Author Topic: Ruby Lake Fishing  (Read 6371 times)

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Ruby Lake Fishing
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
Looking at going on the short hike up to Ruby lake in late June this year.  How's the fishing in general at Ruby?  Any better times of the day or spots to look for? 

I've fished the rest of LLV quite extensively, but have never made it up to Ruby.  I don't think Mills will be unfrozen by the time I arrive this year so I'm not planning on heading up further.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Lake Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
Ruby is one of the prettiest lakes I believe.  Itís a joy just to hike up there and look at it.  Itís a Brook lake with 7-10Ē average.  Fishing is good anytime, but if you come in the evening the whole lake comes alive and fishing is great.  The biggest and fattest fish I caught is from the right side (north shore) near the first inlet.  To the left is a large rock slide thatís unstable.

I was up Mills Lake 3-4 years ago and it appeared fishless.  DFG no longer stocks it (Frog issue).

Another good spot is the outlet stream where it ponds up below Ruby Lake.  Have fun!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Ruby is great. Short hike... yes, Easy.. not so much. Just leave early. Lot's of Brookies and some hybrids too. Have fun!

Sierra Girl

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:27 AM »
My dad says it used to have bows in this lake.  Pretty lake to fish and picnicking at.  I only caught Brooks myself on the small size.  The boulder field is scary, truck size boulders move as you walk over them and I do not weight that much!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »
Yes,  the creek downsteam a couple of hundred yards below the lake is fantastic if you bring along the flyrod.  If you don't...well,  who brings along anything else to the backcountry :lol2: :rotflmao: I hiked up there with Paul,  this is the spot I caught 20 brookies in 20 minutes,  you can too with the flyrod,  especially once it warms up later in the summer...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Thanks very much everyone.  I do the fly/bubble and lure (barbless) thing at the moment - haven't quite moved up to the true fly fishing thing yet.  I'm very excited to visit this new (to me) lake! :)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
well,  if you do want to move up to the flyrod,  that section of creek is perfect-you will catch a lot of fish!

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:52:13 AM »
"Terry's Creek" from the Ruby outlet:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »
Okay Teejay...you have just about convinced me to make that my long day hike this July!!

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
Yeah, looking at the satellite photos, that looks like a nice little run.  Man, I don't know how we all did this before Google Maps/Earth, etc. :)  I know, I know, topographical, trail maps, and experience, but it's just so cool to be able to put yourself there to some extent before you even go. 

flyGirl

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
Ruby is great. Short hike... yes, Easy.. not so much. Just leave early. Lot's of Brookies and some hybrids too. Have fun!

I only seen the Brooks at this lake.  What type of hybrids have you seen Sierraslam?

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
They would have to be Golden/rainbow hybrids,   I have never heard of a brownbow or goldenbrown,  and brook trout aint trout anyway,  they are chars,  so there are not golden brookies...They would have to be Golden rainbows,  the same ones that are common in many area above Rock creek lake... :fishing3:

Sierraslam

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »
I camped at Ruby about 4 years ago. We were supposed to go over Mono Pass, but it was early July and there was still too much snow. We saw people walking by with crampons and decided to wait till later.  Anyway, we caught what appeared to be small, 6-8 inch Rainbow golden hybrids. We caught mostly Brookies, as they have taken over that lake. Maybe they were simply little rainbows, but the orange fins made me think hybrid. i can't remember the name of the lake above Ruby, but i know it had little Goldens when i was a kid. I don't think it would be out of the question to catch a Golden out of Ruby.

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:38 AM »
Mills lake is above Ruby - but it sounds like it may be fishless now.  Perhaps Ruby used to be stocked with rainbows at some point though and some fish migrated down from Mills.  If I'm thinking about this right - technically, any lake around 10K feet and above has the potential to contain goldens or golden/hybrids IF it is downstream from a lake containing those species.  They are certainly more rare in those lakes, but it's possible.