Author Topic: Lassen Volcanic NP (6/26-7/1)  (Read 3512 times)

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Lassen Volcanic NP (6/26-7/1)
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »
The relatively current webcam image at Manzanita Lake, Lassen...

Well, I took my first camping trip of the summer to Lassen in late June.  It would be our first with 3 fully-functioning little ones.  Last year our littlest was 8 months old and not mobile yet.  This year she's pretty agile, so we knew it would be exhausting to keep up w/ her.

We left Eureka in the rain on the 25th and stayed along the Trinity River at the cabin.  It wasn't raining there much, so heading east should be nice the next day.  When we arrived the rain had stopped, but it was obvious that it had rained considerably.  Still, the soil is not very permeable at Lassen and most of the water ran off instead of soaking into the ground...bummer.

During the trip we were on our feet the entire time chasing monkeys and hiking.  I bought my fishing license in Redding, but I didn't get a chance to use it.  Our littlest spent a lot of time falling down and collecting "ow ow's."  She was fascinated by the deer, geese, and other animals in the area.  She went on her first kayak ride too.

We had one pretty big bummer.  We had initially reserved our site for three nights, so we would have to move on the 29th if we wanted to stay a couple of extra days...which we did.  On the 29th, I woke up and noticed that the sign said that the next group was moving into that site on the first.  SCORE!  We wouldn't have to move!  It would be available for two more nights, so I went down and paid for a couple of more days and went to the lake.

When we came back around 5:00, the sign said that someone was moving into the site on the 29th now and we would have to move.  The hosts had no idea what happened....played dumb.  So after playing all day we now had three tired kids and would now have to move sites.  The people showed up while we were moving and didn't offer to help us or anything.  We at least got our check back.  Don't you love it when people play "pass the buck?"  Nobody would admit anything.  Anyhow it all worked out...I was pretty upset at first though.

Overall the trip was a success.  The kids had a blast, but we (Mom and Dad) were ready to leave by the first.  We're heading back in three weeks for another four-day trip.  I think we're going to try renting a tent trailer for the first time.  Here's a few pics from hiking around...

"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Lassen Volcanic NP (6/26-7/1)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »
Thanks for the TR, Creek Dude, and the pics of your family are priceless as I imagine your time with them was, too.  I can just imagine how thankful you and your wife are to be home, but I'll bet your also excited to be making another trip in the very near future.  A trailer sure sounds like the way to go.  Let's hope this time you get to wet your line...a lot  :fishing3: :fishing3:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Absolutely awesome Creek Dude!  Thanks so much :doglick:

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
Great family pics!  Your kids are cuter than pie.  I fished Manzanita with a float tube  once and did very well, hope you get a chance to wet a line next time.  There's some really nice people in the world,  the camp hosts and the people that wrangled your site are NOT amongst them.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
oh my goodness!   i can hear all those giggles from here!   too much fun!  i need to head north soon...i so love mt lassen:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
Great pics Tim.

Man, they sure grow up fast.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
Yeah, they do grow up fast.  I seems like yesterday that our biggest was being born and we weren't sure how healthy she would be.  Those nine years went like a blink.  I'm guessing the next nine will go even faster...not so happy about that.

The trip was a good one...just exhausting.  It'll be nice to be back there.  I think we go back around the 24th.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »
Very Nice Tim

missed you yesterday when I had the ONE for breakfast.  :)

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »
I still miss grilling breakfast at the resort and talking to everyone...good times.