Author Topic: Backcountry Conditions?  (Read 1726 times)

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Backcountry Conditions?
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »
Hello all,

Heading up this week (tomorrow) to the area for some fishing and we're curious about the backcountry conditions both in Little Lakes Valley and the Hilton Lakes.  We're mostly concerned about the lake ice-out.  Any intel out there?

Thanks! :fishing3:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Backcountry Conditions?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »
this is from the facebook site:

Little Lakes Valley Trail at Rock Creek this weekend...! Snow-free to Long Lake...still quite a bit of snow after that to Morgan's Pass and Gem Lakes. And, yes...Pie in the Sky Café is open!

have you checked out facebook?  Rock Creek Lake, eastern sierra..    lots of photos there:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Hey exodus,

I’m also heading up there later this week and the consensus is that lakes at 10,500 feet el. and under are mostly ice free.  Lakes in Little Lakes Valley such as Ruby, Treasure Lakes and Gem Lakes are still frozen but Gem Lake ice is getting thin, so maybe not too much longer!  See Picture taken on June 1st from Mono County Tourism of Gem Lake.

As for Hilton lakes, #1 and #2 Hilton have been ice free for some time now.  Load up on bug juice as those pesky mosquitos are out already in the Hiltons.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
Thank you all for the intel!  I also found this from the 31st: http://calitrails.com/2014/06/03/day-hiking-little-lakes-valley/

Gypsy Wind

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »
Thank you all for the intel!  I also found this from the 31st: http://calitrails.com/2014/06/03/day-hiking-little-lakes-valley/

That site ties this one for all time favorites!!! Fantastic TR's and photo's.