Author Topic: A cold opener!  (Read 2307 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
A cold opener!
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »
With Mammoth Mountain receiving a foot of snow over the past couple of days,  I wonder how many unprepared flatlanders are freezing this weekend for the opener and wondering "I can't  believe how cold it is."  lol! :rotflmao:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: A cold opener!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »
It was indeed cold this morning at 17 F* and a fresh coat of snow for the opener in Bishop Creek.  Kevin Lord landed a 7.75-pound rainbow on a white mini-jig around 5:30 a.m. at the North Fork of Bishop Creek to be the leader in the clubhouse for largest fish at the 2014 opener.  This was as 10 am this morning, so still waiting on any reports out of June Lake, Convict and Crowley Lakes.  But the word is that most everyone is catching their limits by 10 am.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

smitty

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Parchers Resort
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
What a gorgeous day....I love a spring snowfall almost as much as one in the fall. As of about 5pm the big fish tally had risen to 9lbs 8oz caught out of Intake II. An 8lb 14oz was best from Bishop creek. Rumors of something over 10lbs were floating around but as of yet unconfirmed. I didn't fish but had a blast shooting the breeze with folks.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
spoiler alert for a future trip report!  :)

fishmas morning:)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:38:43 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »
and from jim king:

Here's what Rock Creek Lake looks like today, trout season opening day, about 12:30. There were about a dozen folks total fishing on the "ice" in two different spots. I was told it was pretty good in the morning, then shut-off mid-day. Nothing big. About 6 to 8 inches of snow fell up there yesterday and last night.

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
At least the lake is still frozen this year and the snow is still falling!  Hope the spring continues to bring some snow...we could use all we can get up there. 
The creek is waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
I just got back..,. if any one says it was a epic opener they are full of you know what...I saw the least amount of fishermen in Rock Creek and Crowley and the Upper Owens that I have seen in years... Will post my report after I clean out my truck.....