Author Topic: First trip 6/19-6/22  (Read 1772 times)

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
First trip 6/19-6/22
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
Left Riverside Thursday around 1:30 pm, rolled into Bishop just before 6 pm, checked in then hit the Bowling alley for a tasty burger and a few brews. Up early, breakfast at Denny's, then on the road to Virginia lakes. Hit the trail to little Virginia and amazingly got our hot spot, WFO on orange, pink and white PW`s, couldn't C&R them fast enough, nothing big though. Kept 2 that where gut hooked and left at around 11 for some lunch. After lunch decided to fish Big Virginia, a lot slower but still manged to C&R about a dozen fish on TB`s, PW`s and NC, still nothing of size.
Finished off a great day of fishing with some great Mexican food and beers at La Casita.
Saturday morning drove up to RCL and once again got one of our favorite spots. Fished for about 2 hours for about 5 or 6 fish after trying just about everything in my tackle bag. Decided to leave and try our luck elsewhere ,because it was too SLOW! (I think maybe we got spoiled the first day!  :lol2:). Drove up to the loop and fished June lake along the rocks on the main road side, talk about dead, Nothing! On our third move I decided to bait and wait  :fishing3: and cast out a Gulp pinched crawler, as I reached down to put my rod in the holder, slam! fish on. I start reeling and the fish leaps out of the water and spits the hook, I swear he flipped me off!!! Fished that spot for another hour for nothing. Drove over to Gull lake around 3pm and fished by the playground, caught 2 or 3 small ones on PW`s. Once again decided to bait and wait and relax and have a beer as we started to get some pretty good wind gusts. Bam, fish on, feels really good, working him slow, just as I see color a voice behind me says "Hey hows the fishing", I turn to say pretty good got a nice one on now as it breaks me off in the reeds!!! OK I`m done, back to Bishop for some Pizza, beer and much needed sleep.
Sunday morning we decided to try our luck at Crowley, rented a boat and trolled for about 3 hours for nothing but weeds. Since our trout fishing luck had dried up, we attempted to hunt for the Sacramento perch. After fishing 4 or 5 weed beds my buddy caught 2 and I caught my first and only SP.
Made it back to Riverside around 6pm, as always another good time in the sierras.
Cant wait to get back up there in a couple of weeks.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: First trip 6/19-6/22
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:16:25 AM »
Sounds like a good trip had by all that came with you!  Surprised you know about the eatery at the bowling alley in Bishop.  Good stuff!  Good fishing (at least earlier) and good eating equals great trip!  Thanks for the report.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: First trip 6/19-6/22
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
so where is the photo of the fish flipping you off?   that is one i would love to see:). 

i am exhausted after reading this report..wow!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....