Author Topic: NF Big Pine Creek_June 23-26  (Read 2884 times)

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
NF Big Pine Creek_June 23-26
« on: June 28, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
I arrived at Upper Sage Flat Campground, June 23 to acclimate.  After lunch I hiked up the trail to First Falls just to see what I was getting myself into.  I entered the trail from the roads end at Glacier Lodge Rd.  It was a little over 3 miles RT.  7:00am 6/24 parked at the TH area and walked the regular trail.  Some people leave their gear at the roads end gate and start from there as the 1st mile is exposed on a hillside.  I think my pack was near 30 lbs. and I slogged my way up the mountain with frequent altitude adjustment stops as well as short water breaks.  The trail is in beautiful shape but is steeper in person than it looks on a map. After the 2nd Falls you begin your ascent towards 1st lake. It took 5 hrs to reach 1st Lake, another 2 to find a site and set up camp. Camped near the inlet from 2nd lake on a flat, sheltered spot with good water 50 yds. way. Other hikers told me all the water up there is potable but I still filtered.  I fished a little in the late afternoon and took a small Cutthroat and Rainbow on a Panther Martin.  6/25 hiked the loop that included 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Black Lake. All were spectacular and hardly a soul.  Fished at Black Lake and caught a small Brown and Cutthroat on a PM. The weather was perfect Tues and Wed. until about 4.  The trail out of 4th Lake towards Black Lake gets a little murky if you walk all the way around it and you have to pay attention to make sure your on the trail to Black Lake.  The trail down from Black Lake is steep and soft and I wouldn't ever walk up that trail.  The Temple Krag was magnificent and always visible. Late afternoon 6/25 the wind came up and blew all night 20-30.  I broke camp at daybreak and made it down the mountain in 2.5 hrs in sporadic rain and high winds. With many thanks to all those who advised, commented and helped me prepare for this trip. It was safe and successful and you can't do better than that.  Having trouble downloading pics, it's my computer, not the site.  More later.  lf

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:32:48 AM by littlefish »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: NF Big Pine Creek_June 23-26
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
Sounds like a great trip except for the wind. Some people don't seem to mind that climb up to the first lake. I thought it was a pretty hard slog myself. If you go back up there be sure and check out Sam Mack meadow. I thought it just absolutely beautiful.

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
Good report thanks for sharing. :clap:

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
The North Fork of Big Pine Creek is spectacular scenery!  Hope your pictures came out ok.  As this is your first post with pictures, you may want to read this before posting your pictures.  Most of us had trouble posting pictures the first time:

Last year I hiked up to the Glacier just below the Glacier Tarn.  Just incredible and beautiful!  Also did the loop but included Summit Lake too.  Glad the trip was a success.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."