Author Topic: Snow white opener  (Read 3241 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Snow white opener
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:30:39 AM »
Arrived last Wed. French Camp at 10:00, first one in camp.  Set up camp and collected pine cones for the stay..Drove to Upper Owens. river was dirty and running very fast, water was at the top of the banks..Went shooting for 2 hours...
Thurs. Drove to Bishop and fished various areas for 4 hours, caught 5 small ones. Thursday night at 1900 hours the wind came and roared thru the campground all night with winds 50 plus. Didn't sleep much with the sound of the wind carrying freight train all night long..
Friday: Temps are dropping, about 32 degrees, windy and sleet coming down by 0800. Decided to drive to Bishop to fish but 40 plus winds made me drive back up the hill. Snow started at 12:30 in campground. By 1400 hrs campground was covered in snow that continued until about 2000 hrs. Had about 2 inches on the ground. Was a beautiful sight with all the trees covered in snow..
Opening day: 17 degrees at 0600 hrs. Drove to Upper Owens, entire Long Valley covered with snow. Saw very few boats on Lake Crowley as I drove by.  Hit the river with very few people for the opener,,, 25 degrees with a bit of wind... Fished for 4 hours and caught 1 19 inch and one 17 inch rainbow on salmon eggs (both pink meat). Never had any bites. Other fishermen I talked to had the same story, very poor fishing... I'm sure the dirty water and very high flows contributed to that.... Thanks DWP
Sunday: Fished the creek in the campground, caught 4, drove to Bishop for warmer weather and caught 6 small ones. When I drove by Toms Place at 0900 hrs,, saw only one car in parking lot. When I returned there were only 6-8 cars when they are usually parked all the way to Rock Creek road on Sunday afternoon..  French Camp had 26 empty sites on Friday and Sat. night, many were reserved sites where people were no shows..  Not the greatest opener, but better than being home. It was worth it to have the snow Friday and enjoy the beauty....

Two men did fall thru the ice at the lake but were rescued by shore fishermen... Lake was 90 percent frozen which surprised me considering the winter we had..  Mammoth received from 28 to 40 inches of snow during the storm....Probably the last they will get this year... Wardens had a checkpoint coming home at the CHP weight station on 395. 15 warden trucks parked there... Took about 90 seconds, showed my Lic. showed my 2 fish and was on my way...

Today I go in for a minor surgery to have a skin cancer removed from my face,,, 3rd surgery since March..

Bad news:  campground fees have gone up to 23.00 a night a 11.00 for us old people with the senior pass... gas was about 4.20 to 4.30 in most stations.... I drove a total of 918 miles in 6 days being gone..

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Snow white opener
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
wow retired...   a cold one for sure!!!

i hadnt heard about the folks falling thru the ice.. glad they are ok.   

best wishes for your surgery... take care of yourself!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
Thanks for the report. A 17" & 19" rainbow is decent with water temps down that low and muddy water. You provided a nice fix until I can get up there.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »
R96, thank's as always for your great report. Hope all goes well tomorrow!

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »
Thanks for the report!  Glad you were able to make your annual trip for the opener. 
The creek is waiting...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Thanks for a great read R96

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »
Keith/Slam Waiting for your report?!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.