Fork. The wait on both ends was about 10 minutes. Brief waits at the first bridge as heavy barricades were moved.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:12:29 PM by beldingi »

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »
I'm in Iris.  No controls other than a stop sign
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
I may get chastized by this post. 

I am on the design side of construction, and do my best to minimize the inconveniences to the traveling public by phasing the construction and forcing the contractor to allow access where access is a must, and by keeping the working days to a minimum.  Sometimes I have to deal with upset public travelers because our construction has disrupted their daily routine.  The project is usually needed years before it actually gets built, so the end result is a much better driving surface than before, improved drainage, better walking paths, etc. 

I need to add that I have nothing to do with this project.  If I did I wouldn't say a word here.

Yes it is a huge inconvenience when they have to block the road so they can perform their work.  I bet the guy that said "F them...." is probably a lowly laborer that is maybe 19-20 years that doesn't have a clue what tact is and doesn't care.  If it was the foreman then that is just wrong.  If the foreman was within an ears-shot of hearing that, hopefully he reprimanded the a**-hat for saying that. 

I have also dealt with my share of traffic delays while traveling to see my daughter on visitation weekends.  The worst is being out in the middle of the desert in July with the dogs panting, heat bearing down, car getting hot idling, and having to wait when you need to be somewhere on a schedule and being stuck because the Caltran's contractor is out there improving the road.  Things get heated, literally.  The best way I find to deal with it is avoid it if possible, and that is easy for us that don't live there, just don't go up this year.  Or if you go up there, you already know it's happening, so if you get stuck in the delay, turn around and go fishing or explore around and come back after the delay is over.  Getting mad at the contractor doing his job isn't going to get the job done any quicker. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:34:04 AM by DoubleDingo »
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
Once the road is done it will be great! The road will be better and safer for all the bicycles that ride up and down all Summer long. I can't wait to coast from Mosquito Flays to Toms Place in the new bike lane. Two years of construction and delays is just a drag, that's all. I can't imagine taking my traffic delay's frustration out on the working crew though. By next season it should all be done with.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »
Maybe a downer (no pun) for you, Sierraslam, but the bike lane is only going up hill...
This is only my opinion, but...does anyone really think that the bike riders are going to stay in the new lane? I think not, they don't do it anywhere else there are bike lanes, in my experience.
It will be a nice, smooth drive though.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »
Bummer! I try to keep pedaling to a minimum when riding the bike.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »
Its unfortunate but the downhill ride is all the fun on that road and the riders use the whole road at times (very dangerous)! As a former dirt rider I see the thrill, and if I was 30 years younger would probably be all in! Now I just make sure I keep a safe distance behind them and watch out for them when going up the hill.Second thought If this old surfer was thirty years younger Id do the down hill on a skateboard!  :lol2:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
well going down the road on a skateboard would leave your hands free to eat a piece of pie while heading down the hill:)

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
Construction update:
There is still no planned date for the 4 hour closures. They are still required to give a 3 week notice.
There are 'no parking' signs for May 4-June 19th still along the lower portion of the project.

Current work:
MSE walls
Catch basin and end section installation on culverts
Clearing
Bridge work abutment and wing wall work
Pulverizing and grading
Water truck is still working on weekends

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »
just watch... it will be during club!

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »
(LHR, you jinxed it!)

Construction update from USFS (remember, I'm just the messenger!):
The Contractor has just given a new 3 week notice for the 4-hour long shutdowns.

Tuesday July 7th 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM (4 hour closure) and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (4 hour closure)
Wednesday July 8th 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM (4 hour closure) and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (4 hour closure)
Thursday July 9th 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM (4 hour closure) and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (4 hour closure)
Friday July 10th 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM (4 hour closure) and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (4 hour closure) {Only if needed}

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
hummm.. but all of us up the canyon will be trapped with all of the pie!  :)

or is the whole road closed?   if not, do you know what parts?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:28:54 PM by Little Hardrock »

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure it from Eastfork down to French so once you make it to Eastfork getting pie shouldn't be a problem  :pie2:
We are coming up on the 10th so that should be fun :)
The Creek is Waiting...