Author Topic: Another kamikazi trip for Salim and Topwater!  (Read 3871 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Another kamikazi trip for Salim and Topwater!
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:07:46 PM »
Well,  it was time this past weekend for another of our breakneck trips!  I had gotten up at 4 am to fish a club tourney at Castaic Saturday morning (another of my year round fishing spots,  as I do fish year round :clap:),  so by the time Salim dropped by my place at 4 pm,  I was already dragging.  At one point in the drive we were going through Mojave and the next thing I knew,  we were halfway to Lone Pine lol.  We sacked out at Salim's Uncle's Condo in Mammoth,  and the next morning we hit the Owens for a little while,  and Salim noticed a caddis hatch,  so he matched it and proceeded to catch about 10 fish in no time.  The whole time I was looking at my phone and thinking "ok,  I bet the pies are ready."  We finally got up to the resort about 11:20,  and we were both full of shock and awe that almost all the pies were sold out already.  We did manage to get some of the cream pies and pecan chocolate,  and when we walked out one of the employees informed us that some more fruit pies would be ready in a couple of hours.  We drove downstream "a ways"  to one of my secret spots,  I caught and released a couple of fish,  including a beautiful brown trout of about 12 inches,  drank from a spring coming out of a pipe in the side of the mountain  (a ways from my fishing spot of course),  and headed back for more pie.  Luckily we arrived just in time to buy the last several slices of strawberry rhubarb pie.  We then proceeded up to the flats and hiked up to one of Salim's favorite spots,  where we proceeded to catch at least 30 more fish,   including brookies,  rainbows,  and hybrids.  We hit it for several hours,  and just as we started to leave the wind died,  and the skeeters set in,  so we booked it back down to the parking lot,  and hit the road to come back home.  Hit Schatts just as it was closing,  hit the pizza factory in Lone Pine,  which was an adventure (I am gonna get a free pizza from them if it's the last thing I do),  and arrived back home about 11:30 pm...great trip as always,  pie,  trout,  and the mountains!  What else is there?   :fishing3:  We always like to prove that if you say you can't make it to the Club event cuz you don't have enough time (and you know who you are :lol2:),  well,  you don't need a lot of time!   It's Rock Creek,  get er done!

Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another kamikazi trip for Salim and Topwater!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »
Good times, you guys, and thanks for thr TR and pics.  I don't know how you two can cover so much ground and water in such a short time, but you both deserve huge kudos.  Pretty fish, Terry, and delicious looking pie.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:37:25 AM »
insanity at its best.. love it:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 07:43:09 AM »
You guys cover more ground than most people do in a week!  Nice variety of fish (and pie!) on this trip.  Thanks for sharing.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »
Great trip!  No moss grows on you guys....   :lol2:   
Thanks for the pics. :pie2: :fishing3:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »
it was a fun trip more so than usual in that we were able to fish before and after PIE.

then there is WALTER.
water is either one or several fish at our secret place in LLV, area is 2 feet wide by 4 feet long.
had three strikes in that hole and lost three flies during the strikes.
the the strikes stopped, so I figured that the fish was full and with indigestion.

We missed our friend McGee, he was preparing for finals.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »
Nice report !
Love the pic of the hybrid, beautiful fish.
Sounds like you guys had a great time and great fishing. Was up there myself from Friday thru sunday and really enjoyed it as always. The weather was awesome. Looking forward to July.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
I hear you Terry...
The Creek is Waiting...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »
Great job guys!

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »
Sounds and looks like an awesome trip. :clap:

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
You guys are nuts!! I consider a quick trip to be 7 days!!!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.