Author Topic: High Country Lakes?  (Read 3497 times)

kodiakoutdoors

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
High Country Lakes?
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum.  I was directed here by a person from another outdoors forum.  It appears to be a great site and hopefully I can get some help with fishing the high country lakes.  I've tried a search and  can't seem to find what I am looking for.  My son (13 y/o) and I are camping at East Fork June 17th through the weekend.  We don't do much freshwater fishing and when we do it is basically shore fishing with the standard power bait or night crawler set up.  We plan to hike to some lakes that are nearby.  I don't plan to do too much driving once we get there. 

We plan on hiking to some lakes (not sure where), but what I need is info on tackle, bait, and fishing methods.  We definitely don't know how to fly fish so spinning gear is our only option.  Will spinning gear work in the rivers/streams?  Will the power bait set up still work at the smaller lakes that we hike to?  If there are any recommendations on lakes that we should try that would be great also.  Mosquito Flats has been recommended to me. 

This will be our first time camping in the Sierra.  We usually just stay in Mammoth or June Lake Loop. 

Forgive me for all the newbie questions.  I do plan on stopping into Rock Creek or maybe a tackle shop in Bishop and hopefully they can help me out also.  Thanks in advance! :fishing3:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: High Country Lakes?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
welcome to our board!

sorry, i cant help on the fishing questions...(but someone should be able to)  but i can recommend a stop at the resort for a piece of their pie:)   

enjoy your trip, and let us know how it goes!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
First off welcome to Rock Creek Message Board kodiakoutdoors!  I just came back from Rock Creek and fished the creek, lake and backcountry lakes.  Fishing was great everywhere I threw my line. 

My preferred fishing set-up is bubble and fly, and works great up there.  Set-up your spinning outfit with 4 lb. line for the real and 2 lb. for the leader.  Hook up your bubble and attach the leader to a small swivel, which you tie onto your line to keep the bubble from sliding down to the fly.  Set your leader length the length of your pole. 

For Rock Creek Lake, try a dark colored Woolly Bugger or Matuka.  Power bait and worms also works good at Rock Creek Lake.  For the backcountry lakes, Adams, Black Gnat, Gray Hackle, Hareís Ear, Mosquito or Ants (Black or Red) all work great in sizes 14-16.  Leave the power bait at camp when fishing the backcountry lakes.

As for which lakes to fish, thatís really up to you.  Some ideals:  About 1 mile up from Mosquito Flats is Heart Lake.  Fish the inlet on the south side of the lake.  Fish stack up right there and a good place to get your son into some Brookies.  2 miles up is Long Lake.  Try crossing the outlet and fish the deep water nearby.  3 miles up is Chickenfoot Lake, good lake to catch small Rainbows and Brookies.  3.5 miles up is Gem Lakes, perhaps the most beautiful of all Little Lakes Valley lakes.  I have good results at the most upper lake.

Give it a try and let us know how you and your son did!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

kodiakoutdoors

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the great info!!  I'm looking forward to getting up there and trying out the bubble and fly method.  One question about it though, what size bubble and how much water do you fill it with?  Will a standard bobber work?  Thanks again for the help and I will definitely post a report when I return.  Hopefully with some pics too!

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »
Try typing it in your google machine, "fly and bubble" you'll get plenty of links to vids.

I would stick with the small, clear bubble half full of water. I've used this method in creeks and lakes. A nice way to fish if you're in C & R mode, as you'll generally get a lip hook thats easy to remove fly and return the fish to water. I generally crank the reel just fast enough to keep the fly in a trail position, trying not to creat a wake with the bubble.

Best of luck and let us know how you both do.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »

I use the small clear bubble for back-country fishing and fill it half way as playingmenace said.  Big bubbles make big slashes and will just scare the fish away.

The standard bobbers are used for bait fishing.  You need the clear bubbles where you can add water so you can cast a good distance.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
Also, if the water is glassy try filling the bubble completely and let it sink a little to avoid making a wake.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

kodiakoutdoors

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I will definitely try different amount of water in the bubble.  You Tube here I come!!!