Author Topic: Silver Lake Trip 6/18-6/23  (Read 2878 times)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Silver Lake Trip 6/18-6/23
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
Nice ,friendly resort. Fishing not outstanding but caught a few small ones form a rental boat and our inflatable kayaks. Biggest problem was getting blown off the lake every day about 11AM by wind. Once the wind came up, it didn't let up till after dark which eliminated evening shore fishing.
I got up to Gaylor Lakes on Saturday for a lot of brooks but nothing over 10". Had the most fun at the upper lake where it was a fish on almost every cast on the same fly. Still some snow around the lake and some soggy shoreline. Had to cancel a trip to Walker Lake because of a stomach problem so didn't check the water level for Saudust. Did get a pic of the inlet end of Grant Lake. Man is it low for this time of year. Stopped off at Arrowhead Lake on Monday for lunch and a few more small brooks and a lot of people. It's definitely Summer time! It was a good relaxing trip even though fishing wasn't the best. A few Pics follow:

Middle Gaylor Lake... water ski anyone?

More Middle Gaylor

Upper Gaylor

Upper Gaylor

Monster

Dana Meadoe

Grant Lake inlet area

" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Lake Trip 6/18-6/23
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »
Sounds like you had an enjoyable time.  I always do best at the inlet/outlet at Silver Lake, Rush Creek and inlet to Grant Lake.  But first I start the day off at the cafe for a 3 egg omelet and coffee.  Rum!

Never seen Middle Gaylor look so glassy.  Glad you came into some fish there.  Next time up there, get with Andrew on the fishing.  Hes the reason I did so well on my last trip there. ;D
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
Nice pictures BJ, thanks for sharing. I've been planning a trip to 20 Lakes Basin with my grandsons and was wondering if there might still be a little snow. The weather reports are showing wind for the next week so I might postpone our trip.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the TR, bj.  Too bad about the wind at Silver Lake, but Gaylor Lakes looked outstanding!  Beautiful "monster", beautiful fish for sure.  Grant has more water than when we went.  I'll try to post my pictures of the back end shortly.  A truck pulling a RV trailer was driving across the lake bed where your picture was taken!  Maybe DWP is cutting back on the pumping.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
WOW those pics of Gaylor lake are amazing!!!  That's some serious glass, thanks for sharing.
Sorry you didn't make it to Walker lake, only been there twice and definitely hope to make it back there again.

Great report!
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
love the photos!  such great scenery...... bummer about the wind tho......
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....