Author Topic: Fishing with kiddos  (Read 2707 times)

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Fishing with kiddos
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site.  I started an annual trip with my boys last year up to the Eastern Sierras.  I'm planning on taking them over to Rock Creek since I've hears such great things about it, but I don't know the area real well.  My boys are 7 and 4 and any suggestions on best places in that area to get them on the fish would be much appreciated.  I've heard the little lakes valley is nice, but not sure if it will be too much of a hike for the little guy. 

thanks again

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing with kiddos
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
Welcome to the board!  Thanks for asking; there is quite a Bit of knowledge here; and sure more will chime in.
You can drive right up and part at RCL. Fishing the outlet is right there and can be real productive. Now; as far as what you use and have the time/patience for is another consideration. Bait: power bait and nightcrawlers work well. As far as lures, the normal Kastmasters, super dupers etc. A red/gold Thomas Bouyant works very well if they especially the 7y.o. can handle cast and retrieve.  There are snags close to shore though.
BTW I assume it's a car camping trip and not a backpacking trip?
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »
Little Lakes Valley is the major draw for most folks, so get to Mosquito Flats trailhead parking early as it fills up quickly.  My daughters started hiking on their own at 4 or 5 years of age (mostly).  If not, they would get a free ride on dad’s strong shoulders. 

The good news is the lakes with fish are not that far!  The first lake out of Mosquito Flats is Mack Lake at 0.5 mile, Marsh Lake is about 1.0 mile and family favorite Heart Lake is about 1.20 miles.  There is one hill that’s called “Crank Case Grade” where it may slow down your boys a little.  You’ll catch mostly Brook Trout in these waters, but Rainbow and some Brown Trout are present too.

Of course you can just drive to Rock Creek Lake and fish along the shoreline just about anywhere for larger trout if the hike up Little Lakes Valley doesn’t pan out.  The possibilities are endless.  Have fun!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
Thank you both for your comments. I think the boys can handle a short adventure (dad is really wanting one).  I was looking at Mack lake and looks pretty close so we may have to hit that up in addition to the rcl.

Thanks again!

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
Mack is easy to hike right on by, as it's not visable from the trail.

Marsh is the next lake, is really close and extremely scenic. May not be the best to fish as it's surrounded by reeds, but a great pic spot with the head wall in the back ground.

Enjoy your trip!
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
The LLV trail is perfect for kids......last year my 3.5 year old and my 5 year old hiked all the way to Heart Lake and back by themselves. We fished a lil but wont bring our rods next time. The kids had way more fun fishing the creek in our campground and at the inlet at the lake. That Canyon is special. I am a relative Newbie only been going past 4 years, but try and go 2-3 trips a year. Started when my boys were 2.5 and 1.5 years old. They love it.

When will you be up there?
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
The LLV trail is perfect for kids......last year my 3.5 year old and my 5 year old hiked all the way to Heart Lake and back by themselves. We fished a lil but wont bring our rods next time. The kids had way more fun fishing the creek in our campground and at the inlet at the lake. That Canyon is special. I am a relative Newbie only been going past 4 years, but try and go 2-3 trips a year. Started when my boys were 2.5 and 1.5 years old. They love it.

When will you be up there?

Hi, thanks for your advice.  We plan to be up mid August.  I can't wait!  We only have a day and a half so we may just stick to the lake and creek as you said. 

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:43:16 AM »
fishdad, don't forget that the altitude at Rock Creek Lake takes some time to get used to before the little guys start trekking.  I'll just bet your anticipation is ramping up!  :fishing3:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.