Author Topic: Tackle Suggestions  (Read 1999 times)

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Tackle Suggestions
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:46:58 PM »
Good afternoon all,

Coming up in a few weeks for a four day trip with some buddies.  What is everyone's favorite 4 lb test and why?  Fire away!!!

Cheers!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Tackle Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »
4lb Trilene XL with 2lb fluorocarbon leader if you’re spinning.  P-Line Floroclear also works well.  Use a good knot for the fluorocarbon leader and wet the line before you cinch it.

I have used fluorocarbon for a time as my main test line, but it is more expensive and was prone to knot slippage.  I catch just as many if not more fish with Trilene XL than I did with fluorocarbon and it's nowhere near as persnickety.  But I like fluorocarbon as my leader on my spinning rig.

Above Rock Creek Lake in Little Lakes Valley, I like to use an ultralight spinning rig with nothing over 2lb.  A light fly rod (2-3 wt.) works great up there too!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »
Thanks for your input.  I have been using the Berkley Vanish the last couple of years but always looking for new suggestions if something works better for others.  Heading up to June Loop on Thursday and feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.  We normally like to camp at Big Meadow or Rock Creek Lake campground but don't want to chance the delays on the road with the construction and all.  Anyone have any input on the delays?  We would like to get up the the lake one of the days.  Any fishing reports for the June Loop?  What lures or flies have been hitting?

Cheers,
Acquaman

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:28:12 AM »
June Lake Loop is a great place to fish!  The hot bait of late for the June Lake Loop has been the Berkley Mice Tails in a Pink/White pattern using a size 10 hook.  Favorite lures include the Thomas Buoyant in gold/red, Kastmasters and Super Dupers.  If you are a fly fisherman or like to toss a fly and a bubble using a spinning rod, try using a Blue Dunn, Flying Black Ant, Mosquito or Black Gnat.  But my best producer has always been a Streamer in dark colors used with a dropper on the inlets/outlets. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »
Acquaman, we used inflated nightcrawlers at the extremely low Grant Lake and limited three days, though you have to take plenty of sunscreen.  We chose the back side to the north of the horseshoe dirt parking area.  I swear, I am going to figure a way to make an ultralight shade tent next time.  We heard that fishing in Silver, Gull and June was decent, especially with what wshawkins said about the mice tails.  Our trip was very short so I didn't get a chance to snoop out any reports.  Most guys at the gut station at SLR wanted to know where we fished.  You now know more than they ever got from me.  Incidentally, the majority of our fish were Kamloops with a few browns, two monster rainbows and about four stockers, though they were in the 14" to 16" range themselves.

Grant Lake is dropping by 6" a day and has been being drained by DWP for over a month.  The back end is dry and the channel is probably unpassable by boat now.  Privy Point is really extending out into the lake.  The other lakes are maintaining good water levels.

Tight lines.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »
Thanks for the intel wshawkins & saudust.  We will be on the road at 3am and hope to have lines in the water by 8am.  I will post a report when I get back in town.  Wish us luck.....

Cheers,
Acquaman