Author Topic: Trip report Friday - Tuesday May 2 - 6  (Read 4789 times)

david_lhc

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Trip report Friday - Tuesday May 2 - 6
« on: May 10, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
Got out of Riverside about 6:30 am Friday and got into site at Silver Lake about 1:30. Header over for some lunch at the cafe, unpacked and hit the lake. It was slow we only got one and got blown off the lake the winds were high. Saturday header over to Lake Mary but she was still frozen over, decided to go to old faithful and headed over to Rock Creek Lake. Got there about 11:30 am and the lake was about ¾ frozen over but the beach was open. What a great afternoon 56 trout in 4 hours for the 5 of us. We were able to release most but had to keep about 10 that were goners. All were under 1 lb and winter skinny, but we had double hookups, and 4 fish on same worm and hits within 30 seconds of casting and all the fun stuff when the fish are hitting. Wind was up but beach was mostly protected. We watched the ice retreat some that afternoon. Sunday decided to hit up the back side of Crawley so we drove the dirt road and found a nice beach. One of us got 3 nice ones, with one a nice brown. But it was slow so we headed back up to Rock Creek. Another gets day at the beach my bro John killed it with his waiters and worm but we all got a lot. The best part was the lake was about 40% frozen over when we got there, the wind was up again and we watched the ice melt off the rest of the way. Check out the pic to watch the ice melt away. Hit Toms place up for dinner and got the great open face turkey and a few cold ones. Monday was the best day, left Camp at Silver lake in the dark had to slam the break to avoid hitting a herd of deer on the road, got coffee and gas in Mammoth and hit the back side of Crawley again. Nice morning and we all got several large Crawley lake Trout including my big brown for the trip and my bro’s John 3 pounder. Winds came up about 12 and blew us off. We took the long way home and hit the back roads to view some hot tubs and the Hot Creek and Hatchery. Got back to camp and it started to snow so we hit the creek and my nephew got his big brown for the night, BBQ burgers in the snow and good fishing for the day. Tuesday we finally got a calm day and finally got to fish on Silver Lake as the winds were up then entire weekend. Fished a few hours, then pack up camp in the snow and headed home. We thought we were good but on the way home we found out the I-15 was closed and well the ride home took longer than normal but it was ok as the great weekend kept us company.

Friday afternoon chilling on Silver Lake.

Saturday morning Lake Mary.

Rock Creek Lake Saturday afternoon 3/4 frozen over.

Fish we kept from the day.

Rock Creek Lake when we were leaving Saturday afternoon showing some of the ice.

Crawley Brown and rainbow Sunday afternoon.

Rock Creek Sunday afternoon when we got there.

Josh my nephew getting one.

Bro John with a little bitty guy.

Another pic of the ice receding during the day Sunday.

End of the day leaving to go to Toms for dinner only this little bit of ice left on the shore. Went from 3/4 Saturday to nothing Sunday.

Mondays big fish my bros 3 lb rainbow from Crawley.

My Brown from Crawley on Monday.

End of morning fish stringer Monday Crawley Lake.

Monday afternoon long way home.

Monday evening back at Silver Lake on the creek as the storm was coming in.

Josh's big Brown from the creek Monday night.

Tuesday Morning woke up to this.

Tuesday morning fish in the snow on Silver Lake.

Packing to go home in the snow.

on more thing cuz my Brother John will read this... John got the First, Biggest, Smallest, Most and Last. Happy John ?

Till next time Creekers keep your powder dry.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Trip report Friday - Tuesday May 2 - 6
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
 what a great report!    love all of those photos,,,, amazing how fast the ice melted!  you guys sure covered alot of ground,,, and got covered by alot of different weather :)

thank you for sharing!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:40:58 PM »
Looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing! Nice pictures...Nice trout.   Can't wait to get up to Rock Creek in a few weeks.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
Look's like some Good Old Boy's had a great trip! Thank's for sharing it!

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:17:51 AM »
David nice report and fish.  Looks like llv doesn't have too much snow at least on the one side facing the south? Is that a correct assumption? I'm thinking of coming up MD w/e and any thoughts of the higher up snow w/b appreciated. Yeah, I know MD w/e is going to be full of people looking at the EF campsite availability; but that's my window of opportunity. Thinking of going up the cyn and camping overnight at some of the closer lakes Hidden or Box just to be away from the crowds and day hike up the valley further.  Thoughts? Much obliged.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:20:19 AM by TEX »
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »
Great report and pictures. I was up that way those dates as well. Josh's big Brown looks like a Rush Creek Cutthroat to me. Great looking fish! One our group got a nice Cut out Grant Lake. Crowley is awesome this time of year eh? Big trout w/ red meat! Great trip! good fishin!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:53 AM »
Yeah, Josh's big Brown appears to be a Cutthroat, but what a great looking trout!  June Lake Loop has Cutthroats throughout the Loop.  Looks like you had a good trip.  Thanks for the report!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
Very nice report, thanks for sharing. Looks like goodtimes for sure
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !