Author Topic: FIRST TRIP REPORT 2012  (Read 7219 times)

Chris W.

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
FIRST TRIP REPORT 2012
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »

Hello, happy new season and I know I am late for my posting.
I did make it to the opener but pretty much occupied last week to edit and post it.

I am sure many people are happy and excited that the new season just began.
So am I.  This year I have plans already to hit the Sierra many times and even visit Alaska.
I will post those trips even I come back empty handed. ( sometimes, I do get skunked out.... )

Ok, it was Friday around noon when Yuji and I left LA and headed to the mountains.
We wanted to arrive and check out two lakes before it got dark.
The result was more than what we expected.  My favorite CSI lake had already the access to get there
by using a short cut offroad, and even the second lake was drivable all the way to the parking lot.

Saturday, April 28
Got up at 3:30am and arrive to the end of the short cut offroad at 4:45 am.
Tempurature 24. Cold but good to be back in the mountains.  Started the hike in the dark with flash lights in our hands.
Spotted a few patch of snow but nothing to get in the way of our hike.

The photo is rather rough, but this is me hiking in the still pretty dark cold air.  The lake is to my right below and this was the time I heard a huge splash of water.  Nothing like a 5 or 10 lb fish doing the jump but instead, it sounded like I threw one of my kids in the lake from top of the slope.  So it had to be at least 20lb or something monster in that class.

Before I go on, I should mention that no lunker was caught for this trip as it disappointed me a little.
But sure had fun and ended up with some interesting ones.  For this CSI lake, we fished here from 5:30 am to 7:30 pm
and I was able to land Brook, Brook, Brook, Brown, Brown, Brook, Brown, Brown, Brown, and Brook. That was a total of
10 fish for fishing 14 hours.  ( of course, I took a nap by the lake for 3.5 hours when the sun was up )

This photo is my second fish, a FAT Brook that measured 17".

Another picture of me fishing in the morning light.

Here are three underwater photos of a Brook that measured 16.5"

And this was my biggest catch of the day, a 19.5" Brown.
Second photo was the same fish being released by Yuji.

So I was winning the fishing contest against Yuji until the very last moment when he pulled up a 20.5"er.
Nice fish it was although it doesn't look so big in the photo below.  The second photo is really interesting as Yuji
took the shot when he was releasing this fish.

We hiked back in the dark again using our flash lights.  So I would say, we did fish the ENTIRE DAY.

Sunday, April 29
We arrived to the parking lot of Walker Lake at 5:30 am.  Temperature was indicating 28 so it was a bit warmer than the day before.  I am not good at hiking down grades so this hike to Walker is a pain in my #%@.  We hiked all the way to the other side of the lake as we like that shore line better.  Only 1 fisherman hiked down with us and there were only 3 of us at the lake.  What a quiet opener weekend.  I caught about 13 fish here, mix bag of Browns and Rainbows.  Nothing in remarkable size.  The biggest fish was a 16.5" Brown.

Here are some photos taken at Walker Lake.  It was really nice and calm in the morning but some strong winds started to pick up in the early afternoon.  We called it a day around 3 pm and headed back home.  Coming down the dirt road from Walker Lake, we got to see a few Bambies reminding us that we were in the Sierras once again.

Well, I hope I reminded you what Sierras is like for people who hasn't been up there yet this year.
Yes, I love planting the fishing itch bug in you so you will jump out of your comfy chair and head straight up to the
mountains.  Everyone should get there and everyone should enjoy that special environment.

I will be back again in early June and if the snow situation allows, it will be in the Desolation Wilderness.
Is that considered the Eastern Slope?

Chris W.

The creek is waiting but let me stay dry....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: FIRST TRIP REPORT 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »
FANTABULOUS report Chris!!!!

love those shots of the fish underwater... so clear!!!!  how the heck do you get them to pose like that???   So glad to hear  Yuji made it with you as well:)    Hi Yuji!!!

I believe the Crystal range that runs thru the Desolation Wilderness marks the  east side / west side boundry....  so if you are headed to ralston or aloha or at the south end you are on the east side.. i am gonna have to look at a map to check on spider, buck island and that group up at the north end.. i dont remember which side of the ridge those fall on....but we dont care which side of the sierra you are on...  report away my friend!!  cause 'where Chris goes, people listen'  :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »
Great Report, Chris!

As usual, you came through.

To my way of thinking, if you walk in from the East Side, it counts as East Side...but no matter, your reports are priceless, no matter where you go.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
Great report as usual Chris.  You sure know how to open the fishing season.  I've caught quite a few Brooks in CSI lake but yours looks like a football!  Way to go.   :clap:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
Looks and sounds like a great trip. I've had my eyes on the Trinity float tube by Outcast  -like the weight but not the price.

Sierra Girl

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »
I would call that an successful trip!  Thanks for sharing.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »
Absolutely AMAZING Chris!! You are an inspiration to all of us!!

:goodpost:

:clap:

:fishing3:

Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
Some very nice fish!

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:00:25 AM »
As usual Great Report Chris, and nice fish!
Thank's for posting.

Sierraslam

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
There's the report I was waiting for! Nice work once again. Beautiful fish! Have a great season.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
Great report. Neat pics and thanks for the report.  :goodpost:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
very nice picture and trip report Chris

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
Wow, I get excited for a 12" Brookie let alone one's as big as your arm!  :)  Nicely done once again.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »
Well done Chris, thanks for the pics.

Paul
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
Nice Report!  Nice Fish!

Love those underwater shots, very cool.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

david_lhc

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
Chris,
   Hey is the short cut road to CSI need 4 X 4 or can a nice big truck make it? I seen it up there on the ridge from the aerial maps but have not gone down it. The walk from the normal parking lot is getting kind of long.. also on the pintails are you still getting them in Japan when you go or is there a place in the states were you get them. I have not been able to find any.

Chris W.

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
I would recommend 4 x 4 just in case as the short cut road has gotten worse ( rougher ) within the last 2 years.
My pintails are all from Japan as they are not sold here in the States.

These are sold approx. US$20 retail in Japan ( exchange rate of $1 = 79 JPYEN ).
Very expensive but if I don't take my wife out for the anniversary dinner for one year, I will be able to buy may be 10 of these.
ha ha.  ( I hope she is not reading this..... )

Chris W.
The creek is waiting but let me stay dry....