Author Topic: Great Owens River fishing  (Read 2471 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Great Owens River fishing
« on: June 08, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
Got to French Camp Tuesday morning and set up camp,,, only 8 people in campground until Friday afternoon... Fished the creek and caught 4 and then went shooting for about 3 hours..Hit the sleeping bag at 1900..

Wed... On the river at 0600 and fished for about 8 hours and caught over 40 fish,,, all on Rooster Tails... Had the river to myself considering there was only about 8 fishermen from Benton Crossing all the way to the lake.... It was a little bit warm in the mid 80's. None of the fish were worth keeping as they were all in the 10-12 inch range...

Thursday, on the water at 0600, caught 53 fish again all on Rooster Tails and again no one on the river....Drove up to the lake to check out the road const... and all I noticed was new signs at the bridges saying  " Narrow bridge  15 MPH" with a yellow flashing light mounted over the sign..... Who the heck is going to slow to 15 MPH.. There were flag markers on both sides of the road going all the way to the lake..At Pinegrove it looked liked a little grading had been done but I personally didn't see any major work being done...

Friday and Saturday on the river both days for about 6-7 hours and caught another 50-60 fish, again the river was deserted with only 8-10 other fishermen...I did manage to catch two cutthroats about 18 inches each which I brought home, they were the only two worth keeping....Had a nice cloud cover both Friday and Sat. afternoon which cooled off the area and had a few raindrops both nights....

I planned on coming home Tuesday but when I called my wife she told me a dentist appointment had been changed to Monday so I had to come home a day early...

Good trip, weather was warmer than I like but its that time of year....

Whats with people that fish with a pole in one hand and texting with the other,,,,Can't people leave those stupid phones at home....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Great Owens River fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
No way Roy,  they were prolly posting pics,  like u should be doing :clap:
Anyway,  great report!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:20:41 AM »
Thanks for the report.

Fishing pressure was low all week.

Vehicle traffic was almost absent from Lee Vining to Coso Junction.  Really strange.

Nice to be able to catch and keep a good-sized trout.  Most of the ones we saw were less than 12", but there were many.

Water flow was OK.

Vegetation in scary-dry.  Almost spooky.

Thanks again for the report.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:16 AM »
yay!    some great trips to put in the books!     

love it when a calculator is required to add up all of the fish:)...   
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

USCJosh

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Nice trip for finishing.

I will be up at French Camp Tuesday the 17th through Saturday.  Looking forward to get my girls fishing the creek and lake again.